N equals many crowd study

(Bob Weiman) #1

Didn’t see this mentioned here on the forum so I figured that I’d bring it up in case folks haven’t seen it elsewhere. Shawn Baker is trying to get an N Equals Many style study of carnivory started. We have lots of N=1 data, if we standardize data collection then we can pool the N=1 data into a scientifically meaningful study. Similar to Dave’s Cholesterol experiments (which he gives a shout out to.)

The intro/overview/idea video is here: https://youtu.be/5k7weki_CNw

(Joan Hulvey) #2

I signed up. Why not? He’s an orthopedic surgeon (and a body builder record holder) who has found improvements in joint health in himself and patients. A nice interview with him is at:

I signed up too.

(Chris) #4

Think they’d decline someone eating ZC but also fasting 3-5 days a week? Or is that too far off the control?

Can’t hurt to ask.

(Chris) #6

Okay, I asked. Shawn responed: No, not disqualifying.

That’s good to know. I’ve got to give this some serious thought because if I do pull the trigger I think I’d want to be off coffee completely. That’s the last thing I feel like is a real struggle here. I have no sizeable issues with not eating food for days on end, no issues with eating raw beef or beef every day. But damn, ripping the coffee out of my hands is rough. He did say in a video that coffee won’t DQ you either, but it must be noted and may not really be as effective as following meat and water.

I understand your misgivings. I drink a couple large cups of green tea everyday and almost daily have a small Americano. I still signed up.

(Charndra Pile) #8

I too have signed up. I really enjoy participating in studies, have been in several different types.
I’m stocking up on mince and doing some price checking as I also want to track good bargains.
Kicking the plonk will be my bane, enjoying a spot of this or that at stressful times!
I’m looking forward to having this motivation. I did ZC strictly in January, and enjoyed it, learning a lot. I began experimenting with ZC in November.
Animal products is my default food, quite happily.
Lately am slipping due to, of course, stressful times.
I will be eating only two meals a day, varying them, on the weekend I eat breakfast with my husband, and then dinner. In the week, IF a minimum of 13 hours, preferably 16, or 18.
I also plan to continue my feasting and fasting cycling.
I’m looking forward to it.

(Chris) #9

I feel less bad when I slip using ice cream, at least it’s somewhat animal-based ::shame::

Did you guys see the official start date was announced? August 15th baby! They’re currently testing a tracking site (and mobile site) for use during the testing period, looks pretty comprehensive.

Dr. Baker also mentioned they’re planning to add a forum to the nequalsmany site, I personally can’t wait. I love this forum from the bottom of my heart but I’d also really welcome one totally focused on ZC.

(Charndra Pile) #10

I’m pretty excited too. Haven’t seen the app yet.
I eat mushrooms on my weekend breakfast and justify that by thinking they’re not in the plant kingdom, and are closer to the animal kingdom. I love to use them to soak up the fat that comes out of my bacon when I cook it!
I’m on several zc groups, but frankly find several rather intolerant of difference. To the point where I won’t ask a question!
Looking forward to the simplicity…

Editing to add, I DO post on the “Principia” groups, that understand fasting. I like those ones best.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #11

Yes, I have joined as well!

I will still do my decaf coffee as I would have trouble at home as the Keurig cups are automatically delivered each month and the boss would have lengthy words about my collecting a 3 month supply!

As far as a forum I will suggest to Shawn to use this forum as it is a great platform and fits very well with the goals of nequalsmany.com

(Chris) #12

Forum’s already up. It’s WordPress.

(Barri) #13

I’m signed up as well. I am seriously going to TRY to kick the coffee habit, but that is my only real concern. I did a “Meativore May” challenge, and was pleasantly surprised by the results. I was also UNpleasantly surprised at the results when I added veggies back into my diet at the beginning of June. :rofl:

(Chris) #14

It started today, is everyone tracking? I haven’t had any coffee but I’m groggy at work…if I can make it 3 more hours I will feel like I’ve beaten the addiction. Not eating til Friday, so I’m using this week to get used to the app.

I’m not sure people realize that a pure carnivorous, high protein diet is not Ketogenic?

other than dr. baker of course.

(Chris) #16

Which people?

the ZC crowd in a Ketogenic (not low carb) forum.

(Chris W) #18

Pure Carnivore diet does not have to be high protein, there are plenty of animal based fats to include. I find that for me there is a upper protein limit for maintaining continuous ketosis, if that is one of my goals. That said, most of the ZC/Carnivore groups and the Nequalsmany study do not require or emphasize continuous ketosis.

yes i suppose you could do ZC/carnivore on duck fat and lard, but that doesn’t seem to be the norm. it seems synonymous with the “rib eye steak and ground beef diet”.

I’m sure its great for some, especially for people that are 'allergic" to most every type of plant material, but you will likely not be experiencing the benefits of ketosis and may not see much benefit at all if you are very IR.

Luckily i am not in a position to have to choose between ZC and ketogenic.

(Chris) #20

I’m not really chasing down anything specific with it. I’m at my goal weight (not fat level), and I only eat 2-3 days out the week. Figured the study would give me something to do, I imagine due to the fasting I’ll remain in ketosis most of the time anyway and dip out for meals. That’s my theory at least, we’ll see at the end.