New research could banish guilty feeling for consuming whole dairy products

(Aimee Moisa) #21

Sorry, what’s lactase?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

It’s the enzyme that digests lactose and galactose. Most mammals lose the ability to produce lactase in adulthood (we’d starve to death if we didn’t have it in childhood!), and human beings are no exception. Except that there are two populations in which a mutation appeared to allow adults to continue to eat dairy in adulthood: northern Europeans, who couldn’t have survived that far north otherwise; and the Masai tribe in Africa, who also drink a lot of milk.

(Brian) #23

“Sweet dreams are made of cheese. Who am I do dis a brie?”

I saw a poster of that not long ago but don’t know how to post it here. :slight_smile:

(Aimee Moisa) #24

Oh yeah, I had heard about that mutation a few years ago.

Well, I am definitely one of the ones with the mutation. Milk and I are like cookies and… milk? :slight_smile:

I love milk, milk loves me, the fattier the better, and happy we shall be!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

"What a friend we have in cheeses,
Gouda, Brie, and Camembert, . . . "

(karen) #26

I just tried Wegmans roll butter - much easier to get in PA. Much to my mother’s dismay I bought an 16 oz package and ate it in 10 days (I was being conservative.) It was actually very tempting to buy the 5? pound log, it was delicious!

(karen) #27

Typically, the higher the fat content in liquid milk products, the lower the carbs. Maybe try to drink a glass of half and half instead? (or even HWC diluted with water, more like milk but not as carby.) :stuck_out_tongue:

(karen) #28

Possibly the best thing about being mayonnaise-colored: unlimited lactose tolerance!!!

(Aimee Moisa) #29

Oh jeez, I’ve tried it and it is awful! LOL

(karen) #30

Then I think your option is to “suck it up”. :stuck_out_tongue:

(As in, “suck up a glass of milk”, and also “suck up the fact that that’s 12 grams of carb”. If you do this on an all-meat day, or even a really restricted carb day, you shouldn’t disturb your ketosis.)

(Aimee Moisa) #31

I am gonna stick a straw in it and SUCK. IT. UP! LOL

Actually, my preferred method of drinking milk glugging it straight out of the jug.

Some people fit beer and wine into their macros, I’m gonna fit milk into mine! MOOOOO!

(karen) #32

Mooooo!! I would suggest not chugging it out of the carton just because it’s way too easy to think you’ve drunk a cup when you’ve actually just consumed a pint and a half. Make it special! Drink it out of a wine glass! A brandy snifter! Your Grandma’s best china! Cheers!!!

(cheryl) #33

Excellent reminder.

The fear I have with dairy isn’t about its nutritional profile. Its about the factorization of the production processes used to make it. I haven’t developed the contacts for sourcing unpasteurized products directly from the farmer.

(Aimee Moisa) #35

Have you tried a local farmer’s market? That’s where we get our raw milk. DROOL

Yes. Unfortunately without success. But I appreciate the suggestion.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

Guilt? For eating full-fat dairy?

Now, guilt for being the inventor of skim milk—that I could understand! :bacon:

In realty you’d be fine if you kept it to one, counted it and moved along. As it’s been said lactose isn’t like sucrose. If you have Kroger’s in your area they have a milk called CarbMaster which has I wanna say 4g (been a while) and doesn’t taste any different. Some people water down some HC or Half n Half to fake milk. When I make my “chocolate milk” I’d mostly Almond Milk with a couple TBSP heavy cream, with the chocolate in there you can’t tell it from normal chocolate milk. Obviously you’d taste it without it, but it’s something.

(Todd Gamel) #39

As others have already mentioned, knowing your carb limit, and how your body responds to carbohydrates helps with meal planning. Because i am a type 2 diabetic, I have a goal to keep my carbs under 20, so if I drink an 8oz glass of milk containing 12 grams of carbs then that’s 60% of my carbs for the day. My wife on the other hand (non-diabetic) tries to keep her carbs less than 50 grams per day, so the same glass of milk would only represent 24% of her daily carbohydrate intake.

Personally, I think you can eat whatever you want as long as you keep your carb count under your specific goal. Whether the carbs come from milk (lactose) or another source does not matter, as long as you keep it under the number of carbs you have allotted yourself for the day, then go for it. :smile:

(Leigh Thomas) #40

When trying to lose weight I find dairy a big no. Dairy does cause inflammation (eliminating inflammation with keto is one of the objectives) and my overall physical feeling is a lot better off without it. Even though I do miss it I’ve found my recovery after exercise has improved dramatically without any dairy. Also a lot of dairy these days has A1 protein which the body cannot digest. I hope at some point I can bring some dairy back into my diet. If you’re struggling with keto it’s worth considering trying a dairy fast for 2-3 weeks and see if it has any results.