MyFitnessPal

(Travis) #1

Hello,
I’ve been usin MyFitnessPal to track calories for years and recently I started attempting a Keto diet. I’m confused by MyFitnessPals math. Today the pie chart says my macro breakdown was 67% fat, 24% protein, and 9% carbs. Below that, it says I consumed 83g of fat, 67g of protein, and 24g of carbs, for a total of 174 grams. 67g is 48% of 174g, not 67%. Can anybody help me understand this? Maybe I should be using a different app to track? Suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Personally, I use Cronometer, and I tell the program what my goals are, rather than the other way around.

(Bacon, Not Stirred) #3

That’d because they aren’t all worth the same caloric value. That seems right to me.

(Khara) #4

Ya, its percentages of total calories and fat has 9 calories per gram whereas protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram.
I use CarbManager and like it pretty well.
I had tried MyFitnessPal but back when I tried it it was very difficult to see and track the carb portion. It was too focused on calories for me.

(Travis) #5

So For Keto I should be aiming to consume a “percent of calories” ratio, not a gram ratio, right?

(Sonia A.) #6

No, your goal should always be in grams. It’s 20g of carbs (net or total depending on how you respond), 1g of protein per kg of lean body mass and fat to satiety.

(Ian Dalton) #7

Wrong ! You can’t purchase or digest percentages & your’s continually change from day to day. I use Myfitnesspal for scanning my purchases’ barcodes using their Australian & US food databases to reveal the macronutrients that I am purchasing. Brilliant at that. I then use Cronometer US database to mimic my purchases in it’s food database to reveal my goals of macro & micro nutriments, vitamins, minerals & lipids.

(Judi Campion) #8

I quite like MFP. Probably because I’ve used it daily for 5 years. I don’t have the premium version either.
I set my percentages based on actual grams. So for me I have 5% C, 15% P and 80% F. I track total carbs as does MFP. You could easily do the simple math if calculating net carbs and make a note in the Food Notes.
I love the recipe section and have several of my Keto recipes in there.
I do aim for the percentages but the actual grams are what count. That info is at the bottom of the diary entries. There are two columns, what you consumed and what your goal is which is based on number of calories and those percentages. My 5% carbs works out to 14g so if I have 6% it’s ok as I’m still under 20g.

(gideon825) #9

In case you couldnt find the right answer, here it is:

“Protein and carbohydrates both contain 4 calories per gram, while fat provides 9 calories per gram.”

I use that, but the values are always higher than the actual food package readings of what I eat