Need non-dairy fat sources

Oh, I learned something new today! Sounds good for people who like pure fat :wink: I favor the meatier stuff. But when Mom slow-cooked pork fat and covered it with paprika (that is the Hungarian way), that was good, even I ate it! (Mom liked ate raw smoked pork fat like so many Hungarians.) Somehow it’s nicer when cooked and tender… And spices help too.

(I still buy the kind with a very tiny meat in it. It’s the only almost pure fat item that isn’t dairy and I easily and happily eat it in more than very minimal amounts. It’s so easy to eat and a few bites go a long way regarding fat consumption.)

(Harriet) #23

Oh, if you’re a coconut junkie I think you’re going to really like coconut manna (I even had a cat that loved the stuff). To describe it, I would say it’s kinda like coconut peanut butter. I use it primarily to make fat bread but just nibbling on a spoonful is very nice.

So sorry I haven’t replied to these sooner - for some reason I’m not getting email notifications when someone adds a post to my thread anymore! I love all the suggestions and have now ordered many products/ingredients to add to my arsenal.

I THINK I figured out why I was so hungry all the time (even though I have never been hungry on keto before): my doc had me try Rosuvastatin (for high cholesterol) and I really think it messed with my blood sugar levels. I stopped taking it after 3 weeks and the hunger is gone. Coincidence? I think not. I have been fighting the doc about taking any cholesterol meds for years and FINALLY conceded to a very low dose. I’m back to “thanks, but no thanks”.
Sue

(Geoffrey) #25

Best thing you could have done in my opinion. I was on that same statin but after I learned the truth about statins and cholesterol I dropped them immediately.

(Allie) #26

Best way.

Well crap… I may have been wrong about the statin med messing with my blood sugar levels. For the past 3 days my fasting BG is high again. The only thing that has changed is that I began 16/8 fasting 3 days ago. Could there be a corelation?

Normally, when a person is fasting, their blood glucose levels decrease. I’m not sure what is going on here. The simple answer is that your pancreas is not making enough insulin or the body is not using insulin effectively, and thus the increased levels of glucose stay in the bloodstream. This is T2D.
I would suggest you do IF 2-3 times per week only and shift your eating start time. i.e., eat your first meal within 30 minutes of waking up. Newer research has shown this approach for IF to be better. I have not seen the research yet, but I was told about it by a medical doctor(wife). The majority of her patients are female.

I have a physical with my primary next week… what tests should I ask for? Is there one to check for pancreas function/insulin sensitivity or is that the standard fasting BG test?
Sue

(Harriet) #30

I’ll hook you up with a link to the HUNT II study if you’re curious. Women don’t need to worry about cholesterol. Women really need cholesterol. Statins are very, very bad for the vast majority of women. “Normal” or (God help us), low cholesterol is dangerous for women, as in, lethal.

Yes, I agree, and we need to look at ALL the numbers (HDL, LDL, triglycerides, ratio, etc.) to evaluate our health. I have been saying “NO!” to my GP for the past 4 years but since the cholesterol number climbs every year, I finally said “OK, I’ll try one IF you prescribe the lowest dose and I will only take it every other day.” So I did, for 3 weeks, and didn’t like it. I’m sure at the next physical she will tell me to try a different one. I understand that I have to “fail” two different statins before they will prescribe the other drug that helps with cholesterol that is NOT a statin.
Sue
P.S. Received my first jar of coconut manna today, can’t wait to start looking at recipes!

(Allie) #32

https://amzn.eu/d/d3DFEeH

well worth a read before messing about with any drugs

Thanks, definitely will find this book!
Sue

(Bob M) #34

HbA1c, fasting insulin, fasting blood sugar, LP-IR if you can get it (Labcorp only, need an NMR LipoProfile), c-peptide. With fasting insulin/blood sugar, you can calculate a HOMA-IR.

Note about LP-IR score. Mine is bad mainly because of my HDL, and my HDL has been like this…forever. There’s no way for me to change it.

I think this is some type of genetic anomaly. If you don’t have this, you might get a better result.