New guy on the block

(Chris W) #21

That part sounds excellent, coconut oil helps with ketone production, I am not a coffee person so I cannot help much with advice there but I would eat the coconut oil directly if possible either a fat bomb or in a liquid like coffee. Butter is also very good I get a quicker reaction out of butter for what ever reason but I am a lot farther along so what is working for me will not work for you at this moment.

(Chris W) #22

That is what most sausage is here as well.

(Karl livesey) #23

Wow, and thanks to all here for replying, my confidence is growing.
So breakfast bpc. Well happy about that.

Main meal
, chicken( for now, maybe home made meatballs from mince meat). Spinach with mayo.

Supper
Keto waffles with cream cheese

(Chris W) #24

don’t dump the eggs and bacon, IMHO they are the perfect keto food. What are your macros?
You should be in the 1700 calorie range at this moment depending upon your BF% and exercise level, you are nearly my size now.
Personally I would eat until you are full, try not going over the protien, extra fat will not be much of a worry for the first few weeks.

(Karl livesey) #25

Chris, dont know about macros, i have never counted calories im my life.
10 years ago i was married and weighed around 150lbs, since i got divorced, started working as a taxi driver on nights, i hve put on over 30lbs. My eating habbits have been worse than crap. Pizzas, chinese and other takeaway meals, chocolate and cookies. So after looking at a photo on holiday in just my shorts, i thought omg, you fat b…rd. i need to change.

I stopped smoking 6 months ago as well
Excersice is none at the moment. But my friend has suggested we start running

(Karl livesey) #26

Wonder if adding bacon to the waffles, the waffles are made with eggs, so im keeping the eggs and bacon

(Chris W) #27

sounds a lot like me in the last couple years.
Macros are easy, you will need to know your body fat at some point but you can take an educated guess for now I use this one. The macros give you the guides you need to follow for the keto journey, they are not hard and fast but make it easier to determine if you are heading in the right direction lacking any feed back.
The biggest thing you need to focus on the next couple weeks is keeping the carbs as close to zero as possible, if your protein gets high you can make into glucose which can also effect insulin which can shut down ketosis for some time(how long is hard to say.) Then eat fats to you are full, when you eat sausage and cheese that part becomes a lot easier.
After that you really need to watch your salt intake it will need to be boosted in the next week or so if you started in the last couple days. I will note macros are not counting calories per say, that is more along the lines of restricting what you eat based on simply calories. But that is another topic.
As for knowing your macros I use this one

(Omar) #28

To me coffee mate is synonymous for poison

I do not know if I have food allergy to it or it is bad stuff.

(Candy Lind) #29

The first two ingredients are corn syrup solids and hydrogenated vegetable oil. Need I say more?

(Rob) #30

The baseline energy of this meal plan starts around 1150kcal depending on how much of some of the added fats you use. Unless you are drinking the coconut oil, adding lots of fat to the chicken/spinach and having more cream than coffee in the BPC, you seem pretty light on calories. Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) for your height/age/weight is about 1960 when sedentary and about 300 more if lightly active. We don’t count calories in keto per se (well, some do) BUT you need to know in order to prevent starving yourself which is definitely NOT part of keto. When you are adapted, your appetite will fall away but at that stage it isn’t calorie restriction since it won’t impact your BMR. Until then, calorie restriction is likely to slow fat adaptation and not burn fat like you’d think.

You need more energy/calories and it is relatively easy by substituting fattier versions of what you are eating. As mentioned, chicken thighs - skin on - for breasts, if you don’t already, do belly/streaky instead of back bacon - you need the fat more than the protein. Sausage (bangers) are great - check the label for filler carbs, but there are 0-2 carb bangers) and then grill up a couple of packets at once. You can eat hot or cold and I find they reheat in the microwave pretty well. Look for the fattier minced beef, (chicken/turkey are too lean) or pork. Lamb is good for fat content and much more available/cheaper in the UK than US. When you pick out meat at the supermarket, look for the fattiest ones you can see. I do a beef pot roast now and again (cheap joint, keto veggies and stock in a pot for 3-4 hrs) and then spend all week slicing it up for meals where I vary the veggies/sauce.

Olives are a good high fat, low carb snack, great with cheese, salami, ham, etc. Nuts are high fat low carb, (Except cashews - shame) especially macadamias (butter in nut form) and almonds, walnuts, pecans. Hit up an Aldi and load up :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Don’t fear the fat or the salt (lots of salty recommendations above) and you can get most of your macros (70%+ fat by calories) just in food and not have to eat fat bombs or swig Olive Oil etc.

