Nausea post runs

(LeeAnn Brooks) #1

This nausea I’m having is definately coinciding with my runs.

Today a did 6 miles. Admittedly it wasn’t at the nice, easy pace I wanted. I tagged along with my sister who’s a marathon runner, to a trail I’ve never been to before. So being afraid of getting lost for days, I tried to keep up with her. My HR was really high, averaging 168.

I ran completely fasted. When done I drank my water slowly, thinking the nausea after past runs was from chugging it too fast.

Afterwards we ended up at her favorite dinning spot, Panara. Yeah, not so good a place literally named “bread” for a Keto person. But it didn’t matter because I wasn’t really up to eating anyway. I just sipped on tea while my sis loaded up on carbs. I wasn’t fealing nausea then, just didn’t feel like eating. But about an hour latter it hit me. I’m only having these episodes on my run days. I can cross train and not experience this.
Could it be dehydration, or rather the reaction of becoming very dehydrated and then rehydrated a short time latter?
Should I try to eat something or will staying fasted be best? And what would you even eat for nausea on Keto? Saltine crackers aren’t exactly an option.

(Ron) #2

LeeAnn,
I’m going on 5 months Keto and it has only been the last 2 or 3 weeks that the nausea has subsided. Finally it is pretty much gone except an occasional hour or so that it re-appeared last weekend on my mountain hike. But even then it wasn’t nearly as bad as the first 3 months and ended pretty quickly after resting.
Like you I tried everything I could think of and nothing but patience worked. :confused:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

Well, I went and had more salt last night and that cleared it right up, so it must still be my electrolytes.
I thought I had finally gotten that all worked out, but upping my running seams to be working havoc on my balances. I have a plan to take sodium tablets right after my runs and see what happens.

(Edith) #4

I was nauseous after I finished my half marathon. My heart rate was a fair bit higher during the race than when I workout. It was also warmer than usual so I sweat a ton. I think I did get dehydrated because I felt like it took me all day and part of the next to get my fluid levels back to normal. Maybe my other electrolytes as well.

Do you have salt before your runs? If not, take 1/2 teaspoon salt or drink some bouillon before your run. That should help.

Also, in the warmer weather, if you bring water on your longer runs, maybe have some keto-ade? I’m going to try that for my long runs during the summer. I didn’t need it during the winter.

Also, as a fat burner, you don’t have to eat after a workout. In fact, not eating afterwards helps one get into a deeper state of ketosis. Just eat when your body tells you to eat.

Let us know if you figure out what works.

Salt for sure. I can’t find where I read it, but one suggestion was that on keto your body carries a lower blood plasma volume. Their recommendation was to take a cup of very salty broth 2hrs before exercise, and then drink water. I have much better luck with nausea when I remember to do that.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #6

I had ZipFizz with added salt about an hour before the run. I thought that would be sufficient.
I think the harder pace as I tried to keep up with my sister dehydrated me more.

I am noticing I need to carry water on runs with me more now. I never used to unless I was doing a longer distance, but my mouth is getting so dry, even on 3 mile runs. I think I’ll also start taking sodium tablets just in case.

(GINA ) #7

I’m sorry, this sounds awful.

Maybe a few nuts or a hunk of cheese after you run and before the nausea? Or a small smoothie with more electrolytes? Pickles?

(Diane) #8

I’m not a runner, but the recent Keto Woman podcast with Brenda Zorn and Liz Myers had some (possibly) useful information. When they rode their motorcycles to KetoFest last year, I believe it was her first long distance ride and it was very physically taxing. Brenda was experiencing some symptoms one night and ended up tripling her magnesium intake before they subsided. This happened even though she had already increased her electrolyte intake, she still needed even more.

Just something to keep in mind.