Nausea

(Randy) #1

I have been eating keto for 3-4 weeks now. I lost about 15 lbs and I was doing well, with minimal side effects. This week in general I have been getting nausea after eating some meals. I feel a bit lethargic and weak. I have been making sure to replace my electrolytes. Any idea what this could be?

Nausea and lethargy are two different things. Are you saying you get both sensations at the same time? Nausea is the feeling of being revolted at the thought of putting food in your mouth, or even as far as wanting to vomit. Lethargy is overall feeling of being tired and dragging your feet. You feel both at the same time?

Can you describe what your typical day of meals and snacks look like? This will help us diagnose what in your regimen may be doing to you.

(Arlene) #3

Fiorella, I have this nausea problem when I fast. I also get ringing in the ears. Muscle cramps are an ongoing problem, for which I barely keep under control with a pinch of salt on my tongue throughout the day. I’ve been keto since January, 2017

Interesting. Does the nausea, ear ringing and cramps disappear upon refeeding?

(Arlene) #5

The nausea goes away upon refeeding, though it takes a few hours. The ear ringing comes and goes, but since I often eat 1 meal/day, I wonder if that is a factor there. The cramps are ever-looming. Wish I could figure that out.

Have you been trying the “feast” and “fast” that Carl (and Megan Ramos) discussed. As in when you are on you feast day, that you really feast during your meal. Do not hold back protein or fat…eat lots.

(Arlene) #7

Great question. I do struggle with that. After fasting 52 hours a few days ago, I made myself 4 eggs and 2 pieces of bacon. I had to force myself to finish this, which I don’t usually like to do but I felt I needed the nutrition and fat. I was full half way through the meal. I was not hungry again for the entire next day. HOW do you feast when your appetite says you’re full?

Perhaps repeat that exact meal timing, but with some other food, like ribeye with hollandaise. Or chicken wings with blue cheese and sour cream sauce. Or something else. Test to see if you actually are induced to eat more of one type of protein over the other. I know for me, I would eat a lot more pork chop than I would calamari, I love both. But, if I eat them to satiety, I would eat more pork. This doesn’t mean I avoid calamari…in fact, when I crave seafood, which is not uncommon, calamari is one of my favourites. But, I eat significantly less than I would if I had a plate of pork chops. I can’t imagine “feasting” on calamari, but I can easily imagine “feasting” on pork chop. I also can’t imagine “feasting” on eggs and bacon. I love bacon, but I think it’s salty component helps to reach satiety signal much quicker.

(Arlene) #9

Very interesting. I will definitely try this. Last week I finished an entire package of chicken wings as my meal. One question, I am no where near my ideal weight so do I need to load up on extra fatty sauces during feasting, assuming the meat choice has plenty attached to it?

Have fatty sauce on the ready to eat with your “feast”. It doesn’t have to be fancy…can be as simple as melted butter with a sprinkle of garlic powder and herbs. Don’t force eat it, but have it available to dip your feasting food in it, like chicken wings, pork chop, steak, lamb…etc. It’s interesting that you were able to eat an entire package of wings. Volumetric-wise, you ate more of that than the eggs and bacon.

Also, watch the amount of salt in the food when you prepare it. It triggers satiety much faster for some people. So, for example, if you make a melted butter sauce, make it with unsalted butter, and add the salt yourself, with other flavourings like garlic, lemon juice, spices, etc. it will be more palatable and you will easily get your fats up. This is something that happens to me…salt makes satiety come quicker.

(Arlene) #11

Thanks Fiorella, I will try this. I make my own butter, which is never salted so we’re good there.

(Vicky Jane Ockwell) #12

You don’t eat if you’re not hungry. My husband and mum-in-law are loving Keto. They find they are not hungry at all for a day or two and simply eat when their stomach clearly tells them so. They tell me it’s obvious to them when stomach is empty compared to hungry. They recognise when their body is empty and eating stored fat so they certainly don’t need to put anymore in :slight_smile:
I am yet to experience this myself.

(Richard Hanson) #13

Good Morning Randy,

When I was at about three weeks I had this exact text conversation with my supervisor:

• Richard: I am sick this morning. Going back to bed. Sorry
  • Celia: Ok take care
  • Richard. This damned diet. I feel sick every morning but today it is very bad.
  • Celia: Hope it gets better soon
  • Richard: I am never getting pregnant Lol
  • Celia: Lol

Since then, at least two are three times a week, Celia reminds everyone that I am a wimp and that I am never getting pregnant.

This too shall pass.

Keto for Life!

Best Regards,
Richard