New Sous Vide

(Sophie) #21

Ok, wait, I’m confused. Were you going for something like Chik-fil-A? I get the pickle juice brine, but did you vac seal the thighs after the brine, or SV in the jar? And how do you finish off once it’s cooked? Enquiring minds wanna know! :smile:

(Sophie) #22

Wow! Really? How is the stickiness? Does it stay put with moisture, heat and whatnot, especially in a kitchen of all places? Amazing.

(Shayne) #23

It’s been up several years with no issues. It’s so much easier to clean grease splatter off of than the painted wall.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Peel-Stick-Mosaics-Peel-and-Stick-4-Pack-Rockbridge-Linear-Mosaic-Composite-Wall-Tile-Common-10-in-x-10-in-Actual-10-in-x-9-7-in/1000204503

(Mike W.) #24

We actually do them a lot. These I actually cooked in the jar. I usually put them in a ziploc with the pickle juice and then seal. Sometimes immediately sous videing or sometimes letting them sit in the fridge for a few hours. We finish them by either smoking them, just grilling them (basically just crisping up the skin) or my favorite, putting them in a baking dish, slathering them in mayo, covering with crushed pork rinds and sticking under the broiler until slightly browned :heart_eyes:

(Sybella) #25

I need these in my life
:heart_eyes:

(Shayne) #26

Turned a chuck roast into heaven.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #27

How did you sear it? Time and Temp please?

(Shayne) #28

Salted and rest while prepping the bag. Hot oil, garlic, onion, and herbs from the garden. Brown all sides. Set the meat on a plate to cool for a minute. Deglaze pan with red cooking wine. Meat and sauce into the bag, seal and into the 133F bath for 24 hours.

Put meat on a platter, juice in a pan and reduce. Add a little unflavored gelatin and stir well to thicken it as it cools. Slice meat, add some juice/sauce and it melts in your mouth!

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #29

I don’t trust plastic even though lots of reputable sources say it’s ok. Im worried enough about eating from plastic containers, let alone cooking in it. I’ve started using my sous vide a bit more, because though I was intimidated by how difficult it seemed, experience has shown me how simply it is to cook sous vide. So I bought me some reusable silicon bags.

Looking forward to trying them, and I’m hoping the water displacement method works as well with them as it does with plastic. I haven’t found there’s much need to get a vacuum sealer; the water displacement method works a charm.