New to keto, having joint pain

(Pitigoi Flavius) #1

Hello guys; so I’l try to make this as brief as possible, but share some background; I’ve seen Mikhaila Peterson’s story on youtube and how she struggled with her health, and how by practically eliminating anything but meat she got a lot better; then I went to meatheals and saw all those testimonials, and that lead me to wach joe rogan’s podcast with dr shawn baker, and I say to myself, man I’ve got to try this stuf;I’m 30, male, 1,64 m(5,4 feet) tall, 65 kg(143 lbs), before the diet, now I’m 63 kg(138 lbs) and its been just 5 days; the reason why I decided to try this diet out was because I was constantly getting sick, had problems puting on weight, losing weight really fast, was always the shortest boy in my classroom, had joint pain(back, sholders, knees) had low energy levels, slept 10-11 hours a night but poorly, digestive issues, bloating, indigestion, lack of concentration, anxiety, brain fog, and all these things, and I was not happy about it, because I have a gym, and I’m suppose to be the fit dude that tells other people how to become better, right?; to cut to the chase here, I’ve tried all sorts of diets, vegetarian for about 1,2 years, tried low-carb for a while, and even went mostly vegan for a short time; but none of them made me feel any better, so I sayd srew this, diet is not the reason of all my troubles; so recently I went to a vegetarian diet again, after a short time on no wheat and no lactose, but I was just so sick of meat and rice all the time, i gave that up; so after going vegeterian for 2 weeks again, went back to eating wheat(flat bread type, no yeast) and dairy(cheese and yougurt), lentils and beans, eggs,and rice; that was about my diet; I started geting weard sound in my gut and bloating and such, so I gues it must be either the wheat or the lactose; I’ve had a celiac blood test in the past and it came out negative, so I really don’t know what was causing that; but anyways after seeing Mikhaila Peterson’s video on youtube, I thought I’d try the GAPS diet, which is an elimination diet, and the first part of the diet is to eat only meat/fish stock, the meat from the stock, coconut oil, water with lemon and a bit of honey(there was also the juice from fermented sauerkraut, probiotics and soups with boiled meats and vegetables, but I didn’t do that) to give your gut some time to heal up, and then, when your ready, slowly introduce other food into the diet (but still no grains, fast-food and sugar), so thats what I did; so my diet for the past 4 days now has been: 500-700 g(1-1.5 lbs) of meat(mostly pork, some duck, split into 3 meals, with chicken stock at every meal, some boiled carrots, coconut oil, and some lemon water with some raw honey; so first the positives: my digestion improved, no more bloating, pain, no more weird sounds, my fasting blood sugar went down from 99-102 range to 94-95, and even after a meal in only went up to 104; now the negative: the most important is my joints started hurting more and more every day, especialy the knees, wich i’ve had no problems for about a year now, I went from squating 200lbs for reps, with no knee pain, to pain and cracking when I go up and especialy down on stairs; not only my knees, but my wrists and ancles started hurting, (and I never had wrist and ancle pain, ever); now I’m on the 5-th day (cut out the carrots, coconut oil, honey, just meat and stock) and its geting worse and worse guys, I’m starting to have pain in my heal and plantar fasciatis again, wich I\v not have for a few months now, my joints are really mesed up; there is no swelling and no redness, just pain and craking; so I’ve been searching on keto forums and most of the time people get BETTER with joint pain on keto or zerocarb, and I’m so frustrated cuz with me its the exact oposite guys, I don’t know how much longer I can keep this up, I realy realy don’t want to quit here, I would want to give it a few weeks, so my body can adapt, but i dunno, I’m just feling so sad and frustrated right now cuz I had high hopes;
I’ve reached out to dr Shawn Baker via twiter, and he was so kind enough to respond, he sayd that if I’ve never been on ketosis before(wich I have not, but I did a water fast for 3 days before, so I guess I must have entered ketosis) that this could be a transiant joint pain, pariculary if i’m susceptible to gout; so I’me like wtf, I don’t wanna get gout; how do I know if i’m susceptible to gout or not? What do I do if I am?; do I go back to stufing cereals and legumes, and stuff like that and just accept that I will never have the optimal health that I dream off?; cuz that would realy suck big time guys; another explanation that I found, on some keto forums, was that on a low-carb, especialy no carb diet, your body will excrete a lot of water, especialy in the begining and adding more salt, and electrolytes(I can’t seem to find potasium, exept sprot drinks wich are filled with sugar); I do take magnesium in the evening, I’ve done that before this diet anyway, and I’ve aded some calcium carbonate and salt to my water, but still, the pain is geting worse;
could it also be an infection (like borelia)?; because i’ve been bitten by a few tics back some 3-4 years ago, and my immune system got lowered with this diet?
It’s a bit far fetched, I know, but I just want to find another explanation besides freaking gout,cuz that would mean the end of this type of diet(probably the end of my lifting weight also, woth a low protein diet)
Or, hell, guys I don’t know what I’m doing wrong anymore; If any of you experienced this before, I would appreciate some feedback here, cuz I’m really sad that this is not working out like I expected it to;

Thank you guys, and sorry for the lenghy story, and for the bad english, it’s not my native language

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I’m not going to wade through such an enormous paragraph, but if the title of the thread is a good indication of what your problem is, you should probably increase your salt intake, and make sure to stay hydrated. On a high-carbohydrate diet, the body retains water and salt; a ketogenic diet, on the other hand, causes the body to excrete water and salt.

You may also find it advisable to supplement your magnesium and potassium, especially if you are not eating leafy green vegetables (every molecule of chlorophyll contains an atom of magnesium).

(Diane) #3

I think what you’re describing could be a version of “Keto flu” which many people experience when reducing carb intake. I’ve had intermittent joint pain (left shoulder & elbow, both knees), especially with extended fasting. The thing that helps the most is upping my sodium intake. I put 1/8 of a teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt (it naturally has other trace minerals, any sea salt would be similar) on my tongue. I let it dissolve and then take a drink of water, I think this helps it absorb faster. If after a half an hour to an hour I still don’t feel better, I’ll do it again. When you’re eating very low carb, it is hard to overdo the sodium.

There is a ketoaide recipe here that I just started using. It has lite salt (half sodium, half potassium) in it, along with other things. I’m hoping using the ketoaide will help me be more regular with my electrolyte supplementation. Since the lite salt also has potassium, you have to be careful with it, it’s not too hard to overdo the potassium.

Another approach would be to transition to zero carb/carnivore more gradually so it’s not such a shock to your body.

Good luck! Hope you find the information that will help you on your journey.