New to keto (long post)

(David) #21

Good luck Taliea. Please let us know how you get on.

(Candace) #22

Welcome! Following my doctor’s advice made me sicker. I’ve been Keto for nearly 3 weeks and my blood sugars are normal now. They were high when I started. There are doctors out there promoting this way of eating, and as someone recommended, reading The Big Fat Surprise is an eye opener! I look forward to reading about you and your husband’s success.

(Keto in Katy) #23

Great post @acrunchyfrog! I especially like this part:

We have to question everything and push back when we feel that our providers are just repeating dogma — things they think they know — rather than what the modern research is actually showing. Medicine is not a faith-based enterprise.

(eat more) #24

sadly most of the ppl i know treat it as such…“my doctor says…” without question…i’m of the ask all of the questions faith…but then again i don’t have a doctor LOL

Can it? Facts and studies to back this up?

You will of course eat protein but there are no studie or evidence that prove the body needs carbs.

The whole eating fat increases heat disease is from studies where people were also packing in the carbs.

The brain needs some glucose, but our body is fully able to create glucose from both protien and fat. But, the brain and heart also LOVE LOVE LOVE ketones.

(@taliea) #26

I love this! I will have to use it!

(CiCi) #27

2 great books are Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore and The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung (who works with diabetics) ~ I started 6 years ago with Paleo, then transitioned to keto, now intermittent fasting ! Down 130 lbs with 30 to go ~ keep on keepin’ on !
I wish I had known about keto when I started, probably would have quickened my journey, but, hey… it’s a process !

(@taliea) #28

Thats amazing

(Kathy L) #29

Including my husband sadly…,

(Dustin Cade) #30

:purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

(Dustin Cade) #31

The fun part is finding out all the people that are supposed to be smart and helping us are book smart, but never bother to think outside the box… they are going on antiquated information that keeps them employed…

(Mercy Baron) #32

Yeah, I mainly don’t listen about this woe (way of eating) when it comes to my Dr. or my nutritionist. My A1c has gone from 7.3 to 6.1, basically reversing my Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis last year.

Lost 42 lbs, and feel great. My cholesterol numbers are through the roof and they are not happy about it. Even sent them the info that the Dudes post below each podcast and they say the sources aren’t good. They’re just stubborn and don’t want to believe it’s good. I’m off the evil statins and my blood pressure meds too.

I feel great. I’m 62 and my arthritis doesn’t hurt like it used to. I’m back to my power walking and THAT is awesome. I’ll be boogie boarding again in the next couple of months too!

Screw them, I know my own body better than they do anyway!

Keep calm and Keto on!!

(Tim W) #33

Amen!

I’ve read it and refer to it often. I used it to help guide my “keto athlete” journey. I think the blog is out of date though?

(Kathy L) #34

Do they have any sources to support their recommendations? (Other than Ancel Keyes?)

(Keto in Katy) #35

[quote=“Lueloff, post:34, topic:9218”]
Do they have any sources to support their recommendations?
[/quote]

Exactly! Ask them if they are personally familiar with the research supporting their position. (Hint: it doesn’t exist.)

(Rob) #36

So did you/husband go keto or follow the ADA - either way I’m sure the community would be interested in the progress?

(Darlene Horsley) #37

Welcome! I’m so excited for you both and can’t wait for you to prove your Dr. and ,ahem, nutritionist wrong. :slight_smile: