New here

(Ted) #21

Okay, so maybe not so brief of an intro but what the heck here’s a bit about me and my dietary history. My name is Ted, 63yrs old, no serious medical issues other than a tendency to put on fat but, enough to be a health concern and make life less enjoyable. and seriously doing LCHF/Keto since May 31, 2012. Did a stint of Atkins back around 2001 but had limited success. After that my weight soared to 255lb (I’m 5-8) and in early 2012 heard Steve Gibson on Security Now do a non-tech episode called “The Sugar Hill” After hearing that I realized that I had missed some essential points with Atkins, most notably less protein, more fat, and just avoid anything sweet or starchy, period. So, on May 31, 2012 I went as carb free as possible and stayed that way. By the summer of the following year I was 70+ pounds lighter and feeling fantastic. So, feeling so fantastic I thought I might treat myself to craft beer, yep, I know the end of Ketosis. I enjoyed craft brews moderately for about 2 years (1 or 2 per week at most) but, of course, craft beer soon becomes an obsession, especially with apps like UnTappd. So by November of 2016 my weight was back up to 193lb and I know I needed to get back on the Ketosis wagon but was procrastinating. Then I heard of the 2Keto Dudes from Paul Thurrott on Windows Weekly over the winter holidays and decided it was time. I gave myself “persmission” to enjoy every carb I wanted from Christmas until New Years, for no other reason than I wanted to see if they still had the same allure. Soft ice cream, Pot de Creme from my favorite restaurant, pizza from my favor place, a Philly cheese steak with the bread from Dalessandro’s (a Philly landmark and icon), etc. I can honestly say as good as these things are I have no desire other than nostalgia to have them again. So on January 3, I weigh in at 202.6 lbs and have been on keto since. As of today, 2 weeks later I am at 190.6 had ketone level of 2.5 mg/dL yesterday. I’ve been working my way through the historical 2ketodudes podcasts while listing to some more current episodes as well Thanks to that I learned of cream chess on bacon! Oh my! Keto candy! I could not be happier to be back living the keto life and feeling great.