New to Brie

cheese

(Susan) #1

Tried it for the first time today, tastes pretty good. Will try not to eat the entire wedge in one day – it cost almost $10.00 ! (think I still like the Parmesan better). Any other cheeses you may recommend ? Trying to branch out from my old standards of cheddar, Swiss, mozzarella and Babybels…

(bulkbiker) #2

If you like strong flavours then try some blues…

(Georgia) #3

Manchego is a sheep’s milk cheese from Spain. It’s firm like Parmesan and quite tasty.

(Susan) #4

Can it be found at any “regular” grocery?

(Dustin Bowen) #5

I don’t know where you are located but we have a regional grocer (Hy-Vee) which carries a huge line of specialty cheeses and charcuterie. I realize not everyone has this available but most of the “larger” regional chains are catering to customers looking for more specialty items now. Kroger is another large chain that has a good selection of specialty grocery items as well that are reasonably priced.

(Georgia) #6

I found Manchego at our regional Kroger’s (King Soopers in Colorado). If you have Trader Joe’s, you can get it there, too.

(Susan) #7

Don’t have TJ yet, but there are rumors going around we might soon. Already have a Fresh Market & Earth Fare, never go to either one very often may have to check them out again.

(mich) #8

Haloumi - pan fried in butter. If you haven’t tried this, you haven’t lived.

(Todd Allen) #9

ALDI carries a decent brie at $3 for an 8 oz wheel. Costco has a French double creme brie I like a little more at a little higher price.

Many prefer brie served at room temperature which makes it softer and brings out the flavor. The closer it is to its expiration the softer and more flavorful too, though some dislike it fully “ripe”. I’ve been trying to find ways to increase my salt intake and enjoy brie in dipped in coarse salt. Brie is considered one of the better sources of vitamin K2, a lesser known vitamin and one that many if not most people don’t get enough of and it isn’t included in most multi-vitamin supplements. Some speculate that vitamin K2 is part of the explanation of the French paradox in which they eat a fattier diet and have less atherosclerosis. However, it might just be they consume less sugar.

(betsy.rome) #10

Ah, brie. One of the more luscious treats I miss on keto is that party appetizer they make by baking a small wheel of Brie topped with figs, cranberries or raspberry jam & nuts. The warmed Brie is all melty and contrasts its taste with the fruit. Wonder if there is a keto-friendly version of that?

Also, if you find you like Brie and want to try something more adventurous, look for an imported Camembert. I am told by a friend who regularly visits Brittany in France, that the local Camembert there is so pungent that you have to open the window when you are eating it. Ooh la la!

(Mike W.) #11

We just picked up a Brie “layer cake” it’s alternating layers of Brie and blue :drooling_face:

(Jim Russell) #12

That sounds awesome. I have never seen it, so I will have to see if I can make a version of that myself. After I get done with my current fast. :slight_smile:

(Susan) #13

I’m going to ALDI tomorrow to get more Clancy’s pork rinds – have tried a few brands and that’s my favorite. Thanks for the suggestion, wouldn’t have thought to look there for the cheese.

(Chantay) #14

Gouda! You can get it in Babybels or bricks, so yummy! If you have a fancier place, gourmandise is also delicious - tastes faintly of cherries. :smile:

(Mike W.) #15

We buy them by the case! Can’t beat $1.

(Sophie) #16

Port Salut is to die for…just sayin. :cheese:

And be sure to let your cheese come to room temp so the flavors can develop. Makes them tastier.

(James storie) #17

I will have to try this again, I’ve had the brie from Aldi, but wasn’t impressed. It was cold though, and I’ve never had it before and didn’t know what to expect. Do you normally eat the rind? I would assume so, but I don’t know!

(Jeremy Storie) #18

You can eat the rind but most don’t.

(James storie) #19

Ok, I may sound like a hillbilly, but what do you do? Cut the top off and dig in? :laughing:

(Duncan Kerridge) #20

Eat the rind, it’s where most of the flavours migrate to - as advised by our landlady who happens to be a cheesemaker, she makes a lovely brie type cheese from sheeps milk.