NBC Today dietitian and "Tastemaker" would never recommend a ketogenic diet

(Richard Morris) #1

The ketogenic diet is a very restrictive plan that most people can’t stick with and shouldn’t try for weight loss, the nutritionists said. People with heart disease or diabetes should especially stay away, Taub-Dix warned.

This is the usual Boring keto argument, but they also add that diabetics should stay away because … I dunno, maybe all that ArteryCloggingFat.

They go on to say Keto is extreme, no-one can do it

There is one healthy takeaway, though: In general, reducing carbs and incorporating more healthy fats, like nuts and avocados and certain oils, in your diet — without going to extremes — is a good idea for most of us, both Glassman and Taub-Dix said.

A few weasel words about fat to show they aren’t complete low fat luddites.

“I’m a big believer in having a lot of healthy fat in your diet, and many people skimp too much on healthy fats,” Glassman said.

And finally a word from our sponsors …

“I>f you’re eating a more well-balanced diet — eating carbohydrates that are high in fiber, whole grains, and combining it with fats, you feel good, too,” Taub-Dix noted.

No doubt the next segment is brought to you by Grapenuts cereal or Smuckers.

(eat more) #2

ooh i’m super special if no one can do it and i can!!
does this mean i have superpowers?! :blush:

(Jo Lo) #3

In another thread we learned from their own web pages that Bonnie consults for food companies, and Keri is against eating meat. Poor choices to teach us anything about keto.

Thank you for reminding me why I do not watch the brainless NBC Today news program.

Nailed it.

I’ll put my wager with the venture capitalists, thank you.

(Fran) #6

As long as the masses are getting this erroneous information with no scientific backing, keto will never get the respect it deserves as a viable, life-changing way of life. It’s so sad that most people won’t do their own research to verify it. I know some people like that. It makes me want to shake them and say, “if that’s true, then why does it work for me?”

(Tim) #7

My wife turns it on in the morning and I get so angry when they start doling out nutrition advice. Along with many here I assume, I’ve lost too many family members following the advice they parrot. At what point do people start paying attention and demanding something more in line with reality?

(Dustin Cade) #8

after @chandra-lah and I had been on keto for a few months, she spoke with a dietitian at her work (she’s an RN) on her opinion of the Ketogenic diet… her response was “it’s hard to maintain so I would not recommend” this seems to be the main takeaway, that one can’t maintain or stick to a carb restricted diet for long periods of time… i’m 3 days shy of 8 months full Keto…

(Alex Peralta) #9

I’d never really paid much attention to how much the recommended diet is pushed until reading into keto on my own. Now I see it all the time and feel like throwing a slab of bacon at them. I don’t, i eat it instead.

(Tim) #10

It’s advice coming from a place of ignorance and fear. As more and more people come forward with their stories, acceptance will grow.

Unfortunately, the opposing forces in place – in the forms of corporate special interests, government policies, and just plain indoctrinated fear of fat – are so strong that the critical mass needed to get people to listen and potentially change their minds is much higher than it should be.

(Arlene) #11

I’m with you. My husband has to listen to the news these days with earphones so I don’t have to hear it. There is so much garbage, and so little worth hearing about. The media; radio, TV, newspapers exist today to further the agendas of their affluent sponsors. As always, follow the money.

(Sheri Knauer) #12

I would venture to say that maybe some of the big food and oil companies are getting nervous about the increasing interest in the ketogenic diet so they may be approaching the network news programs to have segments like this to try and slow down or even reverse the interest in keto to save themselves. Oh, and lets not forget about pharma too if people are eating keto and decreasing the amounts of medicine they had to take due to metabolic issues from eating crappy carbage. I think I will go now and severely restrict myself with some bacon…

(Dustin Cade) #13

i would think they would first try and throw products into the market to capitalize on the new found market… there is such a limited supply of options… they are growing, just slowly as they are cost prohibitive to most… when the big companies start throwing keto offerings into the ring is when you know they’ve noticed and think there might be a problem, they can sell less and make more…

(eat more) #14

but there’s already bacon, beef, nuts, cream, avocados, and cheese :smiley:

not really a lot of processed/factory stuff that fits with keto…i mean the best they could do would be to make “convenience packs” and jack up the price slapping a keto label on it? like the salami/cheese roll ups are keto…just no “keto” label.
there’s already a lot of “low carb” and “sugar free” stuff…i don’t think there is a lot to be done for the big companies…

(Dustin Cade) #15

I’m talking about things like Mikey’s Muffins, pre packaged dinners, those of us “early adopters” are ok with cooking and everything that goes with keto… though there is going to be a large part of the market who will not want to do the prep work or learn to cook keto stuff like zorn waffles, those who can burn water… so there will need to be convenience items to entice those who do not like cooking, or are not able, willing, or even know how to cook…

(eat more) #16

i think i must be a purist or a jerk…or a purist jerk :joy:
i think you have to be willing and do the work to learn the fundamentals (and know for sure what you are eating) for it to be sustainable…otherwise it’s just nutrisystem or lean cuisine.
and then ppl would say that they’re eating keto (and “it doesn’t work!”) just because it says keto on the label (like all of the ppl that are “gluten free” but not any healthier) LOL

(Dustin Cade) #17

i do not disagree with you, though you know that companies will find a way to fill the shelves, people will buy… with more jerky companies and companies like Quest… there will be more…

(Adam Kirby) #18

Here’s the money paragraph on her website.

(Fran) #19

That’s part of the problem, though. So many people aren’t willing to do the work. The are people who would rather be sick and eat junk and take a pill than change their lifestyle. Those people don’t want to work to get better and that’s why they’re sick to begin with.

I don’t think keto is unsustainable. I think getting started and forming the habits necessary to sustain it takes some effort, though.

(eat more) #20

i hold no sympathy for ppl unwilling to do the work…unable and uninformed are way diff than unwilling…regarding anything :blush:

keto is completely sustainable…for me…
i meant eating tons of prepackaged stuff just because it’s labeled/marketed as keto isn’t sustainable…no foundation…