My Extended Fast

Today is the end of the sixth day of my extended fast. It is going well. I have been Keto since Aug 2016 (7+ months). I think I will go to Thursday.

Weight is down maybe 13 or so lbs. I saw 199 on the scale for the first time in 20 years this AM. Total weight loss is 80+ lbs (I have been telling people it is 70 to not scare them :wink:

I drink 2-3 coffees a day with Salt, Coconut Oil (~1 tsp), and cinnamon. Drink an ACV in the evening. No other stuff.

I did several 3-4 day fasts lasts year. Then I read that it gets easier after the first couple of days (which I also noticed) so I decided to do extended fasts.

I also did a 10 day fast and then a 9 day fast. I would have gone longer but the first one was ended by Thanksgiving and the second was ended by Christmas. I did learn some lessons about staying near the facilities since the body moves things very quickly after a fast.

I took a couple of months off from fasting (still did Keto) and then restarted the fast this past Monday night.

I use an Alcohol Breathalyzer to measure ketone levels. It only works well when I am a few days into the fast. It doesnā€™t work well when I am just doing the ā€œnormalā€ keto diet. I did a YouTube video on the Breathalyzer as a keto meter. It might help some people since it is much cheaper than other choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmQL4Pv7l-Y&t=42s

The Breathalyzer numbers have gone from 0.120 mg/L up to a maximum of 0.330 mg/L. That correlates to a maximum of 0.06 (almost legally ā€œdrunkā€ without any booze).

My Ketostix show about as dark as they possible can and they get deeper color as the fast goes on.They have shown color for 7 months solid now. Never not in color.

Blood Glucose levels the past two days have gone from 72 to 105. The 105 was Dawn Effect (8am). The 70ā€™s were in the evening.

I stop taking Metformin about 3-4 days in. I figure with my Blood Glucose in the 70ā€™s thereā€™s not much point.

(Marc) #2

Just curiousā€¦ Why salt in your coffee?

Mortons Lite Salt. Has Potassium in it. Helps keep away cramps and keeps up electrolytes that may be lost during fasting. I havenā€™t had leg cramps since I started putting some (shake or two) in my coffee.

(Dean) #4

any tips on getting past the 2-3 days of fasting? thats the longest i seem to be able to do it, ive only tried it twice.

(Zack F) #5

Make your next fast 4 days and eat on the 5th day. Start a log of your fast here for accountability.

(Dean) #6

yeah, i could try that next time I give it a go, I seem to get light headed and weak at about hour 48 or so, I donā€™t think i was watching my sodium intake as good as i shouuld have been

(John) #7

Iā€™ve been too chicken to do a fast, I have gone 36 hours without eating but thatā€™s it. I get hungry lol!

On a side note I got some Ketostix when my wife started, I was 4 months in, and I have never registered any at all. I havenā€™t had more than 20g in 7 months, guess I just donā€™t pass any extra.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #8

Yes, you NEED salt especially when fasting! When you are carb loaded your kidneys store sodium but release it all when you go LCHF which means you need to eat about 4 to 5 grams a day. That is 1.5 to 2 teaspoons each day.

And no, this much Sally will not hurt you, it is actually Dr Stephen Phinneyā€™s ā€˜sweet spotā€™ for sodium!

I finished up that 10 day fast. Ate Thursday-Sunday (4 days OMAD). Got tired of eating and decided to go on another fast starting after dinner last Sunday. I am now on day 6 going into day 7 of another fast. Will probably end Wednesday or Thursday (10 or 11 days).

Had a lot of success ending the last fast with eating 2 T of Chia seeds for a couple of days before the end of the fast. Made the exit from the fast extremely easy with no issues.

This new fast is going well. Decided to do 2T of Chia seeds. Also doing Coconut Oil or Ghee in my coffee.

Bought a Ketonix and it isnā€™t working very well for me. My peak today (6 days into a fast) is 15 out of 100. My Alcohol Breathalyzer is working much better than the Ketonix (0.044 is over 1/2 ā€œdrunkā€ level). The Ketonix is a new one (Red color and ā€œUSBā€ model - 2017). Contacted them for a return number a couple of days ago and so far crickets.

My GKI is 0.6 which I think is an incredible numbers. Ketostix are dark color. Blood sugar is 72. Blood Ketones are 6.8 for the last two days. Decided to keep taking Metformin through this entire fast to order to minimize my Blood Sugar.

Energy has been good. Did 30 minutes on my bike trainer a couple of days ago (I donā€™t want to over-exercise but I did want to see what level of tolerance I have while fasting). Plus, Spring is here and I want to bike ride this summer.

Weight loss since Aug 1 2016 is over 80 lbs. Dropped into One-der land with the last fast and am back down there again.