My first relapse

(Danial Ficek) #1

I decided not to call it a “cheat” after reading some things written. I did use the word relapse because that is what it feels like. Eleven years ago I quit drinking and using meth. My drug of choice became FOOD. In that time, I put on 98 lbs. On June 29th 2017, I decided enough was enough and went LCHF. At one point, about a month ago I hit my lowest weight in ten years at 232 lbs, a loss of 36 lbs. This month, I’ve been bouncing anywhere between 233-237.

Over the weekend, I just started to be in a bad head space. Yesterday, I had intense cravings for comfort food and I caved. Around 3:30pm I went to my favorite Mexican restaurant with my wife and I ate tortilla chips, refried beans, Spanish rice and hand made tortillas with fajitas. Afterwards, I ate a handful of Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Wafers (about 24g of sugar). Then, it happened. I crashed. I was out cold on the couch by 5:30pm.

This morning, I woke up with a raging headache and generally feeling hungover, a feeling I haven’t had in YEARS. However, I’m having my fat coffee as I write this and I’m going to be going for my three mile run in about 40 minutes. Back at it, as they teach in these forums, KCKO.

I guess I’m just writing to share that this experience WAS NOT WORTH IT. I’m not devastated that I weigh a few pounds too much today, I’m just not thinking it was worth the major crash last night or the headache this morning.

Thanks to all on these forums that encourage us. Peace.

(VLC.MD) #2

People don’t criticize those who fall off the wagon.
We do judge those that don’t get back on.

Welcome aboard !!!

Hey thats how we learn right ??? I know there are speed limits posted when i drive but everyone once in awhile I exceed the limit. When i go days exceeding and nobody cares i go even faster. and eventually a cop stops me reminds me why and well i am back to the speed limit. I guess your body is the cop and it just told you to KO

(Erin Macfarland ) #4

Do not judge yourself or punish yourself. Most likely you’ll experience this again. But it’s ok, it’s part of the process. Just notice what your circumstances were when it happened. Usually it’s stress. Congratulations on recovering from alcohol and drug addiction. That’s no small accomplishment!!

(Christopher Hodge) #5

In my personal experience, it’s unrealistic to think I’m never going to eat some carb-laden food at some point or another. So to ensure I don’t go overboard I plan a cheat day a month or two (or three) in advance and pick out all the things I’m missing (usually dark beer and burritos). Afterwards I’ll likely feel like crap, but then I’m reset for another few months and continue my journey. That’s just what works for me.

(Dawn) #6

As my new crush Dr. Fung would say…you have to live your life. If you chose to always skip parties or always skip the special dinner with your wife/friends, then life will get to be a little miserable. The keto way of living allows us to be a little flexible with our diets every now and again. Just do a quick 24-48 hour fast, get your exercise in and by the end of the week, your weight will be back down to normal, you will be feeling wonderful and you will be right back into ketosis. This wasn’t a relapse, this was a well deserved enjoyable fun evening. Now it’s time to get back to work.

Everything should be about balance. You eat a little too much, then balance by eating a little less. You eat too many carbs, balance by going back to restricting carbs <20g. We can always correct these small little blips by swinging the pendulum the other way until we are back in balance. Enjoy that BPC, KCKO

(Christopher Hodge) #7

Totally agree with this too. If you pig out, then maybe do a fasting day afterwards. Balance is key.

(Allan L) #8

I totally agree, both accidental relapsing and conscious decisions to relapse cause such a carb hangover the next day to 3 days its just not worth it.

Exercise and fasting is the fastest way to get back in the zone.

I’ve always advocated balance on any diet but with the keto diet my balance is now 100% keto with excessive keto food when appropriate!

(Ernest) #9

That’s life, KCKO!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

I am a sugar/carb addict as well as an alcoholic and can sympathize both with your reasons for reverting to your old way of eating and your experience of the result. But remember the old slogan, “relapse isn’t necessary for recovery,” and keto on.

(German Ketonian) #11

I know it’s easier said than done, but just try to forget it and get back to it! Keep in mind all the benefits of keto and stay motivated that way! Wish you well, sir!

(Danial Ficek) #12

Thanks all for the encouragement. Love these forums for that very reason.

(Charles Wood) #13

This makes me feel so much better. I fell off the wagon this last week. I was completely stressed out and been working some long hours. Not a good excuse, but I needed that comfort food too.

For me my joints ached for about a day. Is that common?

(Keto in Katy) #14

Good lord I used to love this stuff, all the Mexican cheesy-carby-goodness. I still have an occasional craving for it.

There’s a place near me that makes the most glorious flour tortillas I have ever had. Every few months I just do it and enjoy every bite. #notsorry

(Ruthanne Robertson) #15

My knee hurt for a couple days after my Panko breaded fish incident. Either from carbs or gluten or both. I too decided that it wasn’t worth it.