N=1 Why am I stalled/gaining on Keto

(melinda) #1

Hello all,

I previously posted about my consideration of weight loss surgery, and my husband asked me to please try other things first. So, I am going to document my attempt to get to the bottom of why I’ve been stalled or gained since January and also the cost of testing these things. Weight loss surgery would run me about $5,000.

My lowest recorded weight was 203 in early January 2017, but I hadn’t lost significant weight since October 2016. My weight this morning (June 27 2017) was 213. My starting weight July 2016 was 241.

I have already had my thyroid tested through requestatest.com and the results came back good. (Cost $49)

I plan on getting more testing done soon, but I’m waiting until I get another paycheck for that.

I have also just ordered a blood glucose meter so I can check my blood sugar around different foods. I may need some help with this as I’ve never used one or tested blood sugar before!

Meter, lancets, test strips, & alcohol wipes: Cost: $36.32

Total Cost so Far: $85.32

(jilliangordona) #2

Just sending good vibes your way! I also have not lost much weight in keto, although I am not too far from a “healthy weight” (whatever that means). I understand what you are feeling and hoping you can get to the bottom of this :heart:

(Deb) #3

Check out some of my replies to similar posts…I had to lower fat and protein intake and now lose daily. If you eat too much fat, your body has no need to use what is on your hips! Protein raises insulin. Forget the meter.

I don’t know if someone suggested this on another thread or I just imagined it because I was thinking it: as long as WLS costs that much, is it worth paying someone first (probably a fraction of $5000) to guide you in keto? I don’t remember for sure but doesn’t IDM have a new person (Dr Nadia?) who coaches folks who are not in Canada?
If you do end up doing the WLS it might feel good to know that you’ve 1) given it your absolute best shot without it; and 2) that you’ve gotten guidance that may well help you after the surgery anyway.

(Kathy L) #5

Melinda, how long have you been keto? Have you considered (or tried) fasting? I had been stalled for over a year, just keeping calm & ketoing on - 40 lbs down in my journey of 100. The scale did not budge until I tried fasting. Now I am down 10 pounds in the last two months!

(melinda) #6

I have been keto for a year. I have never been adapted so fasting is very ddifficult.

I did a 2 day fast and gained 2 pounds…

(melinda) #7

$100+ dollars per session to say the same things everyone else says… I’d rather try to figure it out myself and save up for surgery if i need it.

(melinda) #8

I don’t know how accurate that is. The testing has shown that calories don’t matter, insulin does, so fat intake shouldn’t generally matter under normal circumstances.

(Daniel) #9

Im afraid that Deb’s probably on to something. Remember “calories dont matter” doesnt mean binge on fat and drink butter.

(melinda) #10

I don’t do either of those things.

(Daniel) #11

have an MFP journal you can share?

That sounds a lot like one of my fasts where I was holding water the first day. It eventually flushed itself out when I got my electrolytes (sodium-potassium) balanced.

I’m glad you’re going to do the testing. Getting a look at what’s happening on an normal day may give you some insight too.

(Bacon for the Win) #13

Hi @melindotty, IIRC, in your other thread you also said snacking between meals and chocolate were problems for you too. Have you found ways to address this? I apologize if I am confusing you with someone else.

Also, have you taken any measurments other than the scale? You may surprise yourself by watching a measuring tape instead of the scale. I like to tell myself that the scale only gives me a number that represents my relationship with gravity and the earth!

(Deb) #14

Actually, I disagree…for myself, anyways. If I eat too much fat, my body has no reason to use its own stores. And if I eat too much protein, the insulin spike shuts down my fat burning. I’ve tested both theories. It is absolute for me. And there is a formula, I believe, that recommends how much ypur fat intake should be. I wonder if that is a bit too generous.

Yes, it’s a balancing act that’s different for every individual. Sometimes it takes a while to get a handle on satiety signals and bad eating habits that can throw that balance off one way or the other.

(melinda) #16

I don’t really snack between meals so much as eat at night after dinner too much, especially chocolate! Nothing to stop that yet, I’m trying right now to focus on figuring out if/when my blood sugar is spiking.

(melinda) #17

There are many, many confounding factors in my life as there are in anyone’s. Yesterday, I had a panic attack that I feel like spiked my blood sugar a bunch because of how my body felt during/after. I had trauma throughout my life. I’ve suffered from various eating disorders.

My hormones are going crazy right now and have been for awhile - I got a nexplanon at the end of December and ended up with a three month long period followed by a 2 - 3 week long period when that one ended for a few weeks. I have three large cystic zits on my chin right now. I only get a cystic zit during times of hormone changes (namely the week before my period) and I’ve NEVER had this many or ones in the spots they’re in before.

I don’t know what’s going on with me and my body. That’s why I’m looking for real evidence as to what’s going on. Just guessing hasn’t helped me at all.

(jilliangordona) #18

Hi Melinda!

Chiming in here because I am reading Dr. Fung’s book on fasting and it made me think of this thread. He argues that gastric surgery in essentially forced fasting and that fasting offers more benefits.

I know you said in this thread that you found fasting difficult and actually gained weight while fasting. Have you considered trying it again? Maybe starting with a fat fast and then going from there?

Still sending good vibes in hoping you find a solution without surgery :heart:

WLS works not just by reducing the size of the stomach, but by altering number and location the incretin sensors in the gut. This in turn alters the hormone signals to the pancreas, liver , brain etc. and has system wide effects beyond what fasting can do.

That’s not to say I wouldn’t try fasting and/or behavior therapy first.

If you have problems with ‘snacking’ and a history of disordered eating, WLS may not be the solution you’re looking for. I have two relatives who have had WLS and both have had to be vigilant about snacking because they’ve found that they tolerate small amounts easily, and can especially eat sugary sweets without problems. One of them gained 17 lbs last Christmas simply snacking mindlessly on cookies (since lost that weight). So if a person eats more frequently, the ‘effect’ of the WLS can be negated.

My point is that both of them have told me that it’s both easy and tempting to ‘override’ the constrictions of WLS and regain any lost pounds. Both of them are basically ‘dieting’ all the time to maintain those lost pounds.