Need Hot Drink Ideas

(Dwayne Macek) #1

I’m on month 9 of Keto and month 6 of IF. I eat once a day and have wrecked my metabolism. Every bite of food seems to add weight. Starting weight 235 lb, current 145 lb.

I have allowed too many sweeteners to sneak in to my daily routine and I’m certain I’m no longer in ketosis. My artificial sweetener intake has gone through the roof with the cold weather. I work in an office kept uncomfortably cold and I’ve come to depend on hot tea to make it bearable. I estimate 20-30 packs of sucralose daily. Layering does not help since I don’t seem to generate heat to retain. The only thing that works is hot drinks.

Anyone have ideas for hot beverages during my fasting hours? Something other than bone broth?

I was trying simple bouillon cubes but they contain sugar. I can’t handle plain hot water or salt water.

I’m trying hot water with a generous amount of hot sauce and it’s bearable but contains a lot of salt. I have no idea if this will trigger an insulin response. If so, I’m just as good drinking the sweeteners.

Please share any resources or ideas for hot drinks.

(Erin Macfarland ) #2

If you can get one of those small portable handheld milk frothers (they cost maybe $5) you can take some hot water and add salt, pepper and a little butter, and blend it up. It’s delicious and really satisfying an the small amount of fat won’t affect your fast. Plus it won’t give you garlic breath like you’d get from bullion or broth! You can sprinkle in some cayanne or turmeric if you like too :blush:

(Joan) #3

Costco has some tea, it’s a Good Earth tea Sweet & Spicy I think it’s called. Claims to not have any sugar although the ingredients do say natural flavors, but it doesn’t do anything to my BG level and I haven’t noticed any adverse effects. It tastes wonderful all on it’s own hot or cold.

(Jo O) #4

How about putting a space heater under your desk?
Fingerless mittens or gloves?

Can you make some of your drinks fatty instead of sweet?
Maybe alternate between a sweet and plain or sweet and savory. That cuts your consumption in half.

Might want to think about why you need so much sweetener in your drinks. (I had to do this: bored?, reward “I deserve this”?, etc.)

I sometimes use smoked salt instead of regular salt.

During fasting, I drink hot salt water, frothed matcha with spices, tons of espresso, and roobios teas.

(Dwayne Macek) #6

I really don’t need much sweetener. My problem is the amount of hot drinks I need to stay warm. I only use a 1-1/2 pack of sweetener per cup of tea but need at least two cups per hour. I’m fine without sweet drinks and actually prefer bouillon but it has sugar.

If I hadn’t wrecked my metabolism, I probably would’t be so cold in the first place. How Stupid.

If I add fat, I’m not fasting. It’s a vicious circle.

(Dwayne Macek) #7

Looks promising. Thank You.

I drink tea and coffee without sweetener. It doesn’t take too long to train yourself to like it that way, if you just start reducing it a little at a time. I also sip on fresh ginger tea all day.

Every day I also do the Dr Axe Detox drink which is apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and cayenne pepper.

(Jo O) #9

Can you switch to a different sweetener?
I thought sucralose triggers insulin.

Hot sauce like Franks shouldn’t affect your insulin levels. It probably triggers your endorphins.
Salt will not trigger insulin.

I use a rice heating bag on my shoulders (I look like a linebacker). Heat it in the microwave.

Herb chai teas usually don’t have sugar. Bengal spice by Celestial seasonings is also naturally sweet without sugars.

Good luck. Hope your metabolism returns to normal.

First, congrats on the amazing weight loss! You said several times that your metabolism is wrecked. Have you had your thyroid function checked?

I like the taste of Better Than Bouillon, which contains 2g carb per tsp. I use half a serving and don’t drink enough for it to effect my BG, ketone level, or weight loss (all measured daily). But there are bouillon products that don’t contain sugar. I’m sure there are others, but here’s one:

(Dwayne Macek) #12

I have monthly blood work and all levels are terrific. Thyroid function is part of the test.

My problem was self inflicted by caloric restriction. I simply got carried away and focused too much on the scale. I hadn’t finished all the podcasts before I did the damage and later learned what I was doing wrong.

I’m not willing to sacrifice weight so I’m attempting to slowly restore the metabolism. The body temp is making it difficult. I became accustomed to simply skipping meals if I needed to loose a few pounds.

Thanks for the inpute!

(Dwayne Macek) #13

Never heard of this drink. That just might be good hot!

I wonder how many I can have each day. I need a lot to keep warm.

Thank You CSue!

(Brandi ) #14

I love bulletproof chai tea. It’s yummy and will help keep warm.