Best of luck and KCKO!!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

Yup. “Heavy cream” or “whipping cream” is American for double cream.

Roasting a chicken or a pork shoulder is dead easy, and you could eat for days off it. In the U.S., a pork shoulder is called a “picnic,” don’t know what the term is over there, but your butcher will probably be able to tell you. I do know, from a year in London decades ago, that the British and American cuts are quite different, and so is the vocabulary. If there’s an Aldi near you, check it out. They apparently have good keto food at really nice prices. (They’re over here, too, but somewhat hard to find.)

Exercise will not help you lose weight, but if you enjoy it, do it for that reason.

I like to snack on pork rinds/skins/cicciaroni, and on buttered cheese. There is a delicious double Gloucester that you can find in specialty cheese shops over here that import a lot of their stock, and I have also seen an amazingly tasty triple-cream French Brie. You should have a lot less difficulty finding them over there. To get your fat intake up, try buttering your cheese. Sounds silly, but it’s actually very tasty. At least try it once.

Once you start really metabolizing fat instead of glucose and your satiety mechanism kicks in, you will find that your biggest challenge will become finding the time to eat all the good keto foods. My biggest problem these days is that I’m no longer hungry in the mornings, and by the time I want breakfast, it’s almost time to start cooking supper! So I don’t get to eat bacon nearly as often as I would like, anymore. :frowning: :bacon:

(Ron) #32

I adjusted my dinner menu just for that reason and now incorporate bacon in many dinner meals.:tongue:

(Karl livesey) #33

Thanks Chris. And all, for taking time for adice.
I couldnt reply, as a newbie i only had 22 replies for the day.
These are what i should be doing.

(Rob) #34

No man should be eating 1376 kcal as a baseline ever :scream: (only slightly joking). I put your details in to the same calculator and it gave about 1850 to maintain and even that is low compared to other calculators focused on TDEE - just over 2000. You (reasonably so) put in a 20-25% deficit to get that number I assume BUT sadly this is wrong. All the keto calculators seem to still believe in CICO (calories in, calories out), which is largely discredited in that simple form. Keto works by fixing your metabolic health by removing carbs and letting the body’s carb-free mechanisms (managing insulin down, lipolysis - fat burning (and consequent ketosis)) fix organs/systems AND get you to a healthy weight in the process. When you fat adapt you should NOT starve the body since the key thing is to adapt from carb burning to fat burning. Starving the body at the same time, confounds that process and is more likely to damage your basal metabolic rate (BMR). I know it sounds nuts, but to lose weight, at least initially, you need to eat more! My first 20lbs lost were all while eating above 2500kcal a day, mostly fat. The body is generally smart but doesn’t like being starved.

As much as I like ruled.me, the CICO obsession with deficits is a massive weak point. I would (and did) aim to eat keto things to the “maintain” level and potentially more if you are still hungry. You shouldn’t be hungry on keto (except maybe on a fast). Once you have sufficiently adapted, your appetite should fall and then you can keep eating to satiety but you might easily find that you are full at the 1300 kcal level (I was). The big difference is that once “fat adapted”, the body seamlessly uses body fat rather than saying “OMG, this bloke is trying to starve me”.

Good luck and KCKO!

(David) #35

Many of the sausages in the UK have quite a high carbs content. They pack them out with flour to make them cheaper and “tastier”. They is one brand called Heck which sell 90% meat sausages with no added for or carbs.

(David) #36

You are right. Aldi sell fantastic and tasty prepacked joints of pork and beef that you just microwave. They come with a sachet of sauce that you just throw away. I really good meal for very little money (especially with added butter).

(Rob) #37

When you check the labels, the more expensive ones usually have fewer carbs. I found 1g/sausage ones at Asda, Sainsbury and Waitrose. Sadly you often have to pay more to dodge the carbs. :frowning_face:

(David) #38

I have huge problems resisting the ribs-of-fire from Morrisons. Talking of rotisserie Chickens brought it to mind. Oh boy.

(Karl livesey) #39

Thanks Rob, this is complicated to get into. But im determind.
So if i put in another bpc, im closer

(Chris W) #40

Yeah I think that is pretty much the standard, I just saw a comment in another post about about a local large brand, I avoid large case sausages (brats, keilbasa, itialian etc.) and go mostly for breakfast sausages. When I do have them I consider in at least 1 carb each if I have access to the label. If I don’t such as at a brat fry( a local very common fund raising effort) I assume they used cheap ones and go 3g each. I live in the epicenter of cheese, bratwurst and large scale beer production for the country.