Need some advice please

Hi everybody. I’ve been trying the Keto diet for 2 weeks. I’ve bought (and read) some books and I thought I was doing ok BUT I have gained 4 pounds and my urine has tested negative for ketones. Not sure what I’m doing wrong but, at the risk of being boring, here is a typical day’s menu: breakfast: Egg, mushrooms, bacon and tomatoes fried in coconut oil, lunch: cheese with salad or just tomatoes, dinner: beef, gammon, chicken or steak, green veg and cauliflower mashed with butter and double cream. Drinks are water, tea, coffee with double cream. Occasionally a glass of white wine with dinner. I’m so wanting this to work as I’ve tried every other diet known to man! I’d be very grateful for any advice

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #2

My guess is too many carbs just in the tomatoes

There are 7.5g in half a tin, is that too many? I wonder if a friend of mine has given me the wrong info. She told me to have 130g per day! Mind, she is diabetic so maybe she has to have that amount?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #4

First of all you’ve only been doing it for two weeks. Weight loss depends on a things like age, gender, metabolic health and medications you take. I see you have an under active thyroid in your bio and that you are 67 and have tried many diets over the years. I am assuming you’re female, correct me if I’m wrong and that you’re post menopausal, also correct me if I’m wrong.

Based on this, it may take longer for you to see results. Are you tracking your daily carbs? Have you also considered all condiments and quantity of the things you are eating that contain carbs. I also drink heavy cream and eat tomatoes but my daily carb count is around 20 grams a day.

After you’ve been on the site for 15 minutes you can read the Health sections. Here’s the thyroid one:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/health/thyroid

(Starfox Rose) #5

White wine and tomatoes. Alcohol will kick you out of keto sooooooo fast!

(Starfox Rose) #6

Also, I’ve been doing it 8 weeks, lost no weight, reduced down a size in clothing. Feel a aaaamzing!!!

(Jenny) #7

hi,

you shouldn’t be having 130 grams of carbs per day. or did you mean 130 grams of tomatoes or?

Try this calculator:

that will give you an idea of the protein and fat you need. Set the carbs at 20g and eat 20g of net carbs per day or less.

a net carb is carbs minus fiber and sugar alcohol, if the product has those.

good luck!

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #8

You need to keep the carbs below 20 grams a day. So you aren’t losing because you are eating too many carbs. The big clue is that if you were eating the correct amount you would be in ketosis

(Chris) #9

Sugary alcohol will do this, yes. If you go over your carbs.

However, non-sugary alcohol will not. BUT, it will stop fat burning until the alcohol is processed by your liver, as it takes the priority, as a legit poison. It’s an important distinction.

Thank you for all your help. It looks like I’ve been getting it badly wrong. Having used the calculator I can see I’m eating nowhere near enough fat , too much carbs and I’m afraid the wine is going to have to go!

(Scott) #11

I have red wine with my meal and it is about 4g per glass. White has more sugar content so it is probably higher.