New to IF. (Day 1). Matcha tea break fast?

(Bill Pratt) #1

This is day 1 of intermittent fasting. Week 6 of Keto. I had black coffee but I was looking for ward to Matcha tea. The nutrition information on the back says 5 calories???
It is culinary matcha. If that makes a difference? Got it at Wegmans. Any help or suggestions? Doing 16/8 fast

I drink matcha every morning because I don’t drink coffee and everything I’ve seen says it’s actually quite good for keto on account it’s a great source of antioxidants without carbs. It’s carb neutral due to the fiber. I have been IF on mon, tue, wed, and doing 16/8 the rest of the week and I drink a mug of it every morning with a splash of heavy cream and about a teaspoon of coconut oil. I figure, bone broth has upwards of 80 calories a cup sometimes and people recommend drinking that on a fast so it should be fine. I drink water, herbal teas, and seltzer until time to eat again. I need a battery for my scale so I can’t track pounds lost, but in the couple weeks I’ve done it I’ve lost an inch off my waist and hips so I don’t think the matcha is hurting.

If its the matcha which is powdered green tea its got a truckload of caffeine in it.

(Bill Pratt) #4

I think I figured it out??? There is a “culinary” matcha and a “cerimonial” matcha ($$$). The cerimonial is 0 cal, 0 carb ect. The culinary seems to have calories? I found some cerimonial at a health store near us. It tastes better too. Twice as expensive though. Probably get better deals on line.

I get the mighty leaf brand for my every day drinking and have a tiny bit of ceremonial grade for when I feel I need something special. I like this brand, it’s moderate in cost and tastes pretty good, as good as what you’d get at Starbucks or something. It does have more caffeine than regular tea but less than coffee when compared serving to serving. Plus it’s rich in l-theanine which moderates the caffeine boost so it’s more of a steady energy instead of BOOM caffeine, then a crash. I used to drink coffee only but it was starting to give me anxiety issues. Backed off to only tea and it helped immensely. But seriously, it shouldn’t have more than 5 calories a serving unless you’re getting a presweetened type. People drink broth during fasts and it has 10 or more calories and as high as 80. I say if it helps you get through, it’s better than not getting through :confused:

(Not a cow) #6

I just saw this as I was wondering how I could make my cup of “black” matcha tea drinkable. Tried a bit of FWC, but the coconut oil idea is brilliant. I love black coffee, but have never been able to drink my tea black due to the bitterness that I just can’t seem to get used to. I’m all in on the coconut oil, thanks @Acnickel.

It makes such a difference, I don’t do it for the extra fat, I just like the taste. Makes it feel sweeter even though it’s not sweetened