My latest N=1...100mi bike ride

(Brian Peck) #1

OK, here is my latest n=1 experiment with extreme exercise:
Start of day: Wt 177lb, blood ketone 0.7 mmol/dl, Blood glucose 94 mg/dl, urine ketone 15mg/dl, breath ketone 7.9 ppm…started day with 1 scoop of Perfect Keto and one scoop of MCT oil powder.
4 hours into bike ride (46mi): blood ketone 1.0, blood glucose 92, breath ketone 2.0. Took more exogenous ketone/MCT plus 2 F-Bomb, 2oz dark chocolate (86%), and 2 Keto Cookies
End of bike ride (100mi, 7515 calories, 4239’ of climb): Wt 171lb, blood ketone 5.2, blood glucose 68, urine ketone 60, breath ketone 12.5.
1 hour post ride (no food): blood ketone 4.7, blood glucose 87, urine ketone 70, breath ketone 15.3
2 hours post ride (no food): blood ketone 5.7, blood glucose 76, urine ketone 80, breath ketone 11.5.
I then proceeding to eat about 90g of carbs (including berries, chocolate and popcorn) and 170 of protein (t-bone). The following morning my numbers were: Wt 175lb, blood ketone 3.0, blood glucose 99, urine ketone 80, breath ketone 26.5.
Analysis: I started the day off in my normal range on all numbers after an overnight fast. Mid ride, my numbers were still pretty normal, which surprised me a little…I can only assume I was using everything being produced. Post ride, I assume glycogen levels were depleted, so insulin was very low, glucagon was very high, and gluconeogenesis was in full swing leading to a very high production of acetoacetate (due to oxaloacetate shortage.) This drove the high numbers for two hours post ride. The numbers this morning surprised me a little. I thought the higher carb intake would replenish glycogen, but the high acetone indicates to me a high level of ketone production probably still being driven by high acetyl CoA due to ongoing gluconeogenesis to replenish glycogen. I’ve clearly proven that an extreme of exercise can allow me to significantly increase carb intake without kicking me out of ketosis…a great way to satisfy my occasional popcorn craving. Now the question is: am I really craving the popcorn or the grass fed ghee and pink salt I coat it in?