My Extended Fast to improve my Atrial Fribrillation symptoms

a-fib

(Tom Seest) #81

2017-03-29 - 08:30 AM - 181.5 hours - Morning Data Dump

Fasting is a journey of feasting and fasting. You want to learn as you go, and grow as an individual. In theory, you make many health improvements along the way.

I ate 19 ounces of Liverwurst last night in a period of 5 hours. I found it difficult to do (eating that much), but worth it to give a wide spectrum of nutrients and protein to my body. In theory, I’ve positioned myself well for another 4 to 7 days of fasting. As you will see, my fasting blood glucose is back to 62 and my blood ketone level is at 4.8 giving me a GKI of 0.72. So, a brief feast, and I’m back into the range where metabolic therapy continues. I’m not sure that this will fix my heart, but I have hope that it is helping on a cellular level. I find the entire experiment a journey in learning.

Stress levels are still high but will continue to improve through the weekend. I’m doing the best I can given the circumstances.

It can take some time to take all the measurements, gather all the data, etc. that I have too to update my spreadsheet and take all the associated photos. So, the only thing I can say is that all of these readings occurred within 30 minutes of 9:30AM +/- 60 minutes.

Here is my Blood Glucose reading from my Precision Xtra:

Here is my Blood Ketone reading from my Precision Xtra:

Here is my Blood Pressure as measured by my QuardioArm:

Here are the readings that my MocaHeart provided:

Here is my Blood Pressure reading from my MocaCuff:

Here is my heart rate data from my Wahoo TICKR:

Here is my Heart Rate Variability Data (HRV) from Elite HRV:

Here is my EKG data from my Kardia Mobile:

Here is the data from my Sleep app on my Apple Watch:

(Tom Seest) #82

2016-03-29 - 1:00 PM - 185.0 Hours - Spreadsheet is updated.

I’ve posted the spreadsheet here, and have updated what I can to date. I’ve added in the blood lab work data (far right columns).

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AnnheiLCcfWxgaQGwWUHCpqZ3MK_MA

(elaina_mary) #83

This is incredible I hope it fixes your ticker! Perhaps, retirement? :slight_smile:

(Tom Seest) #84

2017-03-29 - 2:30 PM - 186.5 hours - Afternoon Data Dump

Just another stressful afternoon and the numbers reflect it. I continue to try to reduce stress.

It can take some time to take all the measurements, gather all the data, etc. that I have too to update my spreadsheet and take all the associated photos. So, the only thing I can say is that all of these readings occurred within 30 minutes of 2:30 PM +/- 15 minutes.

(Tom Seest) #85

2017-03-29 - 8:00 PM - 192.0 hours - Evening Data Dump

Reached the end of 8 days of fasting, with one feast. I’m happy with the data, happy with what I’m learning about feasting and fasting, and thankful that I can try this.

It can take some time to take all the measurements, gather all the data, etc. that I have too to update my spreadsheet and take all the associated photos. So, the only thing I can say is that all of these readings occurred within 30 minutes of 8:00 PM +/- 15 minutes.

(Tom Seest) #86

2017-03-30 - 04:00 AM - 200.0 hours - Morning Data Dump

Another encouraging night with the heart rate. Spent 1.23 hours below zone 1 in a normal range. Wasn’t awake, so I couldn’t do an EKG, but I suspect I had normal sinus rhythm then. But, my time in Zone 0, 1 and 2 tells me that rest really helps. Blood glucose and ketone numbers still look great. Feeling great overall; even with the stress. Still no hunger.

It can take some time to take all the measurements, gather all the data, etc. that I have too to update my spreadsheet and take all the associated photos. So, the only thing I can say is that all of these readings occurred within 30 minutes of 4:00AM +/- 30 minutes.

Here is the data from my Apple Watch for yesterday:

Here is the data from MyFitnessPal from yesterday:

(Tom Seest) #87

2017-03-30 - 7:15 AM - Data Correction

It’s been a stressful week, with limited time for data entry, but I’ve finally had some time to correct some data.

The Beef Liverwurst that I consumed on Tuesday during my feast comes from US Wellness Meats and can be seen or purchased here:

http://grasslandbeef.com/grass-fed-beef-liverwurst

When I made my initial entries into MyFitnessPal, I could not find their food item in the database (their search feature sucks), and didn’t have the time to track down the nutrition information. This morning, I found the data for this Liverwurst in the MyFitnessPal database, and I’ve corrected the data for that day. It looks like my carb / caloric data for that day wasn’t as bad as it initially looked.

(Tom Seest) #88

2017-03-30 - 11:00 AM - 207.0 hours - Late Morning Data Dump

Blood pressure numbers are coming down, so that is good. Pretty pleased with where the heart rate is headed. Stressful afternoon ahead, so I took readings early.

It can take some time to take all the measurements, gather all the data, etc. that I have too to update my spreadsheet and take all the associated photos. So, the only thing I can say is that all of these readings occurred within 30 minutes of 11:00 AM +/- 15 minutes.

(Tom Seest) #89

2017-03-30 - 9:00 PM - 217.0 hours - Evening Data Dump

I’ve made the decision to eat again for a day or two. My wife’s 50th birthday is next Friday, and I want to be able to enjoy an evening out with her at her favorite restaurant. So, I had home made beef heart soup.

It can take some time to take all the measurements, gather all the data, etc. that I have too to update my spreadsheet and take all the associated photos. So, the only thing I can say is that all of these readings occurred within 30 minutes of 9:00 PM +/- 15 minutes.

Here is a photo of my Beef Heart soup:

Here is the data for MyFitnessPal for the day:

Here is the data from my Apple Watch for the day:

(Tom Seest) #90

2017-03-31 - 06:30 AM - 226.5 hours - Morning Data Dump

Eating again today in preparation for more fasting to come. Photos include breakfast and lunch.

