My first extended fast

(steven walford) #1

After listerning to the fasting show, I decided to give it a go.

I started at 12 on saturday and doing a water only fast, the hunger comes and goes as expected and looking at doing a 5 day fast. During the fast I will be supplimenting electrolytes, vitamins and omega oils.

Starting weight: 90kg
current weight: 88kg

Best wishes Steve, I’m in the midst of what I hope will be a 5 days fast. I have supplemented as well, and otherwise just coffee, tea and water.
The hunger does come and go, but is not unbearable. Most of it seems to be the psychological battle I believe. I’m glad you’re giving it a go! This is a wonderful place to find some cheerleaders and sound data as well.

(Tim W) #3

Good luck Steve!

Starting a 20 day fast tomorrow. Spouse is going for 30 (she is fasting for weight management, I’m doing it to prove I can and for autophagy).

What are omega oils and why are you using them?

(christa) #4

Way to go! I started a 4-day fast last night. It’s been about a month since my last EF, and much-needed after I fell off the keto wagon this weekend during a camping trip with friends. How’s day 2 going for you?

(steven walford) #5

Currently at the 4 day mark (96 hours) unfortunately I had insane hunger towards the end of the day of Monday and Tuesdays so I ended up eating some liver with some butter a few hours before bed.

Today my weight is 86.9kg which is a loss of 8.1kg/17.8lbs.

After day 5 I think I will go onto IF.

(Tim W) #6

It may sound crazy but I’ve found that each time you hit a new “longest fast” level, it will be easier to get to that point the next time.

Example, the first 24 hour fast is the worst! Then you wait a few days and do it again and it’s not so bad, so you push it to 48 hours and that second 24 hours is the worst! Then you wait a few weeks and do it again and it’s not so bad, so you push out to 72 hours and that last 24 hours is the worst! Rinse/wash/repeat.

Fung and Ramos talk about fasting being a muscle and my experiences agree with that, the body just seems to remember when it’s “time to eat” even though you may not need to intake nutrition for survival, making fasting such a powerful thing in that it re-sets those “clocks” and helps us to form new routines.

I’ve found that keeping any IF schedule of some sort helps as well, the longer the period of IF, the easier long term fasting tends to be (for me) BUT, the shorter the eating window, the more nutrition I have to get in and that can lead to feeling too full, it’s a trade-off.

Best of luck on your future efforts.

(steven walford) #7

Today was the last day and ended up at 86.7 which I havent been near in YEARS, happy to go back to “normal eating”, happy bunny :slight_smile:

(Tim W) #8

Your weight will go back up in the next few days. My spouse often loses a pound a day when fasting and puts about half of her total lost weight back on in the course of a few weeks, no matter how well/little/keto she eats.

Just telling you so you don’t beat yourself up over it. Once your weight re-stabilizes after normal eating (not gaining or losing) that will be the time to re-focus on weight loss (if that’s your goal).

Best of luck1

I agree @infromsea, I’ve noticed that once you set a new record it gets easier. In my case it’s mental I think. Takes out the “maybe I’m not meant to fast this long” head trash. Good point!