New here

(Richard Shawn Bennett) #1

I justed wanted to introduce myself my name is Rich and I am 51 and I have finally come to grips with the fact I have a addiction to carbs and I am so happy i found this group. On my 3rd day and this morning I woke to a horrible headache or I should say it woke me up. Better now. I have never done keto before so not sure if it was protein reduction.

(David) #2

hi, I’m on day 3 myself. I noticed I had a bit of a headache yesterday, but I think that it was because I was seeing how long I could go before wanting breakfast. I drank some more water, and had a rasher of salty streaky bacon with some cream cheese on it, and I was fine afterwards.

I’m learning to listen to my body, and using the numbers to guide me it’s interesting seeing what I’ve kinda been ignoring before and just eating out of habit, routine, and just because something sugary or carby was there.

(Richard Shawn Bennett) #3

I knew there would a be a transition phase besides headache today doing pretty good

For me, headaches are almost always from not having enough sodium, so I drink salted-water or salted-water with apple cider vinegar regularly and get those headaches when I’m too busy for the extra salt.

Others recommend bouillon or bone broth, but the MSG in most bouillon gives me headaches, although I do make my own bone broth on occasion and really enjoy it when I do.

The transition from glucose burning to fat burning shows up as massive headaches and low levels of energy, within the first week of transition…in my experience.

I guess we are not hybrid cars, that can switch energy source in seconds :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Zach) #6

Sounds like carb withdrawal to me. You can try to supplement sodium, potassium and magnesium. I like to use lite-salt on avocado to boost potassium.

(David K) #7

Headaches during the beginning are usually an electrolyte imbalance, go get some.

(Richard Shawn Bennett) #8

Thanks for all the replies, never been happy having a headache before I know its kicking in lol

It’s most likely a sodium/hydration issue. Try drinking a couple cups of salty broth or bouillon per day. Make sure you’re drinking plenty of water.

Staying well hydrated is so important, especially when you start Keto. My daily go to drink for continual hydration is S.Pellegrino mineral water with a small splash of apple cider vinegar (w/ the mother) along with a pinch of Epsom and pink Himalayan salt. Personally, I enjoy adding a little flavoring as well, usually a couple drops of liquid stevia (Lemon or Orange) to taste.

Lots of minerals loaded in there between the ACV and salts.

Apple cider vinegar - pectin; vitamins B1, B2, and B6; biotin; folic acid; niacin; pantothenic acid; and vitamin C. It also contains small amounts of the minerals sodium, phosphorous, potassium, calcium, iron, and magnesium.

(Richard Shawn Bennett) #11

Thank you I didnt realize ACV had all that in it.

Welcome. I have moved you to Newbies.

(Michelle) #13

Welcome!! I’m on Day 10. So far loving it, and looking for my body to run optimally on fat!! Trying to convince all my friends how good this is.

(Jessica K) #14

Day 3 for me was the worst of all of my “keto flu” days. Hydrate and have some salt! I don’t know how much it helped but by day 5 I was feeling great :slight_smile:

This is really good advice! Upping sodium takes care of most keto flu symptoms!

(Richard Shawn Bennett) #16

Feeling much better thanks for all the advice

(Mike W.) #17

Do you just keeping upping it til it goes away? How often? How do you know if you’ve had “too much”?

@MiKetoAF Try adding 2 cups of salty broth or boullion per day. That’s the standard recommendation and works for most people. If you’re doing heavy exercise especially in hot weather, you’ll need more.

(Mike W.) #19

Like at breakfast and lunch? Can I use bouillon cubes? That’s what I have. Should I add extra salt to it? How much sodium per serving am I looking for? Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate the help.

@MiKetoAF I think spreading them out during the day is a good idea. I use bouillon and think it works fine. Just make sure you aren’t getting a low sodium version!