New Ketonix meter

(Patti) #1

I just got my new meter and I’m trying to figure out how it works. When I do my first few test the PPM barline doesn’t change colors it stays Blue my readings are 1.2 and 2.2 am I doing something wrong cuz all the examples in the manual show that it turns red and yellow and green so I’m not sure I’ve got it set right and there doesn’t seem to be any live chat on there help page any help would be appreciated I would like to know if I’m in ketonis or not. Thanks Patti

(Beth) #2

Hi Patti,

I got a ketonix a few weeks ago. I think the first thing you are supposed to do is calibrate it on your computer. I had to install some software from their website. I’m assuming you did that you have readings of 1.2 and 2.2. When I got mine I thought I was in ketosis but I had just gotten back from a vacation where I had been eating a lot of meat. I went on a 3 day fast and then mine did start flashing green, if it doesn’t really register anything it stays steady blue.

I think there are some parameters that can be set for the device that are discussed in the manual. I have mine set so it flashes green in the range from 4.0 to 30.0.

I do think it’s a little difficult to understand and I’ve never gotten a reading above 10. I’d love to hear what other people say about their device too.

(Patti) #3

After get my measurement, I did change the range for dieters. But still no change in meter and 1.4 was the reading. So what does this mean?

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​

(Patti) #4

Oh I did calibrate it b4 using.

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​

First off - have you downloaded the manual? They have the new one on the site now.

Calibrate. Pretty sure you have to do this before you can even use it - i.e. it wont work until you have - but you need to do it if not.

Get the breath reading right. This takes some practice and there is a how to video on the website I believe. Basically, you are looking for the last bit of air in your lungs. Do not take a big breath before blowing; you should be starting at the end of a natural exhale. Choose the right size hole that works for you - you can adjust the plastic cap to one of three holes - I use the middle one. When you are starting out, try using the ‘best of three’ approach - simply do the breathing into the ketonix three times and it will take your highest reading.

All this info is in the manual with clear step by steps so check it out.

(Tom Seest) #6

Excellent advice. I now read your posts in your voice…:grinning:

I’ve really got to grips with mine now. It really is a great piece of kit to have.

(Patti) #8

I’m still staying in the blue, both on the computer and on battery. I’ve watch the youtube videos so I’ll try again after dinner based on what I understand I’m not in ketosis. :frowning: I’ve been losing weight and doing the 16/8 fasting. Could this be affecting the reading.? I appreciate all the help you can give me. I feel really good about the keto diet and the Carl and Richards podcast. My husband s playing around with the diet now so I’m looking forward to figuring out this meter.

You have calibrated it right?

The other test is to take quite a few readings within a 15 minute period. They should all be pretty well the same. That shows whether you are getting consistency with how you measure.

Failing all that, contact the support team. I have always found them very helpful.

(Patti) #10

I’ve sent the support team an email, but based on their self test the meter seems to be working fine. That leaves me in not in ketonis, So now what do I do. Here’s what I’ve been doing. I’ve been on keto diet 6 weeks and lost 16lb. I start my day with a 20 oz bulletproof coffee. That takes me to dinner or a snack about 3pm. I’m not counting carb but only get then though vegetables. After dinner snack 2 bacon and cream cheese. Oh I’ve lost several inch around the middle too. But on the humorous side last night I had a dream about eating a maple bar I actually had it in my mouth and I looked around and felt guilty and took it out when I woke up this morning I checked the pillow to make sure it really didn’t happen WOW this is crazy.:rolling_eyes: I’m feeling great but I’m thinking if I were in ketonis I’d be losing more. Thanks again for your help!

All I can suggest is that you measure and track on a few typical days to see how many carbs you are actually getting but I would be amazed if you are that high from what you eat. It is true that you can rack up a decent number in things like bacon and cream cheese so that is worth looking at. I would be tempted to count everything and check all labels for a few typical days simply to rule that out as a factor.

