New Extended Fast Starts...NOW!

fasting
extended
extendedfast

Hello all.

I am embarking on an extended fast. I have been following a keto WoE for almost a year. I have dropped 80 pounds going from 260 to 180 in that time.

Earlier this summer I had a relapse to some “bad” eating habits for a couple of weeks but since then my macros have been right on the money. However my mood and general “way of feeling” have been terrible. Very anxious, depressed, fatigued and no joy.

This was NOT a problem in the past at all. I am a 46 Y/O male 6"1. Yes I am getting enough salt and magnesium.

So I just feel like I need a reset. I need a reboot. I am hoping that an extended fast will help turn things around as something just isn’t right.

If anyone wants to chime in and share their thoughts I would love to hear from you.

(Tim W) #2

Good luck in achieving your goals.

One note of caution, I have never had an issue with depression in my life but I have had some “dark spells” which may have been influenced by fasting periods. I was dealing with some other stresses at work so it’s hard to suss out but, at one point, my wife didn’t want me to use fasting for a few months to let things stabilize.

I’m an introvert who likes to think his way out of things, I got to a point where I was trying to tell myself to “buck up, it’s not so bad” but I could not think my way out of the funk, I had to buckle down and wait a week (and get my space from everyone) before I would come out of the black cloud. I’d get out of the cloud quicker when eating (and not at work!).

I’ll add this, during those times (I’d fast for a week, then start getting moody/depressive) I was eating carbs, then fasting. Our fasting this year has been keto/then fast, and it would seem I don’t have the same effect.

I only add this because you were already dealing with some symptoms, I’d hate to see them get worse.

(Doug) #3

Hi Mark. :slightly_smiling_face: Welcome. 260 to 180 - nice. Over 30% of your body weight; that’s a profound thing.

Are you pretty lean at 180, and have you fasted before? After nearly a year of keto and with your admirable weight loss, I figure you are well fat-adapted indeed, which should make fasting easier. Just wondering how much fat you have left - that seems to make a large difference on how easy fasting is, for many people.

Fasting has been a substantially popular topic here lately, and I hope you report in from time to time on how you’re doing.