New to keto (long post)

(@taliea) #1

Hello. My name is Taliea and I’m 35 and live in Sacramento, CA with my husband and 2 children who are 2 and 8. I’ve been seeing all over my health IG account about people I follow switching over to Keto so I stated researching it. I’ve been listening to the 2 keto Dudes for the last week trying to get as ready as possible and doing all the research. How can you refuse the science. I have a considerable amount of weight to lose and so does my husband. But unlike myself my poor loving husband is only 32 and is on 2 blood pressure medicines, has high cholesterol and is borderline diabetic and I worry so much. Diabetes runs super high in his family so I think he’s been just going with the thought of its inevitable so why try. Well I’m not the kind of person that will just let that happen. He’s is all in and excited to be doing this with me. @Brenda was kind enough to message me back when I had questions and let me know about this forum. I’m excited to do my grocery shopping and we will be starting Monday! Both of our doctors and my old nutritionist have strongly advised against a ketogenic diet and I say screw it! You haven’t done the research and it’s our bodies. So here’s to an amazing change not only for ourselves but our family.

(Jaidann) #2

Welcome! This is so exciting! You do you … and you’ll love the results!

Please make sure you have adequate sodium intake. This one thing can solve a whole host of issues before they even start!

(Keto in Katy) #3

Did they give any specific (and credible) reasons on why you should not do it?

I think I know the answer but I always wonder how the naysayers support their advice.

(Roger Morris) #4

Like @KetoFied said, sodium. Not just sodium though, potassium and magnesium as well. It’s all about the electrolytes to help you not feel as funky in the beginning and maintaining proper balance while on Keto. If I may suggest a couple of other podcasts to help you along your journey. Keto Talk and Liviv’ La Vida Low Carb. These are both by Jimmy Moore and very good, as is 2 Keto Dudes. As for your doctors and nutritionist, they really don’t know. It’s not their fault, initially. I work in the medical field in Cardiovascular medicine and see the misinformation on a daily basis. What little they learned about nutrition in medical school was basically wrong. Even with all the science backing us up, they still can’t bring themselves to believe. Believe in yourselves and push on.

(Kathy L) #5

What are their reasons typically? I haven’t had any pushback from my PCP -likely because I had been into it 3 months before initial appointment ( almost 2 years now) & bloodwork was greatly improved. So am wondering what they use for reasons not to…

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #6

@Tinkykittyt1
SO glad to see you here!

(not everyone listens to my suggestions, lol)

What the others said^^^^
ELECYROLYTES!! It will ease your transition. Especially sodium. Don’t worry about taking too much! With the absence of carbohydrate, your body will be flushing it right out.

The easiest way is to drink two cups of chicken broth a day. One morning, one evening. Even 3 or 4 is ok!!! You know? those little cubes from the store? Use those. They’re easy. Even Steve Phinney relies on them when traveling. If you don’t know who he is? You will :wink:
Purchase the book “The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living” by Phinney and Volek.
They also have a blog. Same name.

In the keto world, their book is considered the keto bible.

(Ashley Haddock) #7

Welcome! I love that you’ve already converted your husband and you’ve done research.

The only tip I will add to what has already been said is once you get started some people get scared about the amount of fat they are eating but it is essential to eat as much fat as you need to be satisfied, especially in the beginning. You will eat a lot in the first few weeks, sometimes months, because your body will be freaking out because it won’t have glucose flooding in. The more you eat fat during the transition the better your body becomes at using it. A great book to help if you do get afraid of the amount of fat you’re eating is The Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teicholz.

(Tom) #8

Welcome! We’re all here for you, so don’t be afraid to ask questions, even if you think they might be silly. There are no silly questions.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #9

See? See? What’d I tell you @Tinkykittyt1.
Lol

(@taliea) #10

This is the answer my nutritionist gave me word for word in an email:
I really cannot recommend the Ketogenic diet for you. Consuming a high-fat diet to sustain ketosis can be detrimental to your long-term health. Many high-fat foods that are low in protein and carbohydrates, such as butter, lard, coconut and egg yolks, are high in saturated fat, which can increase your risk of heart disease. Additionally, high-fat diets may cause injury to brain cells that help control your body weight. Our brains function on glucose, so restricting it can impair mood especially.

(@taliea) #11

Hey hey…word for word from my nutritionIs in an email:
I really cannot recommend the Ketogenic diet for you. Consuming a high-fat diet to sustain ketosis can be detrimental to your long-term health. Many high-fat foods that are low in protein and carbohydrates, such as butter, lard, coconut and egg yolks, are high in saturated fat, which can increase your risk of heart disease. Additionally, high-fat diets may cause injury to brain cells that help control your body weight. Our brains function on glucose, so restricting it can impair mood especially.

Goes against everything that I have researched. So I’m ok going with keto no matter what she said.

(@taliea) #12

Yes yes. Barnes didn’t have it in Stock so I’m just going to download the audiobook which I love listening to books so bam! Lol

(Keto in Katy) #13

Translation for the lay person: “I don’t know what the fuck I am doing.”

At the end of the day, your doctors and nutritionists don’t have anything to gain or lose if they endorse keto. It’s easier (and lazier) to stick with status quo. They will still get paid for the same shitty advice.

You and your husband, though, will benefit or suffer the consequences. So don’t be afraid to test boundaries and hypotheses.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #15

HOLY SHIT SHE’S AN IDIOT

WHERE’D SHE GET THAT? PULL IT OUTTA HER ASS?

SORRY NOT SORRY

(@taliea) #16

Hahaha. Exactly!!! I just laughed and didn’t respond. My doctor said she doesn’t recommend keto but she does recommend a plant based diet. I switched doctors and I have my annual checkup next Friday so I cannot wait to do my blood work and have my numbers then compare them to when I go back next year.

(Kathy L) #17

WOW! In this day & age-that’s absurd!

Welcome aboard. Really great to have you here. @Brenda rocks.

(eat more) #19

certified nutritionist school duh
i think the ppl on this forum have done 99% more research and technical reading independently than the whole “certified nutritionist” curriculum
like the loopty-loo chick i ran into at the feed store that is now a “certified nutritionist specializing in raw food” that could “drop off some samples”…of raw food? lol

(Tom) #20

Feel free to cut and paste this as a response. :smile:

DEFINE. How exactly is my long term health going to be hurt? In what ways, by what mechanisms, and by all means, cite your sources. [quote="]
Many high-fat foods that are low in protein and carbohydrates
[/quote]
When was the last time you had a few eggs or a decent steak? Plenty of fat and protein there. As for carbohydrates, what scientific evidence can you give me that shows exogenous carbohydrates are actually needed to stay alive?

I insist that you send me the peer-reviewed scholarly literature that effectively refutes all of the the observations noted in recent systematic reviews by Harcombe and Ramsden, to name a couple.[quote="]
high-fat diets may cause injury to brain cells that help control your body weight
[/quote]
The onus is on YOU to provide evidence to support this. First, define these cells you refer to, the mechanisms they participate in, and produce some scholarly literature showing exactly how teh eeebil fatz hurtz the brainz. In the meantime, I suggest you spend a whopping 30 seconds on pubmed and look at all of the interesting antiinflammatory and neuroprotective effects that occur when ketones are introduced as a source of acetyl-CoA for the krebs cycle.

It’s well established that the brain can use beta-hydroxybutryate as a metabolic substrate, so you’re either intentionally omitting part of the truth, or you’re enthusiastically ignorant. What’s more, the heart’s preferred fuel is fatty acids and ketones. By your reasoning, we should never, ever, ever, leave ketosis for fear of depriving our heart of its fuel.