New to Brie

cheese

(James storie) #21

It sounds like I’m going to have to experiment!

(Susan) #22

I like the rinds (Parmesan esp). Last night I warmed up the Brie with my soft boiled eggs in the microwave for about 15 seconds…results were gooey melty wonderful goodness. Will try room temperature today.

(James storie) #23

Sounds good!

(Sophie) #24

You definitely eat the rind of Brie!!! :thumbsup:

(Jeremy Storie) #25

The last time I had it I just cut a wedge and then trimmed the rind off. Before my keto days I had a some that was wrapped in pastry dough and fried. I’m pretty sure that had the rind. Other than that I’ve always trimmed it.

(Sophie) #26

If you ever have a doubt about which rind to eat Look That Shit Up! Most washed rinds are meant to consumed and are a very lovely part of the overall cheese experience. And back again to the room temp thing. Can’t stress that enough. I keep an assorted cheese tray here for dinner and I take it out of the fridge 1hr before dinner time.

(Todd Allen) #27

I always eat the rind, it’s mild and a pleasant chewy texture. I just slice off a wedge and pick it up with my fingers and the rind protects my fingers from the gooey cheese inside. It’s one of the things I like about brie, super easy to eat with no waste unlike some cheeses with hard waxy coatings that I have to trim.

(roxanna) #28

I always eat the rind and have always loved brie warmed in the microwave.

(Jeremy Storie) #29

It seems I’ve been outvoted. Looks like I’ll be trying the rind next time :grin:

(Susan) #30

one more question about Brie – is it supposed to smell bad? The first time I had a piece didn’t notice a strong odor, but I don’t have the greatest sense of smell due to chronic nasal congestion. Tonight opened the bag to put out a piece to warm up and it smelled sort of funky to me. It looks the same as the other day so don’t think it spoiled…

(Todd Allen) #31

French brie is a live active culture and as it ages can develop some ammonia odor as the culture consumes some of the milk proteins. The odor is concentrated when wrapped up and refrigerated. Set it out unwrapped to warm to room temperature and the odor should fade as the ammonia evaporates away. If you still find it too strong after warming, you might gently heat it in the microwave or melt it on top of eggs or a burger which should further cut the odor. Topping a baked dish would mellow it more.