New Ketonix meter

(Patti) #21

Brenda can you tell me what your setting are set at. I have the USB meter, green is 40, Yellow 55, red is 70… I’ve never blown above blue. Which I think is KV 4.0, I’m between 1.2 to 2.3.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #22

I have the second generation meter.
Blue is lowest
Green next.
Yellow is adequate ketones
Red is highest amount of acetone detected.
Each setting has 10 possible results.
I do not have mine hooked up to my laptop atm, but I normally blow 4 yellow when my blood ketones are around 1.5. Definately in a good nutritional ketosis range.

(Patti) #23

The issue with these different methods is that they measure ketosis with different units, and it can be confusing trying to correlate them. While blood tests and the urine test strips give you a measure in PPM (part per million), Ketonix gives you a result in terms of Ketonix Value, that is described in the user guide as follows:

The KETONIX Value is a sensor relative value and is a percentage. Our template Nutritional Ketosis range is 40 to 70. This is approximately 0.5 - 3.9 ppm of Breath Acetone.
While the Ketonix Value is a perfectly good (relative) way to know if you are in ketosis, and to get a sense for the intensity level of the ketosis, it is hard to translate it and compare the values to the literature that usually describes measures in terms of PPM.

Here is a conversion graph I found on this page: http://www.engineeringmyself.com/2016/10/ketonix-values-in-ppm-handy-conversion.html

If I apply this right my 1.7ppm should be in the green range, but my meter is blue so I guess I need to change the settings.

If anyone has he USB meter on the computer can you share the USB settings #s.

(mike) #24

On my settings USB is set as follows
Green = 4.0-30.0
Yellow = 30.1-80.0
Red=80.1or>

(Jason) #25

If you were carb free for 6 weeks, you would definitely be in ketosis. Assuming by carb free you mean under 20g of carbs per day. Are you tracking the carbs you eat every day?

(Patti) #26

Yes i’ve been under 20g, I’m documenting it daily now. Ketonix support has requested me to send the meter in to have it checked out.

This is Ketonix reply to setting up your USB meter.

In the latest version of the software the settings for the USB defaults to:

Blue: 0-4 PPM
Green: 4-30 PPM (nutritional range)
Yellow: 30-80 PPM (high ketosis, probably the range for those who wants to loose weight and do intermittent fasting)
Red: 80 and above (very high ketosis)

(Andrew Anderson) #27

Just got it! Now I wait 12hrs to play.

I have been doing Keto for 6 weeks now. I bought a Ketonix. I am blowing green 3.7 to 5.1. Does this mean I am not going to lose any weight? The manual says that I am in nutritional ketosis but I should be registering yellow to lose any weight. I’m a little confused.

I’ve calibrated and have consistently blown these numbers for about a week now.

(Patti) #29

It is very frustrating, I’m trying to get some answers from Ketonix as well. My meter just reads blue all the time 1.7 to 2.1 ppm
Stay positive! I know I’m in ketosis based on my meal intake. Just wish the meter would confirm it. A lot of money spent to be guessing.

(Andrew Anderson) #30

I am apparently bad at breathing too. I guess it takes practice. My macros are consistent, still shedding weight, and turn the pee sticks purple. I am just unskilled at blowing at a glow in the dark stick.

Is your mouthpiece on correctly? There are 3 little divots on the opposite end of the piece that you breathe into. I guessing that you need to line them up with the little notch on the unit. It looks like it’s so that there’s a whole for your breath has somewhere to go.

I haven’t found any info in the manual or anywhere about this thing but have a look and you’ll know what i mean.

Also blow lightly, get all the air deep inside you out, don’t breathe in beforehand. Maybe there is something in your diet too that is keeping your numbers low. Try not eating anything processed for a few days and see if this changes anything.

Edit: I just tried the mouthpiece in various positions and it does show variation (25-30 proper to 17-20 incorrect).

(Sam Marcos) #32

You could eat under 20g of carbs and still not be in ketosis. The reason is that too much protein will cause some of the protein to be metabolized into glucose. That is what is called glucogenesis. And then the resulting glucose in your body will kick you out of ketosis. That’s why keto calls for “moderate” protein.

(Lauren Casapulla) #33

Disagree, respectfully, unless this refers to a T1 diabetic…

(Sam Marcos) #34

So then why is keto “moderate” protein?

I would look at insulin spiking rather than gluconeogenisis. If your body takes in more protein than you need, you get an increase in insulin and decrease in ketones (albeit rat study ). Additionally you should take the protein with fat to mellow the spike.

(Lauren Casapulla) #36

I believe that Tyler answers that in his post.

I’m finding it handier to think of my protein intake as “adequate” rather than “moderate,” too. And “healthful fat level and healthful types of fats” rather than “high fat” so as not to terrorize my mother. lol

(Lauren Casapulla) #37

This post is an easy read and was posted in the comments under the Ketogains post.

(Louise ) #38

@Brenda and I were at the Michel Lundell presentation at the LowCarbBreck conference. In his presentation, he said that acetone is a real time indicator of ketogenesis, whereas BHB (blood ketones) is the sum of what is not being used. This is why he believes that breath acetone is a better indicator of ketosis.

Second point: he said that with the breath acetone then, a zero or low reading means you’re out of ketosis.

Third point: there was no real correlation between the various ketone (blood, breath and pee) readings

Attached is a picture from his presentation which shows the various states.

(Patti) #39

Can you type in the results of this photo can’t zoom into read. Thanks

(Louise ) #40

1-2 ppm is basal
2-50’ish is ketogenic diet for adults
2-500’ish is ketonic diet for children with epilepsy
2-200’ish is fasting
100-1000+ is diabetic ketoacidosis