My First 3 Months: Life in Hell; Easiest Diet in the World!

(Cranford Coulter) #1

I had a trip to the ER with my 45th TIA (my second within a week, TIA, not ER trip) on Feb. 3. My BG was 515 and my A1C was 10.1. It had been 7.0 last September. I was admitted and they did the whole gamut of heart tests. My strokes and TIAs have all been migrainous, but this is the second time they found trouble elsewhere. I got scheduled for a right carotid endarterectomy on March 6. My visiting nurse, Frank, told me about this site and the podcasts. Frank sent me to the ER with my 46th TIA on Feb. 15th. I started Keto on Feb. 24, just between my 46th and 47th TIAs. I had my 48th TIA on March 1. I had my 49th the third week of March.
At 5am, April 13, I fell out of bed and lay unconscious, twitching on the floor. My wife could not rouse me. She called the ambulance. I don’t remember the ER, the CT scan, vomiting, or anything until they wheeled me into my room on the telemetry unit. The blood work showed that I was in ketosis, which was great news for me, since I had no reliable way of testing at home. I had trace ketones in my urine and my blood was slightly acidic. They misinterpreted the results and did not listen to me, however. They found lactate in my blood, so they assumed I had lactic acidosis, even though both my wife and myself told everyone that I was on the ketogenic diet, and I told them that my butt hurt from walking 5 miles and digging up lots of sod on Friday. That would explain the lactate. They gave me a bag of IV dextrose. That put my system out of whack! I put on six pounds in two days!
My neurologist thinks this was a seizure, due to the cumulative effects of my 6 strokes and dozens of TIAs. She increased one of my seizure meds that was used to treat something else, so now I can’t drive for at least three months.
But, the keto diet is the easist way of eating I have ever done! I am almost never hungry. My BG has come down to the normal range (90 to 110) without any meds or insulin. I am off of Losartan and my BP is routinely 115/79, instead of 135/90 on meds. I have lost about 15 pounds and four inches off my waist and more off my butt and middle.
It’s sustainable. If I could make it through these three months, I think I can handle whatever.
I forgot to mention, I had to have surgery on my neck again, yesterday, because the incision from the carotid rotorooter was oozing pus for two and half weeks.

(Carl Keller) #2

You’ve been through so much Cranford and I love your attitude. Stay positive and keep battling. I have a good feeling that things are going to keep getting better for you. :wink:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

It sounds like you’re up against some real challenges, I haven’t read much, (had to look up TIA) :wink:. I hope keto is helpful for you and you find some relief soon. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Lisa) #4

Sending you positive thoughts, Cranford. You’re doing so great already, here’s hoping everything keeps getting better for you! :heart:

(Cranford Coulter) #5

TIA is Transient Ischemic Attack, otherwise known as “mini-stroke.” They don’t show up on CT scans or MRIs right away. What I did not know until this February is that they do show up on MRIs later. I have 2 or 3 “centers of TIA activity” in my brain. I know I have experienced minor increased deficits with each round of them.

(Marianne) #6

This is so wonderful! Our bodies are so amazing, given the right tools to heal ourselves.