Need ideas please

Hi all,
I am a 47 year old female. About 3 years post gastric sleeve. Strict keto since 1/1/19. I am losing but it’s very slow and I’m frustrated. I have an iced coffee in the morning with HWC and Primal Fuel collagen powder. Just diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hip with a bone spur so trying to rebuild cartilage. I eat lunch between 11:30 and 12:30 and that has lately been cheeseburger, 1 sausage, & hot dog with mustard. No snacking. Dinner between 5-7 is meat to satiety with blue cheese dressing or sometimes taco meat with cheese & SC. I’m not eating anything low fat but not adding fat for the sake of adding fat either. Bedtime usually 8-9 on a work night. I’m enjoying carnivore but not strictly carnivore. I eat salad 1-2x per week and eat zucchini and mushrooms mostly for side veg. I find I can’t eat enough on OMAD because of the size of my stomach, so I don’t feel like that’s an option. I’m taking Citrical, Magnesium (glycinate and the other one) a multi occasionally. I tend to pee neon yellow if I take them all everyday so I think I’m getting enough of B vitamin in my food. I wonder if I need more fat? I’m generally not hungry between meals but am hungry in the morning but coffee holds me to lunch. Thoughts? Thank you

(Ethan) #2

Sounds fine. You probably don’t need the vitamin anyway. The neon urine is from excess water-solvable vitamins—probable vitamin c.

(hottie turned hag) #3

Sounds like you’re doing everything correctly.
Do you have much actual weight/fat to lose?
I’m losing v slowly the closer I get to goal weight; this is common from what I’ve learned on here.

(Edith) #4

Plus, you’re a peri menopausal woman. Welcome to slow weight loss. If you are still losing, even if it’s slow, that’s great!

I’m 5’1” and currently weight 224 approximately so yes, still plenty to lose. I worry sometimes that my coffee needs to go so that I can IF longer or that I’m eating too much fat or not enough fat. Maybe I just need to be patient. I plan to test my glucose response to the coffee this week while on vacation. If I don’t have much change I will keep it but if it’s spiking my glucose that will be evidence to give it up.

(hottie turned hag) #6

Hm…3 yr post-sx what is yout total loss?
May be something endocrinologic afoot here.
What does your doc say?

(Marianne) #7

Try drinking just black coffee (if you can) in the morning (no protein powder) and eating two meals per day with no snacks. I’d make sure you are getting enough fat. Our local BJs (similar to Sam’s and Costco) has 74% hamburger. We’ll make cheeseburgers out of that and top with bacon bits and blue cheese dressing. It is really delicious. Eat fatty cuts of meat (we love pork steak - I love to cut the bit pieces of fat off and fry those up separately until they are somewhat crispy), and have lots of butter and salt with the veggies you do eat. Good luck.

Total is about 78 lbs. I was at 92 but gained about 40 back and now have lost about 28 of that. Even at -92 I was still over 200. My goals are to get get back to -85, then -92, then under 200. Then I will set new mini-goals.

(hottie turned hag) #9

Just brainstorming here…because your initial post cites all correct methods.
Plus the sx…then regain…makes me think asking your doc for an endo panel is a good idea. Can’t hurt anyhow.

I asked to test hormones because I do take a progesterone for endometriosis and she said she could order the test but wouldn’t know what to do with the results. :roll_eyes::confused:

(Carl Keller) #11

I remember Dr. Ken Berry saying HWC makes him stall. Consider cutting out it for a week.

I agree with the others that it seems like you are doing everything fine. If you are not having hunger issues then I would say the amount of fat you are eating doesn’t need to be increased.

From your profile I see you have lost about 5 pounds a month over the past 4.5 months which is 30+ over the course of a year. So take comfort in the fact that you are losing it faster than you probably gained it. Slow and steady is better than not losing. :slight_smile:

Also, it’s possible to lose fat without the scale moving much. Maybe your clothes are looser?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

Me too, and I haven’t had any GI surgery. OMAD is probably not for you with the sleeve. I would stay with TMAD. Try to eat those two meals between a 4-6 hour window if you can.

It might be a good idea to have black coffee if keeping the fasting window clean is a priority. If you can’t drink it black maybe green tea during your fasting hours and coffee with cream during mealtime. Having a fatty coffee essentially ends your fast. :cowboy_hat_face:

A small window between dinner and bedtime can be an issue for some people. Ideally, you want something closer to four hours. The closer you can push dinner to 5pm, the better.

This, for sure. I’m still not clear how much weight you’ve lost since starting low carb in January. Is that the 28 lbs.? If so, that’s excellent progress. Low carb isn’t some crazy miracle diet, despite what the interwebs wants to tell you. You will probably lose 1–2 lbs./week. It’s not much faster than other diets. The benefits are that it’s way easier, because you’re not hungry, and you’re more likely to just be losing fat rather than lean body mass, as well.