Needing Help!

(Mary) #1

My husband and I have been doing keto for a little over a month now. I lost about 2 1/2 pounds the first week, and nothing since. In fact, I’ve gained back part of those first couple of pounds.

I only wanted/needed to lost 10 pounds or so to start. Actually, I’m. I’m not even dead set on losing the pounds…I was really hoping keto would help me lose some stubborn belly fat I’ve been carrying around for years.

We’re using the Carb Manger app, and my macros are set at 5:25:70. I have admittedly gone over on my fat/calories occasionally, but pretty much never on carbs/protein. I dont know if I just don’t really understand the diet or what, but I had thought it would be more forgiving than that as long as I kept carbs low. I’ve also read conflicting information on whether or not to track calories.

I’m a 56-year old, post-menopausal woman. Moderately active. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction and suggest how I might make adjustments. I’m finding keto really easy to stick to, but I don’t want to continue on if I’m just going to gain weight doing it.

Thanks in advance!
Mary

(Brennan) #2

I would think you’re on the right track, just give it a little more time. You’re probably not even fat adapted yet. Once that happens (a good sign is when you forget to eat or just aren’t hungry) you can play around with fasting and tweaking your macros. I’ve heard women don’t usually see the results as quickly as men, typically explained as a more complicated hormonal system to balance during adaptation.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #3

I agree, you’ve only just begun. It’s common for those who only have a tiny bit of weight to lose to see it go much more slowly, or for those who have a lot to lose to lose a bunch of weight quickly and get stalled on those last 10-20 lbs.

I’ve seen a post where someone asked about changing the shape of her body (she described pear) and another member posted photos of how she had changed the shape of her “pear” body but she was also incorporating exercise to change her body shape.

Finally, what were you eating before. If you were eating carbs, but not eating many calories it’s possible you are eating more than you were before. Again, it may take a bit of time for your body to get the message and become fat adapted.

Can you give us an example of what you’re eating daily?

(MelissaH) #4

It always helps when we have more info. Like a full day of eating. The last few pounds come off slower anyway because the body doesn’t naturally want to lose weight. As others will suggest, just give it time!

(Mary) #5

Probably not my most exemplary day of eating, but the macros are still pretty much on track. I also didn’t mention that we usually drink a couple times a week, but our drinks of choice have no carbs.

I’m just confused as to what to adjust when you’re stalled…do I increase fats, or decrease carbs? Or just leave things alone and wait it out? Also, how important is it to count calories if your macros are on point?

Thanks again! And thanks to those of you who have already replied.

A lot of people stall with things like Atkins bars or keto desserts in general. If possible it’s better to stick to whole, natural foods for the most part. A bit of sweetness is fine but too much of it can mess with gut bugs & cause bloating & the like. Booze is also a bit of a staller I’m afraid. I mean you are very early in the process to be talking of an actual stall but it’s worth keeping these things in mind.

(Brennan) #7

Some people have better results keeping total carbs under 20g instead of going by net carbs. Protein typically recommended to be 1-1.5g per kg lean body mass, some people find they can maintain with less though. So that could be another adjustment you could try. N=1, we are all a little different. It’s still early and making too many tweaks at once will make it hard to know which ones actually work for you.

(mole person) #8

If you are 56 years old and only have a few pounds to lose you may not find losses as quick as those with 50+ pounds to lose. I started keto at 130 lbs with about 20 lbs to lose and although the first few pounds melted off quite quickly, the last 10 were a struggle of figuring out what was making me hold those last pounds.

Now, at a month in only, I wouldn’t really worry. You’re still probably fat adapting and should eat when you are hungry. But ONLY if you are hungry.

If in two more weeks you still aren’t seeing any changes (and look at measurements and clothing fits, not just scale weight), then there are several things that will likely help.

First, as @Brennan suggested, count total carbs. I don’t do this for everything but I do it for ALL proccessed foods (so from your meals I’d count total carbs for the bread and the Atkins bar.

Second, once you’re fat adapted you will not need to eat as frequently. So initially you should drop all snacks. If you find you get too hungry between meals then eat more at mealtimes. Eventually, you will be able to go longer and longer without real hunger. This leads to longer and longer periods of low insulin which is when your body will turn to its fat stores.

Finally, I recommend getting rid of most of the deserty elements. If you’re sweetening your food then you are likely messing with your body’s signalling and you will continue to crave foods when you otherwise wouldn’t.

There are many other tweaks that some people on this WOE find they must use to achieve their final goals, but you aren’t even out of the adaptation stage so I won’t overwhelm you with a list you may not need at all.

As to your specific questions. The macros should be seen this way.

1. Twenty net carbs is a hard maximum. Fewer is better, and just don’t trust those “fibre” carbs on proccessed foods. Many here even use total carbs.

2. The protein macro is an aim. Try to hit it relatively closely but don’t obsess about a few grams up or down. Myself, I shoot more for a weekly average.

3. The fat macro is NOT an aim. It too is a maximum. You are only supposed to add as much fat as you need to not be hungry. Eating to and past your fat macro is likely why you are stalled. If you are eating your full fat macro when not hungry for it you are just giving your body food fat to metabolize INSTEAD of the fat on your body. This diet trains the body to metabolize fat and deprives it of carbohydrates so that it has to metabolize fat. But if you give it enough fat off your plate for all its energy needs then it never has to run to body fat at all.

I hope this helps.

(mole person) #9

Just a quick caveat. This is a high fat diet. The above shouldn’t make you want to restrict fat, just fat you don’t need in order to be satiated. Fat is our energy source on this diet so it’s vital to have enough or you will be tired and unhappy and your body will lower its metabolism to protect itself. So don’t try a low carb AND low fat diet. That being said most people who have excess fat on their bodies do not find they have to eat their full fat macro to feel satiated and vital once they are fully fat adapted.