New Here and a little puzzled

This is my 8th day to the keto diet and it was going pretty good until I hit 7 now 8 days. Some cravings are coming back…sweets and just kind of lethargic and not feeling as good as when I first started. Keeping my carbs below 20, in fact some days lower than that. Just added some electrolytes and I drink a couple large bottles of the smart water that has them also. Any suggestions why the overall change.

(Teresa Driver) #2

When in doubt eat more fat. I find that sweets cravings can generally be solved with a tablespoon of butter or coconut oil. I have an insulin response to artificial sweeteners, but before I knew that Russell Stover’s Sugarless Candy was good in a pinch.

(Sonia A.) #3

Welcome to the forum. You’re in the right place to ask questions, there are really nice people here always ready to help.

In my experience, when I have cravings, it’s usually because of two things : hidden carbs or too much protein. For some people, it could be because of sweeteners or dairy. When it happens, until I find the culprit, I increase my fat intake.

I tried some stevia dark chocolate chip until I realized they had to many carbs so I ate just 20 instead of the serving size of 60…I don’t know lately the last few days sure have been different for me…hopefully tomorrow will be better…thanks so much. I just had a couple slices of avacado

(Jeremy Storie) #5

Why stop at a couple of slices? Eat the whole thing :grin:

Good point …still trying to grasp and stop worrying about calories…lol

(Deb) #7

Broth/bouillon/salt intake was my problem. I was a binger all my life. Since increasing my salt intake and starting my day with bouillon, my cravings have stopped and I am 3 lbs from goal ( and thinking of going lower!)

(Anderson Herzogenrath Da Costa) #8

For some people sweeteners will increase cravings.
Cut it for a few weeks and then reintroduce to test yourself.

I was thinking my salt could be a problem. Had a fat bomb with my coffee but still not getting away of something sweet with my coffee. I appreciate your feedback so much. So helpful…I was a binge eater also so this has been so shocking to this body of mine lol

(AD Keto) #10

I found that cutting sweeteners temporarily really helped my cravings in the early going. I then did a little testing with different ones (I’d started with Stevia, but now use Truvia). And when in doubt, eat fat. :smiley:

I found it took a few weeks before I started feeling better and really two months before I started feeling really good (better than I did before Keto).

Fat intake and salt helps. For me, any sweets/carbs only drove up the hunger and carb cravings.

(Noemi) #12

First post, sorry if in wrong place. Just started keto 5 days ago. The plan I am following says I need to ONLY eat 3 meals a day and basically “white knuckle” through the hunger until body adjusts. Problem - I am not a good hungry person! In fact, I get hangry. To combat that, I brought high protein zero carb snacks like pork rinds, cheese and walnuts to help get through. Am I doing this wrong? I have 50 lbs to lose.

Is it ok for me to be eating these things until my hunger starts going away? I can’t give up.

@nrskok
Two thoughts

1. whatever (non-carb) way you need to help you get through the initial period is fine and you can tweak and fine-tune later once you’ve adapted and aren’t hungry;

2. generous fat (rather than high protein) helps. Protein is particularly satiating, but it can also spike insulin, which will only keep you on the insulin/hunger wagon;

No, three ideas: sometimes when I’m trying to make a change I try everything (besides the change in question) to be REALLY nice to myself. Indulgently nice (special baths, favorite walks, curling up with a book or nice movie… basically anything that feels like a treat to you so that your brain doesn’t freak out with a feeling of deprivation).

(Noemi) #14

I love all those ideas, esp. the last. I never even thought about being nice to myself. It’s always easier to be hard on myself! I appreciate your advice, thank you!.

Nice to yourself is important! Pre-LC, my house was my personal paradise on the evenings I set aside to work on taxes: plenty of chocolate, ice cream, good wine, plus a special promise from my husband if I was done by 10.
Fortunately, the promise is enough to get me through tax prep these days :wink:

Thanks everyone…I had couple days the weekend and had too many fat bombs and walnuts and my mind went to complete failure…tha s where logging in helped and I could see I wasn’t as bad as I thought I was. Also after a that my sweet cravings where over the top…I tried the salt and it did help to my surprise…I already had plenty of fat. This place is so helpful…I have stayed glued pretty much for a week…lol