New and plateau already

Hello,
I am new to this forum and new to keto. I have been doing for 8 weeks. I lost 8 pounds in the first 3 weeks. I’m 5’2 141 pounds and 33% body fat according to this fancy machine at my gym. My ideal body weight for me and the trainer I work with would be 130.
I workout regularly. For years…strength training and running 5-6 days a week. I do HITT training along with 3-4 mile easy runs w about 30 min of lifting. I get bored so I mix these up.
I eat
Coffee w drop of heavy cream and grass fed butter
Lunch noon salad w protein and half avocado lemon garlic tessamae dressing
I usually make dinner keto recipe last night was taco soup. I am in ketosis I have the pee things and it’s always the last two shades.
Anyway point being the scale hasn’t moved in 3-4 weeks. I am at 140-142 up down. No cheating etc. is the last 10 pounds that hard to lose? This is the same problem I have eating clean 80/20. I get to 140 and it’s a hault

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Don’t worry about it. You’re doing fine. Weight loss is not a linear process so you can expect up/downs, stalls/plateaus rinse and repeat. Keto is a normalization process involving hormones, enzymes, cells, organs and your metabolism generally - all at once! Normalization of weight is an added bonus. And, yes, apparently the last 10 pounds are the hardest to lose.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

Welcome to the forum. You probably don’t want to hear this but a lot of working out will slow or stop weight loss. Especially before you’re fat adapted. You might want to tone it way down till you reduce your body fat and then start back into the training intensity you seem to enjoy.

You might burn fat while adding muscle and bone mass also so it makes it look like a stall while recomposition is happening.

Your ideal weight should be determined by body fat percentage not a random choice. If you train hard that may only be five or six pounds less than now if you gain muscle while losing fat.

Hard training creates a lot of cortisol which can work against weight loss. Others can explain it better, hopefully someone will here. :cowboy_hat_face:

Omg how Do I not know this?? I have a really bad guilty feeling if I don’t work out. It really decresss stress level for me. What about low impact biking and walking? I have noticed my muscle soreness to be worse the last couple of months.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Biking, walking, HIIT resistance training are all good. But don’t do the cardio too much. And limit your weight training to 2-3 short sessions. Walking and bicycling are great. You can add more in a month or a little more. I’m not saying be lazy, just don’t train hard for now and focus on good eating till you’re fat adapted in a month or so. There’s also lots of other stuff to stimulate weight loss like intermittent fasting if you haven’t tried it yet. :cowboy_hat_face:

Sounds normal to me. A lot of the early weight loss is water. When you go into ketosis, your stored glycogen dwindles. Glycogen binds with water, so as the glycogen dwindles, that water is released.

After that, weight loss is slow. It takes time to lose (or gain) a pound of fat (or muscle). Especially when you don’t have a lot to lose. Most short-term weight fluctuation is a simple change in water retention and digestive tract contents.

It’s not uncommon for people to actually gain some weight after the “honeymoon phase”, as their body becomes fully adapted.

What you can do is review your macros and track what you eat, to make sure you’re doing all the right things. But, even then, being in ketosis is no guarantee of weight loss.

I have been not eating until noon I thought my coffee didn’t count I try to eat two meals between noon and 6 no change but I was reading about one meal a day but I don’t Know if I can do that I’m pretty hungry at noon but I also workout in mornings after coffee. I’m reading other feeds some info contradicting. I guess different stuff works for different people it’s just finding it. I have always had a hard time getting under 140. Since I’ve been 20 and I’m Almost 40 now.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

I’m 14 months in now and I have only had two OMAD days. I almost always eat TMAD. Occasionally 3MAD wjth my son.

I used to do like you, early coffee with cream. Technically this breaks the fast. I switched to black coffee when I get up at 6ish, eat breakfast somewhere between 9-10am and supper about 2:30pm usually. Often more black coffee in the afternoon. This gives me a clean 18-19 hour fast everyday. :cowboy_hat_face:

I like to eat dinner with my family I would have a really hard time doing something like that but I will try the black coffee I can’t drink it black on ice w cinnamon. Noon and dinner at 5:30. Ty!

(Susan) #11

I do lunch at 1pm and then supper at 4:30 for a 5pm-1pm the next day Fast of 20 hours daily – so it is an IF of 20:4. That works well for me with my family schedule, maybe that would be easier for you then David’s times.

Welcome Smarter.

A stall in weight loss is to be expected.

It is a wonderful time when eating, as your body is sorting itself out. As @OgreZed says, you and your body are adapting. The story is that it has a rest from losing weight and some fat, and gets busy repairing neglected areas like removing damaged tissues, renovating cell walls, renewing blood cells and immune cells, remodelling and repairing injured tissue (especially if you work out to muscle soreness that is more than just muscle ache from active use)…

Use ‘clothes fit’ as an added data point during this time.

Bathroom weight scale numbers are like the weeping angels in Dr Who. The numbers don’t move if you watch them. But if you look away for awhile and notice ankles not swollen, fingers not puffy, needing another belt notch etc. When you get back to the scales they surprise you.

Keep Calm and Keto On.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #13

Love the comparison!

(PSackmann) #14

Welcome!

Do a search for PISS (Post Induction Stall Syndrome), it’s very common and you’ll find a lot of threads about it on the forum. Also, ask your trainer to focus more on measurements instead of the scales, you have a lot of body re-composition going on. The scales only tell part of the picture, the measurements are where it’s at.
Above all, KCKO!

(Marianne) #15

Do you enjoy working out, or do you do it to control your weight? You don’t have to work out on keto to lose weight. Maybe you can do some pleasure walking or light weights to keep fit, but lose the parts you don’t enjoy. (I’m sure your trainer would disagree.)

I’ve lost 55-60 of my 80 lbs. (don’t weigh myself) by doing basically nothing until very recently. I did have several weekends of heavy gardening but no “working out.”

I just started back at Planet Fitness and have gone four times now in two weeks. Love the weights; don’t like the cardio. I started with very low impact stepping but messed up the sesamoid bone in my foot. I felt certain I was going to need surgery, it was so painful for two weeks. It is 90% better now but I no longer do stepping, just weights.

Moral of the story is to do what you enjoy, at least for now, and then as you become fat adapted, add back in the things you want.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #16

Exercise builds muscle. Burning fat, not so much. Correct hormonal responses cause fat burn. :cowboy_hat_face:

I enjoy it to a point some days if I feel
Like skipping I’ll just go for a walk or slow bike ride or do nothing. It is cheaper than therapy. Lol. Really helps w my stress levels.
I have never been overweight to a point where I have a large amount of weight to lose. I think that makes a huge difference

Needless to say I’m going to cut back for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

(traci simpson) #18

Hi
I’ve being doing this since April and I’ve only lost about 6 pounds. Only need or want to loose a total of maybe 10, 15 max.
Other than the scale not moving, I feel great!