New Sous Vide

(Shayne) #1

Just got my Prime Day Sous Vide in the mail the other day.

I’m going to make chicken thighs in it this weekend to use for lunches next week. Since it’s for chicken salad, I’m going to take off the skins and bake them separately!

(Mike W.) #2

I personally sous vide with the skin on and then bake them. Salty, crispy, and delicious.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #3

Whar sous vide device do you both have.

(Mike W.) #4

I have the Anova.

(Ashley) #5

I have a joule, which I love. Like the app, my only downside is I hope the app continues to update.

(Shayne) #6

I think under normal circumstances, I would leave the skin on, but since I’m using it for chicken salad, I’m going to cook the skin separately.

(Shayne) #7

I got the Gourmia because Amazon had a $35 off coupon on Prime Day. (ETA - Turns out the coupon is still good).
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076JKGTZF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am not keen on cooking anything in plastic, so no SV for me. Can you get glass ones? Can you put the meat in anything other than plastic?

(Ashley) #9

There’s reusable silicone ones. https://www.amazon.com/SIOchef-Premium-Silicone-Sous-Vide/dp/B07BGJZ2WC?crid=299D8B6N3TBPP&keywords=reusable+sous+vide+bags&qid=1532153835&sprefix=reusable+sous&sr=8-4&ref=mp_s_a_1_4

(Mike W.) #10

These are some chicken thighs I brined in pickle juice. Straight into the sous vide.

(Steve) #11

What Mike did there with the jar is about the only way that you can use glass for cooking meat in a sous vide in a jar - it needs to be surrounded by liquid to effectively cook at these lower temperatures.

(I still think the best thing to do with jars in a sous vide is creme brûlée - but I may be a bit biased) :wink:

It’s because water, being more dense, is a much more efficient way of transferring heat, rather than air. By having all surfaces of the meat exposed to an even temperature in a vacuum sealed bag, you attain very even cooking.

I understand peoples aversions to cooking in plastic (I was too before I first started cooking sous vide) - did a LOT of reading and corresponding before pulling the trigger - to make sure that it was safe.
It’s actually not new technology…just new-ish to the retail market - the French have been doing this in their restaurants for decades.

(Shayne) #12

I have silicone bags that I thought I would try first and see how it goes. I also have a vacuum sealer in case the silicone doesn’t work.

(Rob) #13

I’m curious to hear how the silicone bags work out for you. I use vacuum seal bags after doing some reading and convincing myself it was safe. I might prefer something re-usable … assuming they were easy to use and relatively easy to clean.

(Shayne) #14

I know they’re not hard to clean. I’ve done it both by hand and in the dishwasher.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #15

Filing the jar with an appropriate fat would work and be less flavor extractive. Cooking Sous Vide in a lot of liquid has never produced anything but a flavorful liquid.

(Mike W.) #16

I’d be keen to share my pot de creme recipe if you’ll share your creme brûlée (my favorite dessert)

(Shayne) #17

First we have pictures of the Sous Vide using silicone bags. My only issue is that my largest bag was too big for the bath so I had to break it down to two different bags. Each bag holds two chicken thighs. The only reason it was too big is because of the rigidity of the closure.

I was so intent on getting those thighs into the sous vide bath that I kept forgetting about my poor coffee

And in case you have kids, mine is not enamored of the silicone bags. She says they’re too hard to work. In fact, she skipped eating bacon all week because I put the cooked bacon in a silicone bag. I moved it to a regular ziploc type bag this morning.

(Steve) #18

Certainly!! :). I use the recipe from:

(Sophie) #19

Off Topic, but I adore your back splash, it’s gorgeous!

(Shayne) #20

oh, Thanks! It’s a stick on from Lowe’s. Super easy to apply and relatively cheap compared to actual tile.