New guy on the block

(Karl livesey) #7

Thanks steve, im guessing stivia is a sweetener, similar to sucralose. And im in England, so im guessing heavy cream will be double cream.
I use a blender.
I am grateful for all advice and tips.

(Candy Lind) #8

NO. Stop drinking that coffee mate crap. Get some real cream and butter and make REAL bulletproof coffee. You need more fat with that chicken breast for lunch, too - butter, sour cream, cheese, mayonnaise, whatever you like. You are not eating enough calories unless you are 168cm tall.

Give us some vital statistics so we can give you some advice. You can do easy meal prep, even possibly buy mostly pre-cooked stuff, and still have great keto macros. We’ll get you there.

(Karl livesey) #9

Hi candy.
Im 5ft 6 inch and 13 stone
170 cm and 182lbs.
Just bought a jar of mayo, and a tub of cream cheese
And love how people on here have a great positive atitude

(Chris W) #10

In the first couple weeks maybe up to 6 weeks keep your eating schedule normal, let your body adjust. After that when you are keto adapted it will be easier to adjust eating schedules and do IF. If that means you are eating 2 meals a day than continue that, if 3 than continue that. Get used to your portions for the day, then after a while you can adapt easier.

Lean meats are ok at the moment but you should shift to fattier cuts as you use the lean meats up. Its both cheaper and you are getting you LCT’s in.
About 60% of what I eats is not cooked now a days things like sausage cheese etc. When I do cook it is very simple, the most complicated thing I do regularly is fat head pizza which is by no means complicated.
If you are making keto waffles you are doing about as complicated as I ever get, I dismissed them as too hard to do.

I work nights also and take a meal based on the rest of the day when I make it at lunch time very often it is a meat, spinach, cheese sticks, and guacamole cups. Since you do not like fish I recommend you find and omega-3 alternative as that will help you feel much better.

The first few weeks on the diet I lost nearly 2 stone (26pounds) in the first 3 weeks 22 pounds in the first 2 weeks. 44 years old I was basically 250 pounds and 32 % body fat.

(Steve ricci ) #11

From expetience: I’m almost zero carb. When i first started i ate more chicken and leaner meats and much less fat. After a couple months my short term memory was effected due to lack of carbs. The body converts fat into needed carbs for brain function and everything else. I got smart increasing my fat intake to%70 and i have never had any issues anymore. Im still almost zero carb and i love it.

(Candy Lind) #12

Alll - RIGHTY, then! I’m red-faced. :blush: But I think the mayo and cream cheese are a good start. So, do you buy the chicken pre-cooked, or cook it yourself? @LeCheffre is right, thighs are a better fit for keto and they are also harder to screw up if you’re not a great cook. Do your grocery stores have rotisserie-cooked chickens? You can do a million things with a pile of chicken pulled from one. Often the stores here will pull it off the bones for you.

If you are hungry when you wake up, keep eating breakfast. One morning, if you wake up and aren’t so hungry, see how far a BPC will take you. It sometimes becomes the “transition meal” for people to go from 3 meals a day, to two, then OMAD. It’s a natural progression into intermittent fasting (IF). But especially starting out, ALWAYS eat to satiety. Don’t let yourself hang out and get “hangry”.

(Karl livesey) #13

Wow, great going Chris.
You eat raw sausage. Or am i miss reading your reply.

(Candy Lind) #14

:rofl: Think “slicing up a fully-cooked summer sausage or pepperoni stick” …

(Candy Lind) #15

WOW, @Stevejill91 , that’s scary. I’m going to remember that little anecdote.

(Chris W) #16

Several kinds, mostly salami, summer sausage(not sure if that can be had in the UK), and some pre-cooked reheated breakfast style. I am now what you call 16:8 IF (16 hours fasted 8 hour eating window) normally my first meal starts at noon with a couple eggs and some bacon or the sausage, or maybe both. I do eat brats and the like as well. At your weight I would expect about 8-10 pounds of loss pretty quickly if you keep your water, salt and fat intake up there. Do not cut fat at this point it will not help you any.

(Karl livesey) #17

Lol. Yep a bit of a short arse.
Skipping breakfast isnt a problem. I havent really eaten breakfast regulary for 20 years. I usually just have a coffee. Only started having breakfast 2 days ago, to try and start keto.
Very happy to go with just a keto coffee,
About meat, i fry bacon and eggs in coconut oil
Chicken usually on george forman

(Chris W) #18

The real important thing to take away from this phase is to understand your intake, and not be hungry, eat fat until you are full. You should not really be hungry from this point forward.
Getting your ketone levels up and your body to fat adaption are the keys to this phase, so keeping carb intake low and fat intake up and proteins moderated to avoid insulin spikes which shut down the keto process and delay the fat adaption.

(Candy Lind) #19

@Kdl1969 what @In2steam said. That chicken needs some fat, and the water and SALT will keep you from getting keto flu. Salt everything you can manage (except maybe that glorious frothy creamy yummy BPC).

(Karl livesey) #20

Haha, sausage over here is, a minced pork or other meat, with salt spices, encased in a skin, normally intestine.

(Chris W) #21

That part sounds excellent, coconut oil helps with ketone production, I am not a coffee person so I cannot help much with advice there but I would eat the coconut oil directly if possible either a fat bomb or in a liquid like coffee. Butter is also very good I get a quicker reaction out of butter for what ever reason but I am a lot farther along so what is working for me will not work for you at this moment.

(Chris W) #22

That is what most sausage is here as well.

(Karl livesey) #23

Wow, and thanks to all here for replying, my confidence is growing.
So breakfast bpc. Well happy about that.

Main meal
, chicken( for now, maybe home made meatballs from mince meat). Spinach with mayo.

Supper
Keto waffles with cream cheese

(Chris W) #24

don’t dump the eggs and bacon, IMHO they are the perfect keto food. What are your macros?
You should be in the 1700 calorie range at this moment depending upon your BF% and exercise level, you are nearly my size now.
Personally I would eat until you are full, try not going over the protien, extra fat will not be much of a worry for the first few weeks.

(Karl livesey) #25

Chris, dont know about macros, i have never counted calories im my life.
10 years ago i was married and weighed around 150lbs, since i got divorced, started working as a taxi driver on nights, i hve put on over 30lbs. My eating habbits have been worse than crap. Pizzas, chinese and other takeaway meals, chocolate and cookies. So after looking at a photo on holiday in just my shorts, i thought omg, you fat b…rd. i need to change.

I stopped smoking 6 months ago as well
Excersice is none at the moment. But my friend has suggested we start running

(Karl livesey) #26

Wonder if adding bacon to the waffles, the waffles are made with eggs, so im keeping the eggs and bacon