New to keto, no results

(Rosie) #1

I’m sure this has been asked but I’m really struggling with keeping my ketones up and losing any weight. I’m following pretty strict keto diet and testing blood twice a day, but haven’t lost any weight in the two weeks I’ve been doing this, some days I even go up. Some days ketones are about 1.3 and some 0.5, I can’t figure out why they aren’t consistent and would love some advice! Thanks

(Ron) #2

Read this-

(Rosie) #3

Thanks for that it’s a great read. I’m not just doing keto for weight loss, trying to change my lifestyle habits because I know my body doesn’t do well with carbs of any kind. Mostly concerned since I’ve read that the first two weeks you should lose water weight while your body is getting adjusted. I’m just wondering if this means my body isn’t fully in Ketosis and if there’s anything I can do to adjust it so it’s a better transition.

(Mandy) #4

Thats what happens to some people, sure. 56 days in here and I never lost that 10 pounds of water so described. It’s not a rule, more of a YMMV.

(Candy Lind) #5

Two weeks is really early in! If you really want some advice, you’ll have to give us the whole shootin’ match - age, weight, height, macros you are following (and where you got them) and a couple of days of meals. Do you have health issues such as T2D, metabolic syndrome, known insulin resistance, PCOS, thyroid disease, or something else? Have you read through the Newbie how-tos, to see if it sounds like you started out right? We can’t really give worthwhile advice if we don’t know what you’re doing.

(Rosie) #6

I’ve read through a ton of forums and advice so I’m hoping I’m doing it correctly, but I’m 21, 163lbs, 5 feet tall, and my macros are about 20-25g carbs, 150g fat, 70-80g protein per day. I use the app ketodiet to track my macros. Usually a day starts with coffee and heavy cream, salad with chicken, avocado, cheese, and veggies for lunch, some type of protein with a veggie side and a cream/fatty sauce for dinner, and sometimes a fat bomb for dessert. And I don’t have any other conditions that I know of, typically pretty low blood sugar so none of those concerns, my body just hates carbs! Turns everything I eat into fat. I also add in exogenous ketones some days but that doesn’t seem to do much

(Candy Lind) #7

IMHO you should ditch the exogenous ketones & just eat real food. The goal is for your body to generate the ketones you need for energy. You are more than likely insulin resistant & don’t know it, so it could take some time to set the fat free. I think you’re eating enough if you’re hitting those macros daily (as long as you’re not hungry between meals!). Your body might just be doing some corrections & healing before it starts working on setting the fat free. I would concentrate on getting the macros right, making sure you’re getting plenty of salt & water, & possibly magnesium, and KCKO. Give it time, it’ll work.

EDIT: OH, and take some measurements! You’re going to want them for comparison.

(Sarah Bruhn) #8

Yes drop the exogenous ketones, why would your body break down fat if you are fueling it with exactly what it would be making from that broken down fat? You make ketones, no need to eat them (just like glucose!)
Otherwise remember Keto is not always quick weight loss but it is deeply healing. Be patient, you can trust this process.

If it makes you feel better I’m 3 weeks in and have been bouncing around 3lbs up and down. I know I’m doing it right and I am in ketosis. So not everyone loses a bunch of water weight at the beginning.