New guy here

(James) #1

Hey,

I’m James, a 47 male who’s been the ‘big guy’ most of my life. A few years ago I noticed my weight really affecting my life and found I was about 450 lbs!

I went vegan for a time as well as trying variations of just eating what we were told was healthy (high carb - low fat). I managed to get down to 370 but got stuck there for about a year. My body just didn’t want to change.

Found out about Keto and was amazed I didn’t hear of this sooner. There was real science behind why it worked. I’ve now been doing keto for almost 3 weeks and I’m down 17 lbs, my blood pressure is going down, my energy is up, and I notice my joints seem less “creaky”.

I’m not 100% better of course but I’m much better off than I thought I had a right to expect after just a few weeks.

Today I started my first fast. I’m trying for 24 hours, mostly to see how I feel and react to it. If things go good I think I’m try for 48 hours and break the fast when my family gets together for Easter.

I look forward to learning more and getting to know people here.

James.

Excellent work! Hope you stay in touch and let us know how your keto journey evolves!

You’re on the right forum!

(Mary 🌹 ) #4

Good Luck James! I am fasting right now! I feel Great! I read Jason Fungs Book and I know that it is a Healthy thing to give your Liver and Kidneys a well deserved break!
Happy Easter​:pray::wink::grinning:

(Retta Stephenson) #5

Welcome, @JamesH !

I agree with @marybeth00. The Complete Guide to Fasting by Dr Jason Fung is the best investment EVER. Full of how, why and the science behind fasting. Very motivating.

(Jaidann) #6

Welcome James! Well done and keep at it. You can do it!

(Cheryl) #7

That’s great!

(Keto in Katy) #8

Good to hear of your early success James. There are tons of great resources and smart people on this forum so it could be a lot of help on your path. Keto on!

(James) #9

Thanks for the warm welcome and for the book recommendation. I really want to check that out.

I just passed the 24 hour point in my first fast and I feel great. I remember hearing on the 2 Keto Dudes podcast that hours 18-24 seemed to be when the hunger would hit so I timed that when I would be sleeping.

Sure enough, going to bed I was feeling a bit hungry but I woke up feeling better and 1.8 lbs lighter than the day before. YEA!

I decided to extend the fast one more day since I’m feeling so good.

Thanks again and I hope everybody has a great weekend!

(Richard Morris) #10

Wow 3 weeks keto and you’re already headed past 24 hours fasted … nice going.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #11

I look forward to getting to know you! It’s exciting watching others get well. I’ve been at this 3 years, so I’ve seen things, Lol. Have you listened to the podcasts? http://2ketodudes.com
I’m on there a few times. I’ve lost at least 100 lbs, reversed T2DM, eliminated hypertension and depression with the ketogenic diet.
YOU’RE IN THE RIGHT PLACE KID

(James) #12

Thanks Richard, hearing you and Carl on the podcast got my motivated to give it a try! :slight_smile:

(James) #13

Hi Brenda, I’m actually in the middle of listening to the episode where you were a guest for the first time. Just a few minutes ago I got to the part about about not trying a fast till you are fat adapted and I got a little nervous. But I figured since I’m feeling so good it can’t be too bad.

I’m looking forward to joining in some of your group fasts as well in the future!

Hi James. Great to have you on board.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #15

Correct.
You are the expert of you. If you’re feeling good, carry on. We are all experiments of one.
Still, if someone asked me “when should I fast?”, I would encourage them to wait a month or two. Most new ketoers would find it very difficult early on because of incomplete fat adaptation, but apparently, you are a badass. :wink:

(Christopher Bingel) #16

Don’t get frustrated if the fast doesn’t work out the first time. It takes me months to get to the point where I can comfortably fast for a day or more. Heck, I’m usually at least a month in before I can do a 16 hour IF schedule without getting hangry or fuzzy headed. Good job on the attempt, and good luck, but don’t get discouraged if it’s not a success, and don’t make yourself sick trying to force the matter.

The biggest benefit from Keto for me was the ability to hear my body tell me when it’s hungry and when it’s full. If your body is screaming for food, listen. We want you to be around for all the fasts and pig roasts to come.

(James) #17

Thanks Christopher, I appreciate it. I told myself if it didn’t feel right I’d stop but I have enjoyed it. I really liked learning more about how my body reacted.

I just passed my 48 hour point and I’m going to make a bacon, egg, and cheese omelet now. Yumm. Plus I got to 349.6 lbs this morning so I hit my 350 lb. mini goal I had set. Lookin’ towards 300 now. I’m loving keto!

(Karl L) #18

Good work by you, James! I’m new as well, so your success is an encouragement!

(Mary 🌹 ) #19

We are powered by KETONES NOW!

(Doug) #20

Welcome, James. My joints definitely feel better too. :slight_smile: