My preferred two chaffles-not-chaffles

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #1

One chaffle I love is just combining an egg, almond flour, greek yogurt, xantham gum and quite a lot of tikka masala powder (the red one), and a bit of water.

Another one, which I discovered yesterday by experimentation, consists of an egg, almond flour, xantham gum, lots of powder cinnamon, and 100% pure chocolate powder (not alcalinized), plus some olive oil and a bit of water. Please note there is no dairy! Also, there is no sweetener. In the past, I had added stevia, but it was not working well. Today, I have just taken a teaspoon, and I was eating stevia (powder) every time I was taking a mouthful of the chaffle-not-chaffle. Much better!

The consistency is really good (I believe it is the xantham gum), and cinnamon (lots of it) gives a real flavour to the chocolate. This recipe has little saturated fat, which is good (or neutral), since it has no dairy.

(bulkbiker) #2

Really? “good” how?

(John) #3

My go-to chaffle recipe is:

• 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp (1/8 cup) grated/shredded cheese

Variations to the above include:

• optionally add 1 tbsp almond flour
  • optionally add 1/2 tsp baking powder

Different choices in cheese seem to have the biggest impact. Mozzarella results in very neutral tasting chaffles. Strongly flavored cheeses, like cheddar, romano, asiago, parmesan allow the cheese flavor to come through. Sometimes, I do want it to taste like a cheese omelet.

Higher moisture-content cheeses tend to make for a softer, fluffier chaffle.

The baking powder makes for a bit of a crispier chaffle and extends size of the batter a little, for when you are trying to get two full chaffles out of a single batch rather than 1.5 (depends on your waffle maker size).

I did try adding cinnamon once. Smelled great, but I didn’t get much of a cinnamon flavor out of the result. Some other interesting options in the OP.

(Lesli Ross) #4

Did you measure out the carbs for the cinnamon chaffle? Cinnamon is actually pretty high in carbs, so I’m curious how much cinnamon you use/

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #5

I never measure amounts. In the end, it will be only a few grams of cinnamon.