Nestle

(Doug) #1

One of my brothers is an engineer for Nestle - the largest food company in the world. I visited him this weekend and he surprised me by having started ketogenic eating a week ago. Also by saying that Nestle, despite super-tanker momentum for such a huge firm, is aware of current trends and is aiming their business at some different, healthier areas. This year, the $2.8 billion U.S. candy business was sold off (Baby Ruth and Butter finger candy bars, Raisinets, etc.).

(Jacqui ) #2

The big food companies will have to get on board or go broke. We won’t take eating crap any more. We may be just a few but it is taking off like wild fire.
This generation will not accept the bottles of pills by big Pharma either. We want to make ourselves healthy by the foods we eat.
Have a great day.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

Only thing is, I can see a company like Nestle producing something like a Keto line that’s technically low carb but filled with a ton of other crap and processed to the hilt to market it as a healthy Keto food.

Unsuspecting newbies or those who want to do Keto but don’t have time for making real whole food meals will be living off low carb dirty
Keto junk food thinking their doing something really healthy.

At least that’s what I envision happening when a company like nestle says they are going to pay attention to these “new trends.”

(Alex Robinson) #4

I agree with the above poster, there in business to make money first, marketing can lead people to believe pretty much anything and unlikely they will come up with anything as it would cost a small fortune and people will just ignore it.

What you can bet is they will clean up there act somewhat then market it to the masses meanwhile have there army of lobbyist kill off any real worthwhile movement.

In the end “keto” isn’t the be all end all, what works for you might not work for someone else there are plenty of decent programs out there it whats suite you.

(icky) #5

Well, of course they are about $$$.

Anything else is naive.

But people doing dirty keto would be better than their current SAD WOE.

(Karen) #6

I would love to see sweet fat bombs, made with healthy fats, erithritol,dark chocolate and macadamia nuts.

K

(Doug) #7

Ha! LeeAnn - thinking of the nature of quite a few people I know, that sounds right - they’ll be “taking the easy way out,” to an extent, while telling themselves they’ve ‘seen the light.’ And no doubt marketing campaigns will be right in line with that.

Nestle has been selling candy for ~ 130 years, so it’s a surprising change, but yes - the money is what they are attempting to position themselves for. To this point, it’s only the U.S. they were “getting worried about,” and thus far they remain committed to the candy business in the rest of the world.

“Dirty keto” - I like this phrase. Don’t know if people speak of “dirty carbs” or “clean carbs,” but I agree that some change, any change, can be of benefit. (As often, looking in my own rear-view mirror and shuddering
)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Nestle’s Milk Chocolate MCT Bars? With bacon for that extra crunch?

(Ron) #9

close :rofl:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Ron! Wherever did you find that? Do they ship to Connecticut?

(Ron) #11

It’s a little carby. 62% choco

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Tks!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #13

Theres a bakery in Frankenmuth, MI that won one of those cooking show cupcake challenge competitions. We stopped there years ago and they sold chocolate covered bacon. I tried some but wasn’t impressed. Wasn’t very fresh.

But I’m now wondering what some made with my 92% extra dark would taste like. Maybe an experiment is in order.

(Diane) #14

Please proceed! And then report!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

BTW, chocolate chili sauce is a thing: mole sauce. (No, no moles in the recipe I saw, but catching one would give me some much-needed exercise, lol!) It’s an interesting combination of hotness and unsweetened chocolate.

When I was a junior in high school the Spanish club made mole poblano de guajalote, or turkey in chocolate sauce, for an international cooking contest. (We won the prize for “most unusual dish.”) The recipe called for poblano peppers, which are even hotter than jalapeños. If you make it, be warned: the pepper oil will hurt your hands for days afterward, so wear gloves!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #16

Hmmm
 I’ve never thought about adding chocolate to something like chili, but I do love adding some heat to chocolate desserts or hot chocolate with some cayenne pepper.

(Shayne) #17

I have a cocoa chipotle pepper seasoning in the cabinet. I haven’t used it in a while
 maybe time to break it out again.

(Doug) #18

LeeAnn, my dad likes hot stuff, and I once saw some “hot” dark chocolate in a store and got it for him. It was sweet enough that I’m sure it was not keto-friendly, but for those of us who like peppery heat, it was godly.

Lindt makes “Chili Excellence” - dark chocolate with red chili, but in 40 grams there are 24 grams of carbs. Ouch.

Paul, I have to disagree here - usually Jalapeños are quite a bit hotter, i.e. 5 times hotter or so. A lot of Mexican restaurants offer Poblanos stuffed, as with the common “Chile Relleno” dish, and I think that if they were as hot as Jalapeños they’d be too toasty for a lot of people.

(Candy Lind) #19

I have a friend who makes a dark chocolate bacon bark at Christmas that is “da bomb.” Or maybe I should say “da fat bomb.” :crazy_face:

(Candy Lind) #20

Mexican chocolate is traditionally spiced up with cinnamon. One of Emeril’s most downloaded recipes is his brownies with chipotle pepper in them. Works just as well in reverse!