My Extended Fast to improve my Atrial Fribrillation symptoms

a-fib

(Tom Seest) #21

I’m glad to get an update from you. It’s too bad you can’t get above the .3.

Regarding the norepinephrine levels, I’m pretty aware of the problem. In fact, I may be in A-Fib because of an overabundance of Epinephrine in my blood stream, etc. While I had my viral pneumonia, I was hitting my asthma inhaler (epinephrine) pretty hard, as I had a ton of difficulty breathing, and was in a ton of stress while working (I worked the 3 weeks that I had the pneumonia, because I work for people that don’t really care). So, I’m not worried about going into A-Fib because of norepinephrine levels, as I’m pretty much in tachycardia full-time already anyway. I am going to monitor the heart rate closely, keep an eye on my EKG’s, etc, and if the direction gets worse, I will eat protein and reset to fasting again.

One of my hopes for the fast is that I can destress enough, to get some of the excess adrenaline, etc out of my system, but it may not be possible.

(Tom Seest) #22

017-03-22 - 09:00 PM - 25 hours fasted - Evening Device Readings

I had a good day, but a stressful day, so I was ready to sleep.

It can take some time to take all the measurements, gather all the data, etc. that I have too to update my spreadsheet and take all the associated photos. So, the only thing I can say is that all of these readings occurred within 15 minutes of 9:00PM +/- 15 minutes.

Here is my Evening Blood Glucose reading:

Here is my Evening Blood Ketone reading:

Here is my Evening QuardioArm readings:

Here is my Evening MocaHeart reading:

Here is my Evening MocaCuff reading:

Here is my Evening heart rate data started after my last heart rate track:

Here is my Heart Rate Variability Data (HRV) from Elite HRV:

Here is my EKG data from my Kardia Mobile:

Here is my excercise data from my Apple Watch for the Day:

Here is my eating / exercise data from MyFitnessPal for the Day:

(Tom Seest) #23

017-03-23 - 06:30 AM - 34.5 hours fasted - Morning Data Dump

I had a good night of sleep. Heart rate was a little higher than I’d like, but no where near as high as it has been. So, really nothing to worry about.

It can take some time to take all the measurements, gather all the data, etc. that I have too to update my spreadsheet and take all the associated photos. So, the only thing I can say is that all of these readings occurred within 30 minutes of 6:30AM +/- 15 minutes.

Here is my Blood Glucose reading from my Precision Xtra:

Here is my Blood Ketone reading from my Precision Xtra:

Here is my Blood Pressure as measured by my QuardioArm:

Here are the readings that my MocaHeart provided:

Here is my Blood Pressure reading from my MocaCuff:

Here is my heart rate data from my Wahoo TICKR:

Here is the data from my Sleep app on my Apple Watch:

(Tom Seest) #24

2016-03-23 - 8:00 AM - Spreadsheet is updated.

I’ve posted the spreadsheet here, and have updated what I can to date. I’ll be adding to it, modifying it, etc. as time progresses:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AnnheiLCcfWxgaQGwWUHCpqZ3MK_MA

(Tom Seest) #25

2016-03-23 - 8:15 AM - Blood Draw

I’m headed in to get another round of blood work done at the lab. I figured I would post my last set of results here, in case you want to see what my blood work looks like. This blood test was drawn on 02-23-2017.

I’m having another similar panel done today, so that I have data from the beginning of my period of fasting, and occasional eating.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #26

[quote=“rettakat, post:17, topic:9419”]
I’ve been wanting to do longer fasting. Even 36 hours would allow me to take meds with food at the beginning in the morning, and then take them the next day at night. (I have some meds that must be taken with food).
[/quote] @rettakat Megan Ramos and Jimmy Moore discuss taking medications on extended fasts on Episode 8 of the Fasting Talk podcast at about minute 24. Megan recommends using psyllium husk, chia seed, flax seed, or a small serving of leafy greens
http://www.fastingtalk.com/8-cholesterol-keto-vs-fasting-for-fat-burning-autophagy-causing-pain-gastritis-adrenal-issues-fasting-with-a-gastric-sleeve/

(Tom Seest) #27

017-03-23 - 12:00 PM - 40.0 hours fasted - Morning Data Dump

Lots of movement this morning. Lots of heart rate activity. Gave blood, like a client at the attorney’s office. No trouble bleeding.

It can take some time to take all the measurements, gather all the data, etc. that I have too to update my spreadsheet and take all the associated photos. So, the only thing I can say is that all of these readings occurred within 30 minutes of 12:00 PM +/- 15 minutes.

Here are the readings that my Mocha Heart provided:

