Net carbs are already calculated in the UK, it turns out

carbs

(Jacqui) #1

I have my husband to thank for the realisation that in the UK and EU our food labelling already shows net carbs, so I should not be subtracting the fibre.

So in the USA a packet may say
Carbs 6.2g
Sugars 3.2g
Fibre 2g
So net carbs is 4.2g

In the UK and EU the same food would say
Carbs 4.2g
Sugars 3.2g

Fibre 2g
So net carbs is 4.2g, as already stated.

The fibre is not straight under carbs, which is a clue I suppose. My other clue was some items I tracked were coming up as negative net carbs!

I don’t know what the situation with net carbs is in other countries, but I just wanted to post this in case anyone else didn’t know.

I have now changed my tracking app to track total carbs so it doesn’t do the incorrect calculation for me. Thank goodness this was only on my 5th day of keto!

I hope everyone has had a great day!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Tracking total carbs includes sugar alcohols and fiber. These are undigestible carbs so I don’t think setting your app to total carbs is necessary unless you’re not doing well with net carbs. The majority of us track net. If you track total you have to eat a lot less vegetables to stay on track and I don’t think it’s necessary to count fiber as if it were a digestible sugar/starch. If you set it to net it will give you the correct amount of carbs minus the indigestible ones. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Jacqui) #3

Hi @David_Stilley,
If I set my app to net carbs it would give me the wrong number, as it is looking at the UK already calculated net carbs and then subtracting the amount of fibre again.

I agree, if I am looking at a US nutritional label then I need to subtract fibre from carbs, but for a UK nutritional label the calculation is already done for me.

So I think it depends on everyone’s local nutritional labels whether they should set their app to total or net. I am very new to this though, so could have missed something.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

On our label total carbs are listed first. Net are listed second with sub catagories. I have never heard of this issue before and I read a lot here. Are you talking about barcode readings coming up wrong? They should be the same regardless of European labels or US since they access an International data base. Can you show a sample if you have time? This is interesting.

(Jacqui) #5

Hi David, I find that barcode readings show the same nutrition information as on the UK label, which shows carbs, sugars and fibre, but fibre is further down the list. The carbs don’t say net, but they should.
I’ll see if I can post a picture.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #6

I love that the maths has been done for us here in UK.

Total carbs = actually ‘net’ carbs (because fibre is not counted in this total)
Of which sugars = what is says
Fibre = fibre

I’m so grateful for this - as a T1D I’ve been carb counting for over 30 years, and it’s very useful not to have that fibre-subtracting extra step in every calculation!

:smiley:

(Jacqui) #7

@KetoSnaps I agree, it’s handy to take a step out of the process, but I wish it was labelled net carbs as there may be many people subtracting the fibre again wrongly and putting their health at risk :grimacing:
It also gets confusing when using an app to count grams of carbs as you don’t know whether already recorded foods are total or net carbs, unless it’s a specific only to UK/EU brand.

The app I use does let you enter net or total carbs when adding a new food, so I’ve been putting my UK labels in as net. If others have recorded as total carbs that again means it’s wrong. Arg.

Although several out of the last few days I’ve been in single figures for total carbs, so I’m probably ok there! :joy:

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #8

Yes I guess with apps using US data that does make for a confusing difference!

It’s not all that long ago that I found out that ‘net carbs’ were actually even a thing - I suppose I’ve just always taken for granted the way I’ve always been used to - I don’t use an app so luckily haven’t come across this problem.

Nice one with your single figures! :+1:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

This is an issue we always try to point up whenever net vs. total carbs is discussed. The labeling laws in North America are different from those in the rest of the world.

• U.S. and Canadian regulations dictate that the carbohydrate amount be the total carbohydrate, with fiber listed underneath. If you want to count total carbs, you do no arithmetic; if you want to count net, you must subtract the fiber from the total amount.

• Regulations elsewhere in the world specify that the carbohydrate amount listed is the net amount, with fibre also listed. If you want to count total carbs, you must add the carbohydrate and the fibre amounts to get the total; if you want to count net carbs, no arithmetic is necessary.

This causes no end of confusion, and you have to be sure that you have set Cronometer or whatever other app you use to the correct country, or you will get erroneous carbohydrate amounts, regardless of whether you want net or total carbs.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

Cronometer lets you use a global total or net count. I set mine to net and fiber and sugar alcohols are automatically subtracted. If you set it to total it doesn’t. I love using Cronometer. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Jacqui) #11

@David_Stilley
Here are some examples. As you can see the fibre is separate. The white one with red and green lines is halloumi cheese, the other is a shake. If you subtract the fibre in the shake from carbs listed you get a negative value. That definitely tipped me off!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

Did you check the settings menu as @PaulL suggested to make sure it’s got the appropriate country setting? What app are you using? I use Cronometer and it sorts out things correctly if you have the settings correct. If you’re having troubles with the one you’re using investigate Cronometer, lots of us like using it. Lots of cool features for free. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Jacqui) #13

Thanks, I’ll take a look. I think I had a look at that one a while ago. I don’t think I found a setting for country though.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

You might wish to confirm with the Cronometer support people which database is being used when you log in.