My friend doctor is worried about Colorectal Cancer due to red meat

cancer

(Brian) #21

That is interesting!

Although we’ve not been quite as faithful as some, my wife and I have started to supplement with a little iodine since our food intake sources tend to be pretty sporadic. Perhaps it’s a good thing on more levels than I had considered, cancer being one of them.

And though we don’t tend to be big consumers of them, we do find a few resistant starches in our diet from time to time, probably mostly from beans of various kinds. (I’m not counting coffee… LOL!)

Definitely interesting. Thanks for sharing!

If an animal is eating garbage and bioaccumulates carcinogens from their food and/or you eat highly burnt meat… then you’ll most likely develop colon cancer. However animals who exclusively eat fresh vegetation will bioaccumulate antioxidants(carotenes, lutein etc…) in their fat stores and these antioxidants have been shown to cause the apoptosis of cancer cells and prevent atherosclerosis. They prevent disease. Look for meat with yellow fat as an indication of carotene accumulation. ie. grass fed meat.

Search carotene apoptosis cancer
Search carotene atherosclerosis

(It's all about the bacon, baby!) #23

Furthermore, cooking red meat produces a smaller quantity of nitrates (which are supposed to be the cause of cancer) per gram than is contained in most vegetables.

(It's all about the bacon, baby!) #24

Not all of them. Certain of them, in fact, namely the ω-3 fatty acids and the ω-6 fatty acids, are essential to human life, though ω-6 fatty acids cause systemic inflammation when ingested in quantity. Most commercial seed oils contain far more ω-6 fatty acids than we need, which is why we advise avoiding them.

The other issue with oils high in PUFA’s is how the polyunsatruates get oxidized and restructured when heated, and the resulting compounds get into cell walls and cause trouble (the walls of all human cells are made of fatty acids of various types, and a considerable quantity of cholesterol).

Furthermore, since the ω-3 fatty acids and the ω-6 fatty acids compete for the same receptors on cell walls, they need to be ingested in the proper proportion (generally 1:1) in order for us to get the proper amounts of both, whereas the PUFA’s in most commercial seed oils are overwhelmingly ω-6 fatty acids.

The moral of the story: Stick to healthy fats, such as butter/ghee, tallow, lard, and bacon grease, which are mostly monounsaturated fats and saturated fats, with a small percentage of PUFA’s.

Good summarization. I’m going to add that the desaturase enzymes require magnesium, Vitamin A and B6 for the elongation of essential fatty acids. So it’s best to consume PUFA sources which also include magnesium.

I’m someone who needs more PUFA from whole foods than most people. I need sufficient Omega 6’s for increasing my brain size and for producing lots of PGE1(to get an erection and increase penis size).

(Bunny) #26

I imagine those steak & egg only carnivores, besides taking advantage of the carnitine shuttle to reverse a fatty liver get a lot of oxygen from myoglobin if they like their steak extra raw that’s why they burn body fat so well?

Note: meat without its raw juices make it more acidic? (very important note?) Natural salts and glutamine in its natural state?

I wanted repost this because it is so interesting, this is really deep stuff:

Why I drink raw steak juice (grass fed of course; no anti-biotics or hormones):

”…If the buffer removed by critical acid should be ammonia from glutamine we have a situation where the ingestion of raw meat or meat juices would be the only known prompt remedy. The meat itself is acid in reaction, the juices containing the basic salts and most of the glutamine.

This probably explains the fact discovered 60 years ago that dogs fed meats without its juices died much quicker than if fed nothing. They will get acidosis from simple starvation but an aggravated acidosis if fed this kind of meat. In fact they soon stop eating such meat but the harm has been done, they have lost more of their alkaline reserves, and will die sooner than the dogs that received none of the acidic meat.

The general use of meat extracts for convolescent patients arose from these dog experiments but the extracts as commonly furnished have been cooked and super-cooked in autoclaves, so their only value is in more rugged constituents such as potassium salts and creatinine. The real essential principle that could be there is gone, the glutamine?

The University of Wisconsin proved 40 years ago that Hogs required 50 percent more feed if it had been cooked. Since then, no Hog feeder in his senses has been cooking his feed. But we realize that the science of animal feeding is about 40 years in advanced of our practice of human nutrition. …” - Dr. Royal Lee, Conversations in Nutrition - Volume One

References:

1. What’s That Red Juice In Your Steak? (Hint: It Isn’t Blood)
  1. VO2 Max: The Key to Unlocking Your Aerobic Engine: “… Capillary density is the number of capillaries surrounding muscle sites. If we have more capillaries around our working muscles, we are able to increase the oxygen supply available for transport from in the bloodstream to inside the muscle. Myoglobin is the middle man, and is a protein which is responsible for absorbing the oxygen from the capillaries and transporting it to the mitochondria to create aerobic energy . …” …More