Er… that is a fabulous weight loss. There is no set speed or amount and plenty would be eating to kill you for that much in that time! It sounds to me like you are doing everything right so see how they respond and maybe check things your end by tracking at the same time. Then report back please as I am curious as to what is going on. Keep up the good work though because it sounds like you are doing great. xxx

(Adam Kirby) #12

Just for my own lack of knowledge, how would it be possible to be carb-free for 6 weeks and not be in ketosis? Your body long ago ran out of sugar fuel, unless you felt like complete crap wouldn’t you have to be in ketosis?

(Patti) #13

I’m going to do as Daisy suggests, I to feel I should be, But my meter tells me not. Its a little frustrating to spend $200 and be told your not in the keto zone! :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll keep testing and experimenting.

(Adam Kirby) #14

Doesn’t the meter only measure what ketones are being expelled through your breath, aka the excess? It seems to me this would have the same shortcomings as the pee strips… ketones you expel are not indicative of the ketones being put to use by your body.

I don’t know that I would call it excess acetone, but the NCBI article below calls acetone a by-product of fat metabolism.

The Ketonix article is a little more specific that acetone is produced from the breakdown of acetoacetate and I suspect that the poster is more readily converting into beta-hydroxybutyrate which isn’t measured by the Ketonix.

I have an older Ketonix and I can say that I’ve barely registered being in ketosis with it while my blood ketones were in the 1.0 - 2.0 mmol range, so I don’t think measuring for ketone byproducts in the breath correlates with blood ketones across the population as a whole considering anecdotal reports such as mine, so I wouldn’t be too discouraged with a negative result.

I’m sure measuring for ketone byproducts in the breath works for many people, but I’m not one of them and I have to wonder if the poster is one of them too considering the substantial weight loss which according to the NCBI, suggests that fat loss is occurring.

In other words, I think some people’s bodies favor the generation of acetoacetate when being in ketosis which is something the Ketonix can indirectly measure through the acetone byproduct, but others favor the generation of beta-hydroxybutyrate which can’t be measured by the Ketonix.

Endogenous acetone production is a by‐product of the fat metabolism process. Because of its small size, acetone appears in exhaled breath. Historically, endogenous acetone has been measured in exhaled breath to monitor ketosis in healthy and diabetic subjects. Recently, breath acetone concentration (BrAce) has been shown to correlate with the rate of fat loss in healthy individuals. In this review, the measurement of breath acetone in healthy subjects is evaluated for its utility in predicting fat loss and its sensitivity to changes in physiologic parameters.

When biologic factors are controlled, BrAce measurement provides a non‐invasive tool for monitoring the rate of fat loss in healthy subjects.

(mike) #16

I have both the newer ketonix and the precision extra blood ketone meter and have taken many readings at the same time. When the blood ketone meter shows I’m in ketosis, the ketonix does not always. It seems that the longer I’m in ketosis the higher the ketonix will go. I hook it up to the computer when I’m testing so I can actually see the number. I have been successfulat getting into the green several times, but have had to be in ketosis (measured by blood ketone meter) for awhile. I believe I read on the ketonix site that the creator said it is more a measure of the strength of your ketosis.

Having listened to Dr Adam Nally on keto talk many times I have actually heard him say depending on the individual it can take months to get into ketosis, specially if you are extremely insulin resistant.

Good luck and keep trying.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #17

I own the second generation Ketonix and am at optimal levels everytime I test. It corresponds with my blood ketone meter, which is wonderful as the blood ketone test strips are very expensive so I will only test once per day. With the Ketonix I can test as many times as I want.

(Andrew Anderson) #18

You guys talked me into it. Ordered one today. Can’t wait to start tracking. :heart_eyes_cat:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #19

I had the inventor of the Ketonix sign mine last week at the Low Carb Breckenridge Conference in Colorado. Michel Lundell. Psyche.

(Tom) #20

Jealous! I don’t have one yet, but once I’m not a poor med student I’ll be looking to get one.