New have done research but still a bit lost

(Short224) #1

_I just started yesterday I just left a diet that you had to count points for everything and I’m over that I had great results in the past with it ,but now sugar is my kryptonite and I no longer can eat just a little bit I was tired of starving everyday . I have done research but I guess I’m still confused I feel like I’m over eating protein possibly but being day 2 I am hungry . Yes I am doing butter and olive oil,bacon and cheese for fats I guess my question is can I over eat protein and it cause me not to lose weight or over eat fat . I see people say eat bacon but isn’t that both fat and protein i would appreciate any help I can get as this is something I want to stick with I’m hungry but the hunger is bearable compared to when I eat sugar it’s a completely different hunger . _

(Jay AM) #2

You provided little information that we can work from to customize advice for you so, I’ll give you my general recommendations. Feel free to give us some food logs to look at and also tell us if you are supplementing electrolytes as well as your general stats like age, height, weight.

We have a few sayings here, “keep calm, keto on” and “trust the process.” Keto isn’t a quick weight loss diet. It’s a health gaining way of eating with fat loss as a side effect. If the scale is an unhealthy obsession, put it away for a couple of months or give it to a neighbor you don’t like.

There are two phases to ketosis and a ketogenic lifestyle.

Nutritional ketosis is phase one. Your body begins to produce and uptake some ketones while dumping the rest. It will still search for glucose to use as fuel. In this phase it’s not an efficient process. It has to work actively to get rid of stored glycogen, clean up excess blood sugar, and turn on the ability to use ketones.

Fat adaptation is phase two. Your body is efficiently producing ketones from intake and stored body fat and is also using them efficiently for energy. It takes around 6-8 weeks of strict keto to achieve for many but not all.

The basic “rules” I go by and many others can agree with especially for beginners are:

*20g net carbs max (you might tolerate more but, starting out, 20g net carbs or less will get you into ketosis.)

*Moderate protein (1g-1.5g per kg of lean bodyweight is a good goal based on the 2 Dudes recommendations.)

*Fat to satiety (add fat to every meal and, if you are hungry, eat more fat. Don’t be afraid of fat. It is energy.)

*Do not restrict calories

*Do not exercise excessively

*Drink plenty of water

*Get plenty of sodium and other electrolytes (search for ketoaide here in the forums)

(Short224) #3

_I am a 35 year old female 5 feet tall and 169 pounds . My first two days were pretty much the same breakfast was 2 scrambled eggs in butter with either 2 slices of bacon or sausage,cheese for a snack and a NY strip for dinner soaked in olive oil and a olive oil based dressing I make over a few cucumbers and tomatoes. _

(Alec) #4

Looks great to me. My advice? If you feel hungry, eat fat. Don’t worry too much for now about protein/fat balance. just find something fatty and eat it (bacon and eggs would do). When you start keto it is important NOT to be hungry. If you are hungry, eat fat.
Cheers
Alec

(Karen) #5

When I started I completely over ate protein. I am much better at my macros now. For example 2 eggs, 2 strips bacon, 2T butter, 2 cups spinach. 40 g fat, 21 g protein, 2g net carb. 425 calories. Repeat something similar.

K