N=1, Two a day workouts on Keto and IF

(April Harkness) #1

I posted under the Exercise thread but I think this might be a bit better to be accountable and track my progress. I made the crazy decision in April of last year to learn olympic lifting when I turned 42 as a birthday gift to myself. I thought I would learn just enough to incorporate power cleans and power snatches in my training…but I loved it so much, I stuck with it and went on to learn the full snatch and clean and jerks. My coach is now prepping me for my first meet. Before I embarked on oly lifting I also competed in kettlebell sport. I still do with an upcoming competition in May. Currently I do oly in the mornings and kb sport in the evening.

This mornings session working on the hang position in the clean and jerk -https://www.instagram.com/p/Btdi518lZME/

This evening session - building endurance. humbling. Because this is a light weight for me but my kettlebell coach had me do 3 sets of 4 min snatches. My last set, my grip was fried.

Anyways, I hope to update this regularly to keep track of my perfomance while doing keto and IF.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

So THAT’S what you do with a kettle ball! Kidding, but seriously, good for you and good luck at your meet.

Wow - good for you, April!
Love my kbs but can’t imagine a snatch with such a big bell. Very impressive :star_struck:

(April Harkness) #4

It was only 8kgs…but it was 3 sets of 4 min each. I did get a rest of 4 min in between. It humbled me. Plan is to snatch the 16 kg for 5 min straigjt in competion right after jerking double 16kg bells for the biathlon event. I can lift heavy, that is my strong suit. Endurance on the other hand is a whole other matter. Even going light, I get gassed. But I have a few months to do this and do it with keto!

oh, wow - good luck! I can sometimes snatch with my 20lb bell, but I can’t imagine doing 4 minutes, much less 4 minutes x3 :open_mouth:

(April Harkness) #6

workout this morning of 2-5-19 (plus a snippet of yesterday evening that I previously posted above in the last vid) - what is not pictured is most of my oly lifting training from this morning 5 sets of two barbell cleans plus one jerk (kept it light, working on technique. Just 93 lbs) , 3 sets of barbell push presses at 70% of my max, 4 sets x 8 reps of clean grip deadlifts at 75% of my max supersetted with butterfly situps.

Afterwards I did some climbing.my grip was pretty fried since I did kb work the evening before.

(April Harkness) #7

Workout on 2-6-19

olympic weightlifting focused

5 sets of 2 reps of clean and jerks
5 sets of 2 reps of high hang snatches
3 sets of 6 reps of front squats at 70% of my one rep max

5 rounds of lat pulldowns supersetted with oblique dumbell leans.

In the evening my second "workout " was my West Coast Swing 2 Lesson at 8.

(April Harkness) #8

Workout on 2-7-19

jerk dip/jerk pause dip/ jerk step/ jerk 4 sets of 2 reps

power snatches 4 sets of 2 reps

supersetted with 8 reps of snatch pushpresses and 8 sets of GHD situps.

In the evening went to my climbing gym and climbed. Not kettlebells or Dance but definately still a workout.

(April Harkness) #9

2/8/19

Felt really sore but i had climbed the evening before. Not the best decision before my oly lifting session this am.

4 sets of 2reps of my 2 rep max of clean and jerks

4 sets of 2reps of my 2 rep max of snatches

followed by snatch grip deadlifts and out the door!

(April Harkness) #10

2/09 to 2/11

Weekend workouts - A break from two a days (slightly!)

Morning of 2/9 I did my kettlebell sport training and that evening I went swing dancing. I will look at that as active recovery! Although it is a bit of cardio (actually it’s quite a bit of cardio!)

On Sun 2/10 I climbed in the evening.

So no two a days on the weekend.

This morning 2/11 I did hang snatches with front squats , pullups and toe taps.

This evening will be a 2nd workout of kettlebell sport training

(April Harkness) #11

2-12-19

I just did one training session. Oly lifting in the morning. Nothing in the PM as I had a date!

2-13-19
Oly lifting this morning. On the agenda-
Back squats , 3 x3 at 85% of my max
high hang snatch 5 x 1 rep
clean and jerk with a 3 second pause in the liftoff- 4 x 1

Superset- 15 reps of Seated cable row w/ 60 second planks
3 rounds

2nd “workout” this evening will be my West Coast Swing lesson!

(KetoQ) #12

April –

This is a great thread, keep posting, will follow this with interest. Curious to hear your thoughts on recovery, energy levels, strength and muscle gains as well as macros.

When I do extended fasts of 48 to 60 hours, I found that the workouts went better earlier in the fast and when trying to do them later, my strength and energy levels were down.

Good luck,
Q

(April Harkness) #13

2/14/19 - Jerk step drill

triple jerks
.not my best…you can hear my coach in the background critiquing me. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt3RMEglM7H/

3 sets of 5 reps of push press
supersetted with 10 side planks

in the evening I did:

5 min of kettlebell slow jerks - 7.5 sec per position with double 14 kg bells

5 min rest

2 sets of 2 min of 1 arm 16 kg longcycle L arm
then did 2 sets of 2 min of 1 arm 16 kg longcycle for r arm

2 min rest

Followed by 6 min of 8 kg snatch. 3 min on each arm, nonstop. light weight. working on technique.
Rest 6 min.
Did one more set.

Morning of 2-15-19 (oly)

Worked on clean and jerk singles
Worked on snatch singles

Worked up to a 3 rep max ( PR!!)

and ended with reverse hypers.

(April Harkness) #14

Still doing 2 a days… ( at least most days!) just not logging as often.

2/19/19 -

barbell pushpress 3 sets of 4 reps @ 80% max
clean and jerks - 5 sets of 3 cleans and 1 jerk
deadlift 5 sets of 5 at 80% of my max supersetted with mountain climbers. Done. I ended with some “cardio” which was just me climbing

Workout 2, tonight, is my West Coast Swing Dance lesson

(April Harkness) #15

2/20/19

This morning was my oly lifting lesson.

Started off with

3 sets of 4 reps of fronts squats at 80% of my max
5 sets of 3 tall cleans and 1 jerks
4 sets of 2 dip snatches

Then 4 rounds of 10 lat pulldowns superset with 12 seated cable crunches

Tonight, going to a Blues Dance Workshop