(Sierra) #28

It seems strange that a person who wants to take control of their health is often labeled a problem patient by their physician. It does seem however that if you don’t take the meds, follow the advice and fit into the 10 minute appointment time allotted you are labeled a problem patient. Even though the intention is to take control of your health and work collaboratively with you MD. I’m not sure your situation but have you looked for another electrophysiologists that you trust and is willing to work with you? Or even a general practitioner (MD, PA, NP, Natralpath) that will work with you? I think Jimmy Moore has a list of providers.
Anyhow, back to the potassium supplementation. It’s a great question on how much to supplement. Too little, or for that matter too much potassium and you can have fatal arrhythmias. Generally people with ok renal function can excrete surplus potassium, but I’m not sure about fasting/nutritionally ketotic people. It’s a question I’ve wondered for myself. I have been fasting 1-4 day fasts and I’m currently breastfeeding a two year old so I’ve been supplementing on my fasts as well. I can tell when my Mg is low (muscle cramps), but there is no way to tell if K is low without a lab or an i-stat machine. I wonder if the fasting institutions measure electrolytes on a daily basis?
Also, I’m wondering your objection to medications? The antiarrhythmics allow for heart rate control (I saw your objection that your HR is similar to when you exercise). But I wonder if you’ve considered the electrical and physical remodeling that occurs when your in a persistent state of a-fib. It’s a saying we tell people a lot “atrial fibrillation begets atrial fibrillation”. There is actually down regulating of certain channels in the cell (Calcium I think), and the myocardial cells become hyper polarized with potassium. But the antiarrhythmic drugs prevent this from occurring while your trying to rectify the underlying cause by fasting.
Also, I saw that your using fish oil as a blood thinner. I don’t think the dose is enough though to get the level of thinning you need. I also don’t know if its possible to get your blood anticoagulated enough with just fish oil. When people are in a-fib and that atrial kick is lost the blood just hangs out in the atria and clots. If a clot is dislodged from the right atrium you have a pulmonary embolism. If it’s dislodged from the left atrium you risk a stroke.
So with the meds, I don’t understand your rational for not taking them if the sequela of refusing them is so severe?
Anyhow, I’m so curious to see if fasting can help or cure your a-fib. I’m just concerned for your wellbeing as what your doing is quite risky. But of course your an adult and can do as you please. I hope this works for you. A-fib is a bi*ch to deal with, especially when your healthy one day and have a chronic, at times debilitating, electrical problem the next.

(Michelle) #29

Following! Very interested to see how your body responds to this!

(Retta Stephenson) #30

@Becky, I appreciate the link. I listened to that podcast, but was more focused on getting the info about gastritis (which I have) and sort of missed the part about the psyllium, chia, etc. I’ll listen again! Thank you so much.

(Tom Seest) #31

I’m actually not opposed to other cardiologists or EP’s. I’m just not looking for one now. As a whole, they seem bent on therapies rather than looking for causation. I am working with a local functional doc to determine cause.

The electrolyte testing is somewhat difficult because of the need to test both serum and intracellular counts. I think the current technology is somewhat limiting. The only thing I can think to do is gradually increase potassium and watch the heart rate and other markers. Regarding Magnesium, like you said, it’s much easier to detect deficiencies there.

Regarding medications; I have many objections to them; too many to mention here. I’m aware of the physical remodeling that occurs, but I won’t pursue that until I know the cause, etc. If I don’t know after 6 months, I’ll start looking at more conventional treatment options. But, I note your concerns. Trust me; I’ve understand the risks.

I’m actually taking fish oil, among other things for thinning the blood. I’ll provide more details as I get time. Are they as effective as a med? Probably not, but I’m willing to take the risk. My current risk score for a stroke is zero, as calculated by both common methods, so I take a measured risk.

I will note that there are also plenty of people taking the meds that still stroke out after returning to normal sinus rhythm. In my case, since I’m gradually improving, I will probably start taking the thinners if I return to NSR or get close.

(Tom Seest) #32

Their point with the seeds was that the effect was to provide the effect of food for the medications, but most of the fiber actually passes and doesn’t get absorbed.

(Stephanie Hanson) #33

Your BP data is looking improved. Yay!!!

(Tom Seest) #34

Yesterday was a really stressful day. I don’t believe it is normally that high. But, I had a ton of work stress yesterday.

(Retta Stephenson) #35

I think I missed that part because I had been looking forward to hearing answer to this question that was submitted by the listener about fasting with gastritis. And I was frustrated when Megan suggested carbonated water “to break up the gas bubbles” in the stomach. Um… nope. Clearly she mixed up “gas” with gastritis. I’ve ended up in the ER 3 times with severe ulcer-like symptoms and GI tract spasms, until I finally got it under control. But now they want, literally, $1000 per pill for the only thing that stops my attacks once started. So I can’t afford to set it off, so am cautious. This is another condition I am trying to heal with a healthy keto way of eating.

But the idea of the chia seeds, etc, is still a good one. I’m already planning a trial run for 3 days to see how it goes! :smile:

(Tom Seest) #36

Hope it helps. It might allow you to get your ketone level higher, and your GKI lower.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #37

[quote=“rettakat, post:30, topic:9419”]
missed the part about the psyllium, chia, etc. I’ll listen again!
[/quote] I do this with podcasts too, I thought it was Episode 8, 9, or 10 and I heard info differently when I listened to Episode 8 again. I was happy to listen to the correct episode on the first try :grinning: :grinning:

(Tom Seest) #38

2017-03-23 - 8:00 PM - 48.0 hours fasted - Evening Data Dump

Good day. Got lots of work done. Moving towards more stress relief. Happy to have made it 48 hours without hunger, and I have another 8 hours of sleep ahead of me.

It can take some time to take all the measurements, gather all the data, etc. that I have too to update my spreadsheet and take all the associated photos. So, the only thing I can say is that all of these readings occurred within 30 minutes of 8:00 PM +/- 15 minutes.

(Tom Seest) #39

2016-03-23 - 9:00 PM - Spreadsheet is updated.

I’ve posted the spreadsheet here, and have updated what I can to date. I’ll be adding to it, modifying it, etc. as time progresses:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AnnheiLCcfWxgaQGwWUHCpqZ3MK_MA

(Tom Seest) #40

017-03-24 - 04:30 AM - 56.5 hours fasted - Morning Data Dump

I didn’t get much sleep last night, as I had to get into the office early. So, today will be a more stressful day. I will probably leave the office early to get some more rest.

It can take some time to take all the measurements, gather all the data, etc. that I have too to update my spreadsheet and take all the associated photos. So, the only thing I can say is that all of these readings occurred within 30 minutes of 4:30AM +/- 30 minutes.

Here is the data from my Sleep app on my Apple Watch:

Here is the data from yesterday from MyFitnessPal

Here is the exercise data from my Apple Watch from yesterday: