New to keto questions

(Suzie) #1

Keto calculator says I should aim to eat:

1330 cals a day
105g fat
80g protein

It’s my first day and I’ve only reached 800 cals… (kind of scared about eating that many calories dieting…)
I reached my protein but only around 70g fat.

How important is reaching the calories? And I was thinking of adding coconut and olive oil to my plan to boost the fats up.

Feeling skeptical about keto so want to make sure I know I’m doing things right!

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

You need to forget about calories right now.

Eat 20 g of carbs, moderate amounts of protein, and fat to keep from being hungry. Become a fat burner, then you can tweak calories or whatever you want. But you need to burn the fuel stored on your body. And keep added sugar and starch out of the picture, so your body can burn the fat and not the sugar/starches for your fuel. You are skeptical because you have been brain washed for decades with the wrong nutritional guidelines. Fat is your friend. Your body will work better when you work with it, not against it.

Read the posts at the top of the newbies forums to better understand what this WOE is about and how it works.
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/newbies

If the calculator says your TDEE is 1300 calories, I’m gonna guess that you’re an older woman. Probably more than any other group, older woman tend to eat hypocaloric and have insufficient protein intake. Which can increase sarcopenia, among other things.

Many of us can be guided by hunger and satiety, but in some people that regulatory pathway is broken. In almost all circumstances (that don’t involve being bedridden), 800 calories is insufficient.

Try to get your additional fat calories from food sources. Choose fatty cuts of meat. Nuts and seeds are calorie dense, for example, 1 oz of macadamias has 200 calories. Avocado is another good source.

(Allie) #4

1300 is NOT a lot of calories… you need to nourish your body to help it heal and start burning the bodyfat that you want to lose.

(Jen ) #5

I’m also new (on Day 3). I have a ton of questions that weren’t answered on the newbie thread.

I am a nurse so I heavily research everything. I also plugged my height, weight, measurements, etc. into a calculator. My results are calories: less than 1500, carbs less than 19 g, protein 78 g, and fats 128 g.

The conflict arises at the calorie counting. Here most people say throw the calories to the wind, stay keto, and count macros.

I’ve jumped in with both feet & keto flu is starting to hit hard (I’m ready though, haha), positive ketone bodies in my urine, and I just don’t want to mess this up. Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!
Jen

No kidding! I’m not a big guy (155lbs) and I eat more than 1300 calories just in fat every day.

You can’t mess it up. You’re in ketosis, so you’re doing it right. :+1:

(Jen ) #8

Thank you for your quick replies!! I appreciate it!

(Madge Boldt) #9

Hi JayBee, I am a newbie myself, started 5 weeks ago. I like to call the “keto flu” carb withdrawal, because that’s what it really is! If you feel bad, have some fat and sodium and you will feel better. Be kind to yourself. Let your body change its fuel without counting calories. I know that dieting habits are hard to break!

Keep reading posts and if you are a podcast person, listen to the 2Keto Dudes. You will learn a lot. We just need to remember that it will take some time before we feel that energy that the long-timers have. I am starting to feel that now, just a bit. But I will say that for the first few weeks, I did get more tired. Some say not to exert yourself physically. I still went to the gym but my energy level wasn’t great. But it is improving now and I am feeling really good.

Hang in there!

(Richard Hanson) #10

My doctor prescribed a ketogenic diet on July 18th.

energy < 1000 kcal/day
net carbs < 20 g/day
protein < 50 g/day

He said I could eat less and he also suggested fasting.

Since then I have averaged 888.6 kcal/day.

I am not offering medical advice, but the macro numbers you are eating are certainly not crazy for someone who is fat adapted. I would focus on keeping net carbs < 20 g/day, eating a moderate amount of protein, and then consuming fats to achieve your energy target. If you are suffering tremendous hunger, I would add more fats to my meals, no snacking, without regard to energy and then reduce caloric consumption after becoming keto adapted. Your body will become very efficient at burning fat for fuel, both the fat you eat and the fat you have stored, and once you are fully adapted it is not at all difficult to eat fewer calories, or no calories at all (fasting), as your body will provision it’s metabolic demands by simply burning stored fat for energy.

Things that are unknown, and contrary to what you have been told for decades, are certainly scary and it is perfectly rational to be “kind of scared” under such circumstances.

Knowledge is power over fear.

Be most assured that you can come to this community at any time for any support and information you might need. Keto has so changed my life that I experience an intense moral imperative to help others use keto to improve their own lives. I so wish that someone, anyone, had told be about keto years ago.

I love adding coconut oil, butter, even bacon fat, to boost my percentage of fat. That is just perfect.

Keto for life!

Warmest Regards,
Richard

I’m pretty new at this, too. It’s great to see a health care professional researching and seeking. Good luck with the keto flu. Mine was kind of weird. I just felt “off” for a day or two then suddenly I was sleeping better and thinking clearer and had a LOT more energy.
Keep up the good work!

-Bob

I would love to meet a Dr that understands anything other than “your numbers don’t match my pharma recommendations… here’s a pill”…

(Jen ) #13

@barefootbob-
The keto flu is real today… lol. I am spilling large ketones in my urine so that makes me smile. Low temp, achy, just feeling blah. I have sodium and potassium supplements so I think I’m a lot better off than if I didn’t have electrolyte replacement. I’m actually completely fascinated with the ketosis process and eventually want to be a Nurse Practitioner and now I’m thinking how many people would benefit from this lifestyle! Reversing T2DM, metabolic syndrome, losing the PILLS. I’m not pre/ or diabetic, but I have several medical diagnoses and I’m hoping to get off some of these meds (especially those known to cause fat retention- my doctor never told me that until a year after I had been on them- for anyone wondering Neurontin (gabapentin) and Elavil (amitriptyline).

Great! Not the keto flu… that sucks, but it’s great that you want to be a nurse practitioner, that is an awesome goal as is getting off the meds. I’m trying to undo some damage myself, not type 2 or anything but I spent years eating “healthy” and exercising only to find out I was doing it all wrong (well, except exercising). I even tried vegan/vegetarian for a couple of years… did not work for my metabolism.
Keep us posted!

Hope you start feeling better. Broth helped me.

I’m really hoping I can get everything in order to be a subtle (by example not by preaching) influence on people in my life that I love and who would benefit from this. My brother and sister-in-law especially. She’s a nurse, too, and an awesome person but has struggled with weight and health issues.

(Jane Reed) #16

Calculators are just a guide. You have to adjust the results to suit your particular circumstances.

(404c804ba4d233c04eaa) #17

Today is my first day…not sure what I am doing yet. Just want to get healthy. Tired of being depressed!!!

(Madge Boldt) #18

@404c804ba4d233c04eaa Hope it is going well for your keto start. If you have any questions, you’ll most likely find the answer in this forum.

(404c804ba4d233c04eaa) #19

I did not do very well…so started over again today. So far I had a bullet proof coffee made with heavy cream ghee and coconut oil. Had two boiled eggs for lunch and a whole large Hass avocado. I not really hungry but feeling Bit sluggish so far…