My New Rotisserie Chicken Cooker

I’ve visited Germany many times for work, and love the rotisserie chicken that is popular there. There’s even a fast food chain called IIRC Huenchen (means hen I think). Well, my local grocery store has rotisserie chicken and in my opinion it is inedible. I don’t know what they do their chicken but it is awful.

Well, last week at Sam’s I saw they had a table top oven for making rotisserie chicken. Since it also can be used to dehydrate I bought it, for about $125 or so. Of course I bought some chickens as well. The first attempt was a failure. Sam’s chickens are too big for this oven, wish it was a little bigger. So I bought a slightly smaller version from the local grocery and it turned out pretty good.

I cooked the first chicken without any spices, just trying to get the hang of the cooker. The cooker has a “preset” for chicken, which is 40 minutes 370 deg F. I had to cook for 3 such sessions, so I decided it was done at 2 hours. My son and I both were very pleased with the crunchy skin which unlike my oven roast chicken was perfectly crispy all over the chicken.

Today I cooked two Cornish game hens, brushed with salt, pepper, paprika, and butter. I used two 40 minute sessions. Son and I agree it was very good.

It’s a learning curve to install the fork like spit attachments, and to use cooking string to secure the birds. I’m looking forward to trying different recipes, including a small pork roast, may be a rib roast. I’ll try dehydrating some red habaneros I love.

We have a Set-It-And-Forget-It rotisserie oven and its great, never missed on a meal yet. Cooks good sized fryers in about 1:20 and is moist and crispy. It’s probably 10-15 years old and still runs great. I used to dab bbq sauce on them but now just season ‘em good and stick them on the spit.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #3

This is my rotisserie chicken cooker of choice… with my gas grill:

Try doing two full sized roasters in your oven at the same time… Nope. Outside.

That said, you get better skin when you don’t rotisserie, and for that, I like this type device, in the oven or on the grill.
https://spanek.com/roaster/roasters.php

That rotisserie kit looks interesting. Months ago I browsed Amazon for something similar, but didn’t pull the trigger. I prefer charcoal and have a Weber grill. I’ll see how that kit would work with it. If summer ever arrives I’d like to give it a try.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #5

For a kettle, you need something with a ring to life the top and mount the rotisserie on. But the Spanek style toaster works brilliantly on a kettle.