It can take some time to take all the measurements, gather all the data, etc. that I have too to update my spreadsheet and take all the associated photos. So, the only thing I can say is that all of these readings occurred within 30 minutes of 6:30AM +/- 30 minutes.

Here is breakfast:

Here is lunch:

(Tom Seest) #91

2017-04-01 - 08:00 AM - 252.0 hours - Morning Data Dump

It can take some time to take all the measurements, gather all the data, etc. that I have too to update my spreadsheet and take all the associated photos. So, the only thing I can say is that all of these readings occurred within 30 minutes of 8:00AM +/- 30 minutes.

(Tom Seest) #92

2017-04-02 - 11:30 AM - 279.5 hours - Morning Data Dump

The last couple of days have been a little depressing. I get that way at times. I just need to keep on keeping on. I do plan on eating today, and then starting fasting again tonight.

It can take some time to take all the measurements, gather all the data, etc. that I have too to update my spreadsheet and take all the associated photos. So, the only thing I can say is that all of these readings occurred within 30 minutes of 11:30AM +/- 30 minutes.

Here is the data from my Wahoo TICKR:

Here is the MyFitnessPal data from yesterday:

(Tom Seest) #93

2017-04-02 - 2:30 PM - 282.5 hours - Bicycle Ride Data Dump

Outdoor temperature was finally high enough that I could ride again comfortably. I can’t spin as fast as I used to, so I’m much colder when I ride now. Today, we had high winds out of the south. Normally, without wind, I’ll average about 7.00 MPH given my present condition. If my heart rate was normal, I’d average about 13MPH in these conditions. But, it’s not, and I’m not. It was enjoyable, even though we had the wind. I’m still not hungry, even after the ride.

You’ll also notice that the Strava App and Cyclemeter App calculate calorie expenditure differently. This is happening even though I’m using a Heart Rate Strap and the Apple Watch. You’ll also note the Extreme Suffer Score from the Strava App.

Here is a photo of me during the ride:

Here is the ride data from my Cyclemeter App:

Here is the ride data from my Strava App:

(Tom Seest) #94

2017-04-03 - 4:00 AM - 296.0 hours - Morning Data Dump

Had trouble staying asleep, which is typical for Sunday nights for me. So, I got up early and came in. I hope to go the entire day without eating.

It can take some time to take all the measurements, gather all the data, etc. that I have too to update my spreadsheet and take all the associated photos. So, the only thing I can say is that all of these readings occurred within 30 minutes of 4:00AM +/- 30 minutes.

(Cheryl) #95

I’m so impressed!!! Looking forward to following your amazing journey.

(joievawter) #96

As I went through looking at the data, to me it seems you are trending in the right direction with some bumps. This overall…Do you agree?

(Retta Stephenson) #97

@tdseest
Hi Tom, how goes the experiment? Did you find the fasting to help with the AFib?

Since I have that too, I’ve also been doing research, and found some interesting info re the heart muscle and magnesium. If you’ve already covered this ground, feel free to ignore. :slight_smile:

Also, for years I’ve had debilitating muscle cramps. Nothing helped. No answers from doctors. Electrolytes checked again and again. Everything “normal”. Taking magnesium oxide pills (found out recently that is the least absorbable kind of mag). Yet the intense muscle cramping remained. And now Afib, among other things.

I recently learned that the test the doctors do to determine magnesium levels, the magnesium blood serum test, only shows about 1% of what is really going on with magnesium in the human body. I was always “normal”. Yet I recently had a Magnesium RBC (magnesium red blood cell) test run, and I was LOW. This test more accurately depicts what is going on in the rest of the body, muscles, tissues, etc. And I learned that being low, over time, can affect heart muscle, among other issues.

Bought the eye opening book by Dr Carolyn Dean about magnesium (sorry, I hate the title; I am instantly turned off by any title containing the word “miracle” in it!). It is called the Magnesium Miracle, the revised and updated version.
https://smile.amazon.com/Magnesium-Miracle-Revised-Updated/dp/034549458X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1491887260&sr=1-1&keywords=magnesium+miracle+by+dr.+carolyn+dean

What a shocker to see myself and most of my problems in the book! Anyway, here is an article summing up the AFib connection, if you are interested: http://www.naturalnews.com/038892_magnesium_atrial_fibrillation_disease.html

And if all this is old hat to you, sorry! I’m just so excited to finally see progress with the intense muscle cramping, and the hope of slowly healing my heart muscle, so thought I’d share it.

Oh, and I completed my first 24 hr water fast: NO AFIB during it. Talk about encouraging! :smiley:

(Tom Seest) #98

Yes. I agree.

Unfortunately, my grandmother died last week, and I don’t like fasting during times that can be stressful. So, I quit fasting. I started fasting again last night, and will post updates later this week.

Thanks.

(Tom Seest) #99

Yes. I have found that fasting seems to be improving my numbers and my overall well being. I had to take a week off, as my grandmother died, so I used the opportunity to feast before returning to fasting last night.

I have read most of Dr. Carolyn Dean’s work, and it’s good stuff. I had my RBC levels for Potassium and Magnesium run about a month ago, and all my numbers were within the range. My serum levels (not as accurate) were also in range. I’m not convinced that the ranges are accurate or meaningful for people fasting or on a ketogenic diet, but I was in range.

I’m currently experimenting with some Vitamin Bx supplementation and Magnesium, as well as stress reduction along with the fasting, so hopefully; I’ll return to normal sinus rhythm soon.

I hope you are still doing well, and figuring things out.

(roxanna) #100

So how do you supplement your magnesium now?