My IF experiment

(shane ) #1

This is going to be more of a journal than a topic.

Going to track some Ketomojo readings here along with my daily cals and macros.

Starting weight 244, Big meal out last night. and I am about 2 pounds heavier than I should be.
Goal weight this week 240

Today is day one for my 16/8 IF.
2660 Cals
Protein 146
Fat 201
Net Carbs 35 Way over on my carbs today.
First Meal was at 6;30
Last meal at 2:30
Work out this morning ride 10 miles on the bike.

(shane ) #2

Ok. Yesterday did not work. Father in law was at the house when I got home last night and he had made salmon and broccoli for me and my wife.

So not only did I not fast, but I was way over on cals as well.

Today will be the new starting day.

Weight 242.8
Goal cals 2660
Total cals 2672
Protein 154
Fat 204
Net Carbs 28 ( 8 over today)
First meal was 7:00 AM
Last meal will be at 3:00 PM
Workout was 5k Run this morning.

Notes: Started using MCT oil again. Using 2 tablespoons yesterday caused some gastro distress. Backing that down to a single tablespoon today.

(shane ) #3

Weight 242.8
Goal Cals 2660
Total Cals 2780
Protein 180
Fat 210
Net Carbs 24
First Meal 6:30
Last Meal 2:00
Work out was Push Day
KetoMojo Test results
Waking .5 MMOL
Night .7MMOL
Notes, today I stop using quest bars. I also plan to do a a Ketone test tonight.
Feelings: Felt good, good energy. Worked on the retaining wall at the house till almost 9 oclock last night and closed the day with around 23K steps. Hunger was fine and this 16/8 fasting is not difficult at all.

(shane ) #4

Weight 241.2
Goal Cals 2660
Total Cals 2724
Protein 166
Fat 206
Net Carbs 24
Last Meal 2:00
Work Out 10 Mile Bike Ride
Keto Mojo
Post Workout 1.1 MMOL
This is the only test I will take today. Ordered more Lancets and Test Strips and they are in route.
Notes: Interesting note that I am higher after workout than I was last night. 22k steps yesterday and more work on the retaining wall.

Watched/Listened to the Rogan and Dom D’ Agostino podcast again. Interesting podcast, and I now have a really good understanding for why someone who is on a Keto diet would want to also supplement with exogenous ketones.

(the cheater) #5

Not sure if you’re looking for feedback or not, but I have a couple observations:

1. It looks like you’re consuming way to many calories - in general and daily. I was 220 and began my keto journey at about 1700 cals/day. The other thing, if you’re trying to lose weight, you gotta stop going over your set goal every day, bother! lol

2. Unless you really love riding your bike for 10 miles, start adding in weight lifting. Your body is used to the bike ride so you’re not getting the same physical benefit that you used to. You can still do it if you love it, but definitely add in weight lifting or HIIT - something that will actually challenge you.

3. You’re probably going over in your protein grams by about a third; think 0.8g per KG of LEAN body weight.

4. It’s not a great idea to weigh yourself every day. It can be demoralizing and doesn’t show enough trending to be useful, usually. Go for once a week at exactly the same time; or once every two weeks, or monthly.

5. Once you’ve been keto for a while, it’s pretty pointless to keep checking ketones. Save your money and your blood :slight_smile: - You know how you feel when you’re doing it right.

Anyway, feel free to ignore these observations/tips if you’re where you want to be; my tips were more geared towards people on a stall wondering why it’s not working better or whatever. Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

(shane ) #6

I appreciate the feedback. I am 6’5 and 242. Goal weight is probably around 220 to 225. I am about 20 percent BF right now. I have been lifting weights for 4 years now.

