New Here, Starting Keto next week

(Robert Smith) #42

I do have Pinterest. I haven’t been on there in a long time but I remember looking up healthy foods there. Thanks for reminding me about it. You’re right about drifting away from what you go there looking for. Go there for food. End up looking at life hacks and how to better organize your home.

Those egg muffins look pretty tasty. I will attempt them tomorrow morning for breakfast!

I woke up this morning not hungry but dragging my behind around. Don’t feel crappy but my head is a little cloudy. Had breakfast and it went away. No headaches for you today!

If you make egg muffins - I don’t use all (6) eggs… I usually eyeball and add some egg whites. Enjoy! They’re super good w/cheddar cheese.

So… logged breakfast into Carb Manager app… off to a great start today!

(Robert Smith) #44

@MarEE I will keep that in mind! I’m about to have some bacon wrapped asparagus for lunch! yummy!

I’m glad you’re using the app. It will keep you within your numbers. You can fine tune what you’re eating based off of the numbers. I really want a piece of bread :tired_face:

Yum! That sounds like a good idea for my dinner tonight since I have asparagus in the fridge. :blush:

(Robert Smith) #46

Nice! I decided to cook the bacon in a cast iron skillet first, then put the asparagus in the bacon fat and bake it for 20 mins :slight_smile: dee-lish

(Robert Smith) #47

Day 4 and I used a test strip this morning. I’m showing trace amounts of ketones!

Good for you. Happy for you.

I must admit I’m already having a hard time this week… I stressed b/c I learned my dog is sick and there may not be much that can be done for her due to her age. I’m trying to stay positive and know it’s part of life to lose a pet but was not expecting the news this week. I’ve had her since she was 8 weeks old and she’s 11 now. Hoping the meds she got will help but it doesn’t seem like it.

All of a sudden not motivated much when my mind is on her.

(Alec) #49

Robert
Suggest you drop the ketone supplement. Absolutely not required and some would say counterproductive. Your body makes ketones when it burns fat to make glucose for the few parts of the body that need glucose. Ketones are a by product of the process, not the aim of the process. It is just a marker that the fat burning is happening and that we are eating few enough carbs that the body starts making its own glucose. Thus we are running on fat as fuel. Now THAT is the goal.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #50

So sorry to hear this. It’s heartbreaking to lose a pet.

Thank you. I appreciate that. I’ve never lost a dog before. I know when her time comes, it’s going to be hard. I’ll likely need to let my work know I need bereavement when she passes! Lol

(Robert Smith) #52

One week down. Starting weight was 238lbs. Today’s weigh in totally amazed me.

Don’t mind my ninja turtle feet.

(Robert Smith) #53

Down another 3 pounds. 224. I couldn’t have imagined how effective this diet actually is. I was afraid I would mess up and not do something right.

It’s helped me be mindful of what i am putting into my body and how much of it as well! Loving it!

(Robert Smith) #54

I got my labs back yesterday. My doc left a note that I was in a very healthy range for everything. Could you advise me on what to post here?

(Omar) #55

congratulations

Maybe I can not tell you what to post

but I can tell you to celibrate and party.

You are lucky.

Enjoy life and be thankful for being healthy.

We tend to react to the negative things in our lives, but we do not appreciate the things we consider given and normal

every time you face an obstacle just think positive for being healthy.

Hi, new here too. I use the Carb counter, but am confused by it. What is the difference between the net carbs and total carbs? Which am I supposed to try and hit?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #57

You can subtract fiber from the amount of carbs because fiber is not absorbed in the body and does not produce an insulin reaction. So net carbs is total carbs less fiber.

Some sugar alcohols can be subtracted too, but I never bother with that.

Most people go by net carbs, but it’s a personal choice. I use total only because MFP doesn’t account for net when I track, but I also don’t freak out when I end at 23g carbs for the day because I know a lot of that is fiber.

(Ron) #58

20g carbs is NOT a goal, more like a maximum limit. Try to be as low as possible and don’t exceed.:+1::wink: