New here and need some advise

(Alex ) #1

Hi All,
I’m new to this forum and mainly started up because I’m looking for some advise to get over some hurdles. I started with Keto right after Thanks Giving and it worked great. Started losing weight immediately. I never measured my ketones and never really measure my fat intake either. I defiantly did change my diet though. Since I started I’ve lost 30lbs but for the last four weeks I’ve been stuck at 175lbs. Lately the days I workout I can’t keep my eyes open after 9:30 - 10 o’clock (I use to go to bed at midnight). I recently purchased the keto mojo and my ketones tend to always be at .06 regardless whether I just ate or my last meal was 13hrs ago.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My goal is to get down between 165-170lbs but more importantly than weight is to reduce another 5% body fat and getting rid of my remaining spare tire. Will increasing by ketones help with this? If so, how or what would I need to change?

(Cathy) #2

Congrats on your successes so far. A couple of comments from me are

1. weight loss is never linear - it should be expected that there will be pauses and stalls. Hang in there.

2. weight loss is very slow the closer one gets to goal - that just is a fact. Consider it practice for maintenance

3. the point about being fatigued makes me wonder if your thyroid might be an issue. It is worth it to have it checked out.

4. .06 fasting blood ketones indicates you are in ketosis and unless you are overeating carbs in some way or at some times, it is just where you want to be.

5. trying a bit of intermittent fasting is never a bad idea. It gives the body a shake up and further lowers insulin.

(Brad Cady) #3

I would suggest tracking your food intake. Make sure that your carbs are as low as you think they we.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #4

You have been eating Keto for long enough that you should be in ketosis and fat adapted. Do you know if you are fat adapted?
Are you eating too much fat now that you are fat adapted? Too much protein? Your calories may be too little… what is your current food plan like?

(Omar) #5

if you lost 30 lb then your body is smaller than when you started.

a smaller body will consume less energy very much like a small car vs a large car.

when the metabolism reduces your weight loss will reduce.

one trick you can experement with is feast and fast.

the feast day will tend to increase your metabolism and the elevated metabolism will extend over the fast days and thus increase the chance of further weight loss.

I tried this and it works but weight loss is not a target for me.

I try to keep in mind that the improved life quality is my main goal from keto not anything else. but I am sure other people have different priorities.

I am a beliver that for a certain diet there is optimal body weight. And if I try to push that balance or disturb it it will not be without a cost.

(Alec) #6

Alex (great name!!)
To help you we need to see what you’re eating. Could you pls post a typical day’s food for you, and we can let you know what’s good and what’s not so good.
Cheers
Alec

(Alex ) #7

#3, all is per test.
#4, I hear about people being at 1.5 even as high as 2.0. Does that really make a difference? Is the body burning more fat when ketones reach a higher number? How much should I be eating of carbs? I do try to eat a fair share of greens (salad) and veggies.
#5, You mean going 16-20hrs without eating?

(Alex ) #8

Any suggestion on a good and easy app to use for tracking food intake and maybe even exercise or is the exercise part of it not important.

(Cathy) #9

#3 - your thyroid has been tested?
#4. I don’t think it is known whether having higher ketones makes a difference. I believe the science indicates that you are primarily a fat burner is your ketones are .05 or higher. Many people have to keep total carbs to 20g per day and that means no subbing out fiber.
#5. Intermittent fasting is a loose term. It can be as little as 12 hours and up to a couple of days. Technically it should be no food or drinks aside from water.

(Alex ) #10

How would I know if I’m fat adapted? Is eating to much protein a problem?

Simplifying it, M-F I usually start with a coffee w/heavy cream or eggs w/bacon & ham. Lunch will be a fatty protein with salad and/or mixed veggies and dinner looks similar except the side is usually mixed with butter and/or butter and/or heavy cream.

(Alex ) #11

Okay 20g is very little. I believe I eat a lot more then that. Does it matter that I exercise too or I should maintain it low at 20g.

In research this topic a little, I see some people include black coffee or tea. Is that okay or technically incorrect. Will the coffee or tea release insulin and work against me during a fast?

(Cathy) #12

20g is not difficult generally. Many people here are doing that and some do a 0 carb way of eating.
Black coffee or tea is technically not a pure fast but there are lots of variations and it really comes down to what works. You need to experiment.

(Claire) #13

Carb Manager is good. Very easy to input what you eat by scanning bar codes or searching lists