My friend doctor is worried about Colorectal Cancer due to red meat

cancer

I kind of agree but if a processed food has good ingredients, I won’t have any problem with it (or just for some very different reason) :slight_smile: Good macros obviously don’t make good food but a good ingredient list is very promising.
And my keto stops working (not like it works, per se…) if I overdo my plant carbs, I doubt it matters if that is processed or not, never noticed such things. I do avoid certain ingredients for health-conscious, taste or other reasons.
But my processed items are pretty good and not super processed, surely that matters. And I don’t think I am overly sensitive (except to non-animal net carbs and maybe peanuts to a tiny degree).

But yep, food industry does that and one better sticks to some simpler, saner, better style. I never was rich enough to pay for really fancy paleo stuff (or saw any need of it, I made my own things. I did try most oily seed flours and fibers, I am a curious one) and we have no keto things here (just the very normal instant fruity oatmeal. 20g carbs per tiny package so it’s obviously paleo… sure it is. never saw another “keto” item or forgot. I never was a target. As an ovo-lacto vegetarian, I ate normal food just like always, as a paleoer or ketoer, I already avoided complicated ingredients let alone ready to eat very processed stuff… I have found just making my food from simple ingredients the most convenient and tastiest, not just cheapest. I never ever had a life where I couldn’t cook for myself due to no time, that wouldn’t work for me. but cooking can be done with very little work anyway - if one is okay with simple).

It’s so weird to me. I can’t resist temptation at all and many food can tempt me but those virtually never did. Those were just snacks or (probably not good at all) breads anyway, not normal food. Snacks are super easy to make, way easier to me than buying them.
Maybe the difference is that I took things seriously. If I change my woe, I educate myself a bit, think and change my life. Dropping highly processed food was the first step on low-carb. If something is highly processed, it usually has too much carbs in it anyway but I had other reasons. I can imagine people just tentatively trying something for a while are easier to tempt. Or the stress eaters, maybe that I am not.

Yeah, there are great dangers, we should be alert or just stubborn if we already know what is right.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #62

On Paleo, you should be able to eat as much honey as you can fight the bees for. The way bears do it.

(KM) #63

I think this is the exact same issue on the vegetarian side of the fence. Beyond Meat is also beyond vegetables, when we shouldn’t be going Beyond either.

(Bob M) #64

Good idea…if you happen to know what your family history is. (I don’t.)

@PaulL I agree with you. If you REALLY want to eat Paleo, only eat things in season and locally. If you want maple syrup, tap your own trees (possible do where I live, the neighbor is doing it), boil that down, and get your tiny amount of maple syrup. No almond trees around? Don’t eat them. No medjool dates around? Don’t eat them. No cranberries around? Don’t eat them. Cranberries are around? Go out into the bogs and harvest them, prepare them, eat them. No coconut around? Don’t eat it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #65

Preach it, brother!

(B Creighton) #66

Doctors generally have very little access to nutrition courses in Medical school, and to be blunt their dietary knowledge is generally very limited. My own father was a physician, and bought the saturated fat hype of the 70s and 80s. Fortunately, my mother used mostly olive oil, so I was spared most exposure to “vegetable oils.” Nevertheless, my father drank skim milk, etc… and he got prostate cancer… which I believe is probably associated with SAD dairy. To his credit he did change some things, and has lived to 92 on a Mediterranean diet… although not without a lot of headaches and treatment for his prostate cancer. Other doctors readily admit they were duped and were wrong… including Dr Gundry… who now probably makes more money on his dietary advice than when he was practicing heart surgery. When I delved into the science, it didn’t take me long to realize the awfulness of the SAD. Most practicing doctors are trained merely to put a prescription patch on a problem a patient comes in with, instead of really educating themselves on what to advise to solve the problem. This is why metabolic disease continues to run rampant, and is indeed spreading.

I believe there is some correlational studies that do lend some bad science to red meat and cancer. However, it seems all or the vast majority include all kinds of red meat, including processed meat with nitrite preservatives, etc. I have come to believe that animal foods do play a large role in CVD, but I believe with care taken in preparation, cooking and storage methods, most of the risk of CVD can be avoided. I currently do not have the setup to process my own meats, but the next best thing is to eat meats that were air-chilled and/or vacuum packed, and are either wild or raised in a natural manner. I do eat read meat, and the only potentially alarming thing about it is that it has NEU5GC, which our bodies build antibodies to. It is also known that many cancer tumors seem to cover themselves in this molecule - which may serve to hide them from the bodies’ defenses - indeed that may be why these particular cancers survived and grew in our bodies rather than being killed by our defenses. On the flip side most cats, dogs, and other carnivores eat plenty of red meat without developing cancers beyond a nominal rate. I am essentially in agreement with you. Nevertheless, in an abundance of caution I also eat wild fish, shrimp and crab, as well as air-chilled and packaged chicken and some pork - largely, I simply enjoy the variety. I would say red meat is a minority of my meat diet.

Yep. It is more processed garbage IMHO. Generally, full of inflammatory omega 6 GMO seed oils - I try to avoid processed fats as well as processed carbs. Exchanging either has been amply shown to cause health problems IMHO. Vegetarians are still amply prone to strokes and other aspects of CVD… and many I believe have wrongly substituted seed oils for healthier saturated fats. Beyond meat is more of the same. I have gotten my blood pressure down into the 100s/60s, and seen noticeable improvement in varicose veins in my right leg by avoiding processed foods including mostly processed carbs and fats, and seen first hand the effect hydrogenated fats have on my blood pressure - a 20 point jump in one day. Althougth they are supposed to be illegal, they are still in plenty of US foods. Although GMO seed oils aren’t this bad, I believe them to be a cause of several health issues due to their unnatural refining process and concentration. So, most vege burgers are switching one health risk for anolther possibly worse health risk. No thank you.