Keto is new to me. Weights and macros are not. I lift 3 days a week. The only reason I didn’t do legs on Monday and instead I rode the bike is because after loading up for squats my left knee was really bothering me, past injury, so I called it. I started to do lunges but at this point my knee was to far gone to really even do those so I just rode the bike. Riding the bike is actually new to me and this was my second session. I was running 3 days a week but that was to much for my knees. I am an old broken down athlete in that regard. To many years spent jumping off hard surfaces and out of sand.

Cals I don’t want to lower. I am already set to lose a pound and a half a week and any faster and a lot of muscle will go with it.

I am actually slightly under on my protein.

I have been weighing myself daily for years. The scale has never defined me. I am not really trying to lose weight, but body fat. So the scale is a measuring tool, just like my BF calipers and measuring tape.

I appreciate the feedback. I am doing this to really see how IF effects the state of ketosis I am in, as well as my diet does. Prior to this I was eating 15 to 20 percent daily calories on packaged quest bars/cookies etc. Moving away from these items and trying to get most of my carbs via vegetables.

I do appreciate the feedback though. :+1:

(the cheater) #7

Well, sounds like you have it under control; but I calculate your protein at about 70g (240lbs x 80% = 192 lean POUNDS, /2.2 = 87.3Kg, x 0.8 = 69.8), but everyone does it differently. Some people calculate as high as 1.5g/Kg of lean body mass. Again, you’re not here for advice, obviously, but for keto you’re probably a bit high on the protein. I understand your concerns about not wanting to lose muscle mass; the protein calculations with keto are aimed to preserve muscle mass while not consuming so many they get converted to glucose (which defeats the purpose of eating keto). Everyone’s body handles it differently, though, and if you are seeing the results you want, then more power to you. I’m definitely not the most experienced person here.

Sorry to hear about your shot knees. I’m not looking forward to the day where I have to start doing alternate exercises due to pain; even the last two days I’ve tried to do dips but for some reason, even though my chest and shoulders are fine, it’s far too painful in my left palm to support my weight in that manner. I hope that goes away lol!

(shane ) #8

Back in the bb.com days I would eat a gram per body weight minimum, and sometimes a little more. I do get the gluconeogenesis effect of excess protein, which is also admittedly part of my experiment as well. As
I get closer to my goal body weight I will bring this number down to closer to .8 per LBM, but while in a deficit I find it beneficial to keep this number higher.

Dips are the upper body squat and one of the best things you can do for your upper body if you can work through the pain. I did assisted dips up until about a month ago because of a wonky shoulder, and thankfully am now able to knock out BW sets of 8.

(shane ) #9

Weight 239.4 Hit weekly Goal
Goal Cals 2660
Total Cals 2681
Protein 176
Fat 195
Net Carbs 29
Father in law is coming over so dinner will be had tonight. No IF today.
Work Out was Pull Day
KetoMojo Test Result
Waking .8MMOL
Notes: Last night I went to bed lighter than I woke up that morning. That is a first on Keto.
More work on the retaining wall last night. Should be done with this next weekend. 20K steps yesterday.
Workout felt ok this morning.

(shane ) #10

Weight IDK. I woke up late this morning and didn’t weigh or take my ketomojo results.

Notes: IF 16/8 is off for me. Reason being is that the real reason I was wanting to do it was to get into a possible deeper state of ketosis. I don’t think fasting for 16 hours will get me the results I want. If I really want to get into the 2 MMOL and above it will take extended fasting.

So, this experiment is pretty much over.

I might make an accountability log over in that subforum.

@DvlDwnInGA
Shane, I just posted to someone else on here about this: Dom talks about ketone tolerance being very different for different people, so it might be that higher ketone readings don’t mean what we tend to think, especially for active people (athletes clear ketones quickly so apparently rarely get high readings). Check out what he says in Peter Attia’s podcast last week. I’ll come back in to post the timing if I can find it.

ETA: looks like it’s toward end of the second hour, around 1:50

(shane ) #12

Thank you for the reply. The Dom and Peter podcast is great, though it is really technical for the first half. I will go back and listen to it again though.

